PDA

View Full Version : Which 88 key controller keyboard has the best action/feel out there?

Vincent Bergbahn
06-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Which 88 key keyboard has the best action/feel out there?

I really like the Yamaha action on my p-300. Please share your experiences.

kdm
06-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Roland Fantom G8 - not a controller, and pricey for that feature alone, but the best weighted feel other than possibly the Kawai MP8/5 (haven't tried either of those).

Vincent Bergbahn
06-10-2008, 09:39 PM
It doesn't have to be a controller, I just use my as one. You didn't vote kdm??

kdm
06-10-2008, 10:35 PM
I didn't then since the poll listed Roland as a brand rather than the G8 as a model and my opinion doesn't apply to other Roland controller keys, but I did vote just now (Roland).

As a general brand I might vote for Yamaha, Kurzweil, or perhaps Kawai, but there again, different models can have very different keybeds. The Yamaha CP300/33 digital pianos have a nice feel, and the S90ES is good as well, though different from the CP series. The Motif series doesn't have what I like about the S90's feel. Hard to pinpoint a brand really for me at least.

A.Leung
06-10-2008, 10:47 PM
roland FantomX baby!

LuckyStrik3r
09-23-2008, 04:22 PM
Kawai MP8 MK2 reference

pablo309
09-23-2008, 05:35 PM
what about doepfer? those babies have a great feel, imho...

cloudswimmer
09-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Well if you take some sandpaper or a fine file and smooth off the burrs on the white keys corners, a reamer to the center pin key stick holes so the keys are free to fall back down when playing fast octave tremelo runs, take some 000 steel wool to the black keys tops and smooth them out so they feel consistant,(not some rough some smooth) and regulate the action so there is less side play in the keys, then I'd say the Kawai MP8II.I went through three of them over a two month period last may to July and finally gave up and decided on the RD-700 GX (same action as the phantom minus aftertouch) The Yamaha CP-300 was a strong contender as well, however I personally had a hard time with trills and fast repeated notes on it.Since I play a lot of classical piano these days that was definately an issue for me.Doepher's were no where to be found in my area to test out, but I know Hans Zimmer likes em, and they sell just the keybed so you could have one built into a desk which would be VERY cool.They have a nice example of a keyboard/desk on their website I was drooling over for a while :) Oh, and I didn't see the Bosendorfer CEUSmaster on the list, I actually had a chance to play one and it was pretty sweet though a smiggen on the spendy side :)

Enrique
09-23-2008, 08:13 PM
how good is the progressive hammer action on roland fantomX? I JUST purchased a yamaha S90ES (same price as the fantomX), some great sounds and good feel, though its balanced hammer action not progressive -- is progressive action that much more realistic?

cloudswimmer
09-24-2008, 12:53 PM
how good is the progressive hammer action on roland fantomX? I JUST purchased a yamaha S90ES (same price as the fantomX), some great sounds and good feel, though its balanced hammer action not progressive -- is progressive action that much more realistic?

As a classically trained pianist I can feel the difference between the progressive and balanced actions.I spent about a half hour on the S90ES and really liked it, however I find the action too light for classical piano.The Roland PHAII actions are closer to my Steinway M IMHO as is the Yamaha CP-300, but if someone gave me an S90ES I'd definately find use for it :)

mungocherry33
10-01-2008, 06:12 PM
I think this should have been on the list:

http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_VMK188%20Plus%2088%20Key%20MIDI%20Controll er_-1_10052_10002_-49973952_cmCategorySA181189

See it in action below (sepecially chapter 8 & 9):

http://www.museresearch.com/receptor-videos.php

MC33

__