PDA

View Full Version : Majestic Basses and New Harddrives

James W.G. Smith
04-16-2005, 09:33 PM
Quick questions:

1) Does Majestic Basses come with acoustic bass guitars (fretted kind)? and...

2) My sampling hard drive just crashed so I need a new one. I hear the WD Raptors are good, any other good ones (for sampling drives at least)?

Thanks,

James W.G. Smith

Stefan Podell
04-16-2005, 09:58 PM
2) Here's a vote for the Raptor. I tested it against the 250GB WD IDE drive, and the Raptor was far better on rendering (almost no dropouts). Strangely, striping 2 Raptors in RAID0 gave slightly worse performance.

- Stefan

James W.G. Smith
04-16-2005, 10:47 PM
Do you think I should just get 1 then? I was going to replace both of my old ones (about 2 months old HA!) because they are the same model and considering the whole "crash" thing (head-crash for those who where wondering) I don't really trust them anymore. The hard part is going to be making the company give me my money back :( .

James W.G. Smith

Stefan Podell
04-16-2005, 11:20 PM
Well, the only drag on Raptors is that they're only 74 (or 36... eek) GB. I bought two because I can fill them up. But unless there's a configuration change in the RAID that will speed it up, I'm going to be using them as two separate drives.

So whether you buy 1 or 2 is really only determined by how much space you need.

- Stefan

johnyc
04-16-2005, 11:38 PM
check out the diamond max 10's with 16mb caches. They come in large capacities too.. 200, 250,300gb. Might also want to look into the Seagate 7200.8's as well.
Might also want to look into NCQ.. I don't know much about it myself and how useful it would be in large sample library work, but theoretically it sounds like it could speed things up.. I really have no idea about real world performance gain though..
Anyone have any experience with NCQ that is coming out on the latest SATA drives??

James W.G. Smith
04-17-2005, 12:56 AM
check out the diamond max 10's with 16mb caches.

lol, the one that crashed was a DiamondMax Plus 9, so I think I will stay away from those :D

James W.G. Smith

johnyc
04-17-2005, 10:49 AM
lol, the one that crashed was a DiamondMax Plus 9, so I think I will stay away from those :D

James W.G. Smith

hmmm that sucks.. Did you RMA it?
yeah I'd rather get Seagate or WD myself. Seagate has 5 year warranty too. But I think I'm going to try these diamondmax 10's. Supposedly they are just as fast (if not faster) as the Raptors..

James W.G. Smith
04-17-2005, 12:58 PM
hmmm that sucks.. Did you RMA it?
yeah I'd rather get Seagate or WD myself. Seagate has 5 year warranty too. But I think I'm going to try these diamondmax 10's. Supposedly they are just as fast (if not faster) as the Raptors..

I will soon, but I have to get a new hard drive anyway. I can't sit around and wait for them to fix it, I have too much work to do :( . I am hoping that I can get my money refunded because I just bought the drive a month and a half ago for my new computer. Maybe they will be nice and just do it :D .

James W.G. Smith

Anyone know about those basses?

Blazinghammer
04-17-2005, 04:14 PM
Strangely, striping 2 Raptors in RAID0 gave slightly worse performance.

- Stefan

Is that a software RAID? From what I hear, CPU cycles are stolen in this config (hence the performance hit). Hardware RAID is the way to go.

Blessings,

Stefan Podell
04-17-2005, 11:33 PM
Is that a software RAID? From what I hear, CPU cycles are stolen in this config (hence the performance hit). Hardware RAID is the way to go.

Blessings,

Two different hardware raids, both controllers on my motherboard: VIA KT800 and Promise. I'm surprised it played out that way. I should get some disk benchmark tool to compare.

-Stefan

neoTypic
04-18-2005, 04:11 AM
Has anyone checked out the Maxtor MaXLine III NCQ? 250GB, 16MB Cache, and is real close to the Raptors in the benchmarks: http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2094&p=6 and they're a lot cheaper. Heh.

James W.G. Smith
04-19-2005, 04:36 AM
BUMP!

ANYONE know about those basses? That was the main reason for this after all... Doug? Nick? Anyone?

James W.G. Smith

Doug Rogers
04-19-2005, 09:42 AM
BUMP!

ANYONE know about those basses? That was the main reason for this after all... Doug? Nick? Anyone?

James W.G. Smith

Majestic has an acoustic bass. Read the review here -

http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=YT-103

- Doug

James W.G. Smith
04-19-2005, 03:07 PM
Yeah, I was talking more along the lines of a regular old fretted bass guitar. Got anything that has one (for under $300)?

James W.G. Smith

SemperHiFi
04-22-2005, 06:29 AM
Sorry for the late response, James. Majestic Basses does NOT have the acoustic bass you are looking for. While it has a pretty nice acoustic stand-up, it doesn't have the fretted acoustic bass. If you're still interested in the product, I can answer some questions, as it seems not a whole lot of people bought that library. Kind of a pain for me to get answers to my own questions.

Good luck with the HD,

- Josh

Doug Rogers
04-22-2005, 08:39 AM
Quantum Leap Hardcore Bass XP has one -

http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=EW-156

James W.G. Smith
04-22-2005, 04:42 PM
Quantum Leap Hardcore Bass XP has one -

http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=EW-156

Hmm, I'll probably go with this one then, as long as there are some electric basses that can sound nice and smooth at least :D . I just like to keep my options open, but I really want an acoustic bass guitar to go with stuff I write with RealGuitar. Thanks!

James W.G. Smith