PDA

View Full Version : KaK! Argh! Help?

Debinani
06-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Okay, so I got this laptop see, and I'd like to have Sonar and Gold XP on it to use as a scratch-pad when I'm mobile. It's got Vista 64 and 4gb of RAM on it so Sonar runs screaming fast.
So I've got everythig installed, but the onboard audio with the laptop is crraaaaaap. I think it's a SigmaTel chipset and really worthless drivers. We're talking 82ms or greater latency!!!

So I download ASIO4ALL and it installs and says everything is cool, but when I switch Sonar over to ASIO, it says it can't find any audio outputs. I also can't seem to get any noise out of it when I swtch Gold XP in standalone mode over to ASIO.

I'd like to avoid buying an audio card just so I can get decent drivers (I don't need fancy ins and outs, just fast drivers), so I'd love to get ASIO4ALL working if I can.

Anyone have any thoughts?
This is a Gateway P-6860 FX, Vista Ultimate x64, Sonar 7 Producer, Gold XP.

A.Leung
06-12-2008, 03:06 PM
you should really [consider] buying a decent card...

persentio
06-13-2008, 12:51 AM
Yes indeed. You will need something much better than the included audio card. Try the MOTU Traveler.

Debinani
06-13-2008, 08:52 AM
If all I'm using is softsynths, then why should it matter (besides good ASIO drivers)? To my knowledge, rendering softsynths doesn't excercise the actual audio hardware at all - which is why many people can actually get away with ASIO4ALL or other after-market drivers on crappy hardware.
I'm certainly not interested in lugging a big box around with me for the sole purpose of having decent drivers, if anything I'd want to get something that fits neatly in an ExpressCard slot. But that still bugs me when all I really need is good bits, not good steel.

nikolas
06-13-2008, 09:21 AM
It's not only the drivers that matter, if I understand correctly what (I think) I know. :D

It's also the DA conversion (or AC). Yes, your end product may not suffer, but in the process of turning your digital signal (D) into an analogue (A) in order to listen to it, you may have a loss of quality.

Joza
06-13-2008, 10:54 AM
It's not only the drivers that matter, if I understand correctly what (I think) I know. :D

It's also the DA conversion (or AC). Yes, your end product may not suffer, but in the process of turning your digital signal (D) into an analogue (A) in order to listen to it, you may have a loss of quality.

Yeah, but he said: "to use as a scratch-pad when I'm mobile"

Is that (slight?) loss of quality really that important then..?

Debinani
06-13-2008, 11:31 AM
The only thing that's important to me in this case is a reasonably low latency (no more than 15ms). Right now to get the thing to run at all I have to run Sonar in MM mode and it operates with about an 82ms latency (the music is still playing long after the shuttle has run its course, tons of missing notes, etc). WDM mode doesn't work at all, and as I said I couldn't get ASIO4ALL to grab onto my hardware and actually work. Even running Gold in standalone DirectSound mode produces a 32ms latency.

I figure probably what I'm going to end up doing is picking up that X-Fi ExpressCard - it's probably the least expensive solution. At least I know with Creative's drivers I can pull off at least 12ms.

Debinani
06-13-2008, 11:41 AM
Ahh, I just read that ASIO4ALL actually implements WDM when it tries to grab sound cards, and the crap driver for my chipset doesn't work worth a damn with WDM - so that explains why ASIO4ALL isn't working.

Dammit all to hell. Guess I'm buying a card.