PDA

View Full Version : MacBookPro and FireWire

raywong
06-06-2008, 10:29 PM
I am having problem with the new MacBookPro and M-audio FW1814. OS is 10.5.3, and all drivers are up to date. Is this a hardware problem that can never be fixed?

persentio
06-07-2008, 12:44 AM
From what I have currently checked in the M-Audio drivers download page it seems they only have up to Mac OS 10.5.2 drivers for the 1814.

It probably can be fixed through some troubleshooting or a future driver release; you might want to drop a tech support form to M-Audio instead as this has nothing to do with EW products.

Kostas
06-07-2008, 03:21 AM
Few imacs and mac laptops have an Agere firewire chipset (instead of the IT chipset) and a number of FW soundcards have an issue with that ( RME, MOTU), I think Apple switched back to the IT, start your mac holding down command+ s, if it says IT (texas instrument) you don't have the Agere but if you do, there are some solutions (chain connection with a external drive, google it and you can find more information)

-Kostas

raywong
06-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Thanks!
I did the command+s drill and found out I have TI chipset. I guess it's an m-audio driver issue. They currently only have beta driver for OS10.5, so I will need to wait until the official 10.5 driver.

Djoule
06-07-2008, 10:50 AM
By the way, I plan to get a new laptop in less than one year to run the complete composers collection, and I thought about a macbook pro 15" with 4GB of RAM + an external hard drive .
As you seem to have one, is yours able to handle Cubase 4 + EW Composers collection (or any other EW library, I don't know what you have) or should I turn my choice to a laptop pc ?
Or should I buy a desktop computer? (in fact I often move so this is why I want a laptop)

thanks in advance ;)

raywong
06-08-2008, 03:24 AM
I am having a lot of problem with the MacBookPro.
The sound card stop working whenever I run Cubase together with another standalone player(Kontakt2/Play). I tried 3 different sound interface already.
It could also be an OS10.5.3 issue.

Djoule
06-08-2008, 06:30 AM
Thanks very much. ;)
I'm not sure of what is standalone but from what I read I guessed (tell me if I misunderstood) that it's in order to play MIDI with a keyboard for example.
As I'm not a keyboard player I planned to use EW products as vsti's (my MIDI files are ready, I wrote them with guitar pro then exported to MIDI) and not as standalone.
Do you have problems with your Mcbook pro using EW as a vst instrument ?
or is it just when you run both Cubase and standalone mode ?