PDA

View Full Version : anyone know of progblems with AMD quads CPU?

dumbarranger56
06-07-2008, 08:49 PM
I have alocal comp store where I do a lot of my repair and shopping. They are local, but their prices are comparable with the big guys.

ANYWAY, I talked to them about buuilding me a Quad-core machine in order to use 8 to 16 GB of mamory

They sent me back a quote with the folowing:

AMD Phenom 4 9850 CPU 2.5 gHZ sOCKET AM2 + 125 WATT qUAD cORE pROCESSOR
Gigbyte MOBO GA-790X
750 W power supply SILVERSTONE ST75
8GB RAM - CORSAIR DOMINATOR

I willbe using my own Hard drives (I hjave 3 500GB SATAs, and a couple 320s and a 350. I plan on one main drive for programs, one for projects and 3-4 for libraries. I am using an M-Audio 1010LT sound card (I know - beta drivers)

ANYWAY - If any of you have thoughts or expericence on or with these - PLEASE SHARE.

V o n h ö g e n
06-07-2008, 09:24 PM
I just recommended a similar setup in another thread, as you can read here (http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/showpost.php?p=127270&postcount=13).

AMD has recently solved a serious problem with their multi-core CPUs. Make sure you get a CPU ending with the number "50", like that Phenom 9850. The ones ending with "00" still suffer from that bug (bad B2 addressing), for which there is no satisfying solution.

- Jerome Vonhögen

dumbarranger56
06-08-2008, 04:42 PM
thanks. Yes I am looking at the 9850.

Do you have any problems with the EWQLSC or SC on the machine? Ihave a dual core, 64 bit machine and i can't get the word builder to work at all, and the orchestra has limitations, but works.

V o n h ö g e n
06-08-2008, 05:01 PM
I'm sorry to tell you, but I don't have that CPU in any of my computers (yet).
I doubt your problems with Wordbuilder are CPU-related, since it works just fine on even the relatively older single core computers. EWQLSC has an excellent manual, I suggest you follow the instructions closely. Wordbuilder should be fairly simple to setup.

Good luck. ;)

- Jerome Vonhögen

dumbarranger56
06-09-2008, 10:26 AM
i have followed the directions - but I am using a 64 bit sXP platform. Are you using a 64 bit or 32 bit platform? If you are using 64 bit, I would love to know more. the EWQLSC people have told me that wordbuilder will not work on 64 bit programs.

V o n h ö g e n
06-11-2008, 10:07 AM
i have followed the directions - but I am using a 64 bit sXP platform. Are you using a 64 bit or 32 bit platform? If you are using 64 bit, I would love to know more. the EWQLSC people have told me that wordbuilder will not work on 64 bit programs.

Sorry, I'm still on 32 bit. I didn't know about those problems with Wordbuilder in Win XP 64. Why don't you install Vista as a dual-boot option for those projects that need EWQLSC?

Do you have an old PC or Mac somewhere which you don't use anymore? If so, you could connect it to your DAW through Midi Over Lan. It doesn't need to be a fast computer at all, since you only want to run WB on it.

- Jerome Vonhögen

Dannthr
06-11-2008, 10:36 AM
Um, I was under the impression that 32 bit apps were run under an x86 emulator on windows 64 bit OSs.