PDA

View Full Version : Best harddrive setup to go for?

Benedict Nichols
06-11-2008, 04:27 PM
Hi all, wandering if you could help me make a little decision.

I need to buy a new harddrive, and it needs to be firewire800. I'm thinking a Lacie Quadro. Question is, what size? I plan to install EWQL libraries on it only - I already own SD1, VOP, SC and SO platinum (which i havent installed).

I also own a slightly cruddy WD harddrive (320Gb USB2!) which I am currently running all my sample libraries (the above and others) off at once, mostly unglitchy, but limiting.

Do I buy a 500Gb Lacie Quadro and install all of the platinum orch on it, and any further PLAY libraries, or do I split the platinum across a 320Gb Lacie Harddrive and my WD one, and so only get a 320Gb Lacie?

Im using a Macbook pro which has only one Firewire800 port available as the 400 is connected to my TASCAM 1804.

So what do people suggest? Would I be able to run an orchestra off just one Lacie Harddrive? (i mean a big orchestra setup) and will the PLAY update soon to be released (:D) streamline the orchestra, making it more efficient?

Does anyone have issues running a platinum orchestra AND say SD2 off one harddrive by F800?

Any advice or experiences would be much appreciated...

THanks in advance

Benedict

persentio
06-13-2008, 04:02 AM
Try splitting up your libraries across hard disks as best as you can. If you do need to put 2 libraries on 1 drive, try your best to compare and see if they 'conflict' with each other most of the time and you probably won't use the other library in a specific project (like say, Gypsy with MOR because their styles mostly clash with each other; or its very hard to blend in the elements of Gypsy with MOR's IMO.)

A.Leung
06-13-2008, 04:18 AM
I would stay clear of LaCie. Go with an OWC FW800 drive instead.

Benedict Nichols
06-13-2008, 04:33 AM
Thanks for replying guys.

Stay clear of lacie? Whys that? From what Ive read everywhere there are solid reliable drives, and not too expensive either! Will have to have a look at the OWC FW800...

Thanks chaps!