PDA

View Full Version : System evaluation and advice

Royce
06-03-2008, 03:37 PM
This is my second post, so please be gentle. :)

This is my first sound library, so forgive me if there are some common things I don't know.

I would like to run my computer hardware by you guys as I have a couple of questions.

1. is this system ok to run the Fab Four virtual instruments

2. what can I do if anything, to improve the systems performance.

My system is: Windows XP Pro SP2
ASRock ConRoeXFire eSATA2 Socket T Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E6400 @ 2.13Ghz
3.00 GB Ram
2 x Seagate 7200.10 320GB HD in raid
1 Seagate 7200.9 300GB HD

Thank you for any input you have, it is greatly appreciated.

Royce

persentio
06-04-2008, 07:55 PM
Firstly, I don't suggest you post the exact same thread multiple times. At the most, just try bumping your thread.

Ok now I personally feel the MOBO is a bit too old; perhaps you could get a model that has an LGA775 socket instead and RAM modules that support faster clock speeds.

Your RAM and HDD look fine to me; although you might want to do away with RAID. Some users have posted here that it gives them more problems with no noticeable increase in performance.

Here are the requirements stipulated by EW for running PLAY; you probably want to base your choice of new MOBO and better processor on this.

# MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR PC:
# P4 2.5Ghz or faster, 2GB RAM, Windows XP SP 2 or Vista, sound card with ASIO drivers, DVD drive,
# iLok required (not included), internet connection required for one-time product activation.

RECOMMENDED PC SYSTEM:
# Core 2 Duo 2.5Ghz or faster processor, 4GB RAM, sound card with ASIO drivers, 64-bit OS and host, DVD drive,
# iLok required (not included), internet connection required for one-time product activation.

Lastly, you can view the FAQ for more tips on improving PLAY's performance.
http://support.soundsonline.com/faq/index.php?action=artikel&cat=1&id=129&artlang=en

johng
06-04-2008, 08:15 PM
RAID does not help much at all. Instead, it's better to put different sample libraries on different drives, as balanced as possible.

And Persentio is right -- that is not really the killer computer.

But you should get some functionality -- just may not be able to run more than one instrument at a time, which would bug me. I suggest you get a Mac Pro and crush the technology hindrance -- time is more important than money.

Royce
06-05-2008, 12:00 AM
Please accept my apology for the duplicate posts, they were unintentional, due to me being confused. (if a moderator is reading this, could you please remove the other two posts of mine in the Hardware section) Thanks for your input guys!..This is just what i was hoping for..I don't know about the MAC Pro, as i've been a PC person from the start, but i will go look it up!..If you guys were gonna build a PC just for Samples, what would you put in it?..you know, Motherboard, Processor, Hard Drives, Soundcard, etc..If you could, tell me the manufacturer and part name or number of these things, and that way i'll be able to go out on the web and see what it will cost me to build it!..I really don't know what's available right now, or even how to pick the best stuff, that's why i'm asking you guys!..Thanks again, Royce

johng
06-05-2008, 10:47 AM
I agree this is all complicated. I built seven music PCs from the ground up -- total time sink, even though I saved money up front (a lot, actually). However, I think the prices of the pre-built ones are looking a lot more interesting these days, plus you get three year warranties in some cases, plus you get support, all of which are worth a lot.

I have yet to see my Mac Pro break a sweat, even with tons of VIs on it, so I reiterate that as an option. Alternatively, if I were building a PC, I'd look first at Vision DAW or Sonica Labs or some of the other ready-made music PC builders unless you are a monster technology guru.

That said, if you really want to build it yourself, there is this awesome research that Vatroslav did, right on this forum! It is an amazing and generous piece of research from someone who knows more than most people about all this:

http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/showthread.php?t=12832

Royce
06-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Thanks for that post John, and for that link...Whew!..oh boy..I'm WAY over my head with trying to 'Build' my own computer..I'm wondering if it's possible to upgrade my system with a new motherboard, processor, and ram?..Can i do that, and keep the same hard drives, DVD drive, and sound card? (Audiophile 192)..If so, what motherboard and processor should i go with?..sorry for all the questions, but i think it's better to ask someone who knows than try to find your way through the fog! Thanks, Royce

natierau
06-11-2008, 01:54 AM
What is the verdict then, John would you suggest getting a octa core mac pro with some of those scsi harddrives?