PDA

View Full Version : Hardware upgrade and confusion

Michaeli
06-08-2008, 10:11 AM
Hello Everyone,

I'm upgrading my entire system, and realize that I'm a bit behind the knowledge curve. Everything is straightforward and easy when you run everything through a digi002. But now I've upgraded to Mac Pro 8 core, 10GB RAM, and multiple HD's and am ready to take things to the next level (I'm using Logic 8 and most all my work uses EWQL and other libraries, there is occasional mic work but very very little). This is were the confusion sets in. I could easily go with a typical interface of Apogee Ensemble or an RME 800. But these are FW based and I would like to get away from FW to reduce latency. I've read good things about the Lynx Aurora 8 converter combined with the AES16e card, but this is were the confusion sets in. The Aurora is obviously a converter and not an interface per se. By getting the AES16e card it will interface with my Mac, but will it interface with Logic? Am I missing something, or do you have any recommendations other than what I've mentioned?

Thanks,

Michael

Michaeli
06-10-2008, 07:58 PM
Anyone? Am I asking the wrong questions?

zuijlen
06-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Anyone? Am I asking the wrong questions?

I'm a PC guy :eek:, but I don't see anything wrong with your questions...:confused:

Fortunately, hardware gets more and more standardized, so it least peripheral experiences can be shared...

It seems you get a super-powerful machine, so I guess you will be running your stuff on this one machine. Still, you want a good soundcard for your work. I really like the RME brand. I'm using the HDSP 9652 card (with 3 ADAT I/Os), as I have several computers to connect. RME's clock is very good, I use one 9652 as the master and synchronize everything from there.

There is also the cheaper HDSP 9632, which comes with one analog stereo input and output (standard unbalanced but balanced optional), one ADAT I/O, and one SPDIF I/O. There is also a MIDI input and output.

There are expansion modules for both HDSP 9652 and 9632.

What I also like about RME is that they update their drivers regularly.

Several RME products now also come in PCIe (express) versions, which may be available in your system (the PCIe slot that is).

I hope somebody chimes in to answer th software-related questions! :rolleyes:

teraslasch
06-11-2008, 12:05 AM
i have been using FW interfaces all along, i don think it should be much of a latency problem nowadays. from what i know, the RME fireface 800 is a very solid interface. and u could try the apogee too, since its fully compatible with mac and logic. and do u have a problem with the digi002? is it the incomatibility with leopard? haha.. i believe apogee has a pci-e card too. u might wanna check that out, best wait for some experts to give advice on this.

natierau
06-11-2008, 02:27 AM
I've been using the RME 800 for over a year now on pc connected to the FW400 port with no problems at all on the latency side, I mean you can only get latency down that much and thats it. Doesn't matter what card your'e going to use you will have latency that is just the way it is. if youre worried about latency while recording vox's etc then that will not be a problem at all as RME 800 comes with a direct out option. Its got its own internal mixer and it is very good.

Michaeli
06-12-2008, 09:01 AM
Thank you all for the info.

Lots of good feedback on the RME which is what I've been reading in other places as well. What I'm hearing is that latency doesn't seem to be much of an issue which is good. However in some of the more High End forums elsewhere, people there were claiming that Firewire just wasn't a good enough means to send data through. They claimed that it was necessarily better to use AES/EBU and not firewire. I realize that different people have different needs, and there are always differing opinions, which is why I asked the question here.

Teraslasch, you are correct! The Digi002 does not work with Leopard and I got the sense that because they now consider it 'Legacy' hardware, there won't be a software fix coming anytime soon. So I thought that it would be a good time to just upgrade to something better!

Also, just curious if anyone has used an Aurora converter and what they thought of it. And back to one of my original questions: Do you know if the Aurora with the AES16e PCIe card interfaces well with Mac pro and Logic?

I'll also have to look into RME's PCIe cards as well...Thanks Zuijlen!