PDA

View Full Version : Hardware platform for the symphonic orchestra

astavi
06-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Hi, I'm thinking about purchasing the symphonic library come july (platinum or gold depending on how crazy the sale is). I'm currently using a macbook (intel core 2 duo 2.4), and often find it straining to handle the audio applications I run on it (logic express 8 and reason 4). That said, I'm going to need a slave computer setup dedicated to the library.

I have an old pentium 4 2.4 (single core) with a high quality sound card on it (Sw1000xg), and some extra cards lying around with digital outs (sblive with optical/spdif, sblive with 1/8" digital out). I've been thinking about picking up a few more machines from my university's auction barn and setting them all up as a farm either using the digital outs or plasq's wormhole2 over a local network (and that free windows network midi program...don't remember the name offhand).

Size/weight isn't really an issue here because I'll likely gut the computers and make a custom enclosure for the set, but performance/cost is. Would I be better off using a dual core computer as far as performance is concerned? Will I need one or two extra systems?

Also, windows licensing is going to be an issue. I'm assuming that the computers come preloaded with windows XP and each have their own licenses, but seeing as how they'd come from an academic institution, there's a chance they wouldn't. That begs one question: how do the kompakt and PLAY versions run under WINE on linux?

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Jay Coffman
06-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Hey Astavi,

Dual core machines will give you better performance. The Pentium IV running at 2.4 ghz comes just under our minimum requirements, while a dual core is our recommend computer spec. Also included under the system requirements (http://www.soundsonline.com/Quantum-Leap-Goliath-pr-EW-176.html) are supported operating systems -- OSX, Win Vista and XP (both 32 bit and 64 bit). There's a list of officially supported sequencers on the system requirements page too.