PDA

View Full Version : setup advice?

raywong
06-14-2008, 12:21 AM
My setup has 3 PC slave to a MacPro host. I have been using an analog setup, the slaves go thru a 32ch analog mixer, and then into the host computer. I want to switch to digital now, Should I replace the mixer with a sound interface with 3 lightpipe bus inputs? too bad FXTeleport does not support Mac.
Thanks!

nickysnd
06-14-2008, 12:29 AM
Three words: midi over lan. It keeps your sound in digital all the way, so you maintain good resolution.

Yes you need a souncard with lighpipes I/O on your master to replace the analog mixer (you can keep it for monitoring). Basically, midi goes through ethernet to slaves and sound comes back to your master's soundcard through lightpipes. It's a very intuitive setup, and musiclab offers a trial version so you can test it. I am a happy user of it so I warmly recommend it.

A.Leung
06-14-2008, 01:51 AM
I have diagrams if you want them. Pm me with an email address and I'll show you the setup. Of course I have no idea of your goals/ setup so if you had the mixer because you have lots of outboard gear then you can also add a digital mixer to your setup as well.

raywong
06-14-2008, 02:15 AM
Thanks!
totally agree! I already have midi over lan, it eliminated many midi cables.
I do have a few outboard syth, which I use less and less.
Is this what I need? It has 3 lightpipe: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProFireLightbridge-main.html

A.Leung
06-14-2008, 02:31 AM
I would say if you had a lot of outboard F/x processing hardware then a digital mixer would be good but if its synths you have then maybe not. If you had say a Motu 2408 it would replace your analog mixer. With plenty of analog and digital INS and outs you could run your synths into it. Not sure what kind of synths you have but if they have digital outs you can have the digital outs from your synths go into the digital INS of the 2408. The 2408 supports litepipe, spdif, and analog INS and outs.

Might be a good 'all in one' solution.

raywong
06-14-2008, 03:29 AM
I use it mainly for film score. the dolby studio require me to provide all the music cue in at least 5 stereo pairs: strings, brass, woodwind, percussions, sub-low percussions... I had to solo all the strings instruments to record just the strings, and then the brass, and then the woodwinds, and then the percussions... it takes at least 5 to 6 pass to record a cue.
I want to upgrade my setup so I can record all group in one pass.
The 2408 sounds like a good choice for me.
Thanks!

nickysnd
06-14-2008, 08:35 AM
I use it mainly for film score. the dolby studio require me to provide all the music cue in at least 5 stereo pairs: strings, brass, woodwind, percussions, sub-low percussions... I had to solo all the strings instruments to record just the strings, and then the brass, and then the woodwinds, and then the percussions... it takes at least 5 to 6 pass to record a cue.
I want to upgrade my setup so I can record all group in one pass.
You know you can do stems in one pass via buses within your sequencer, don't you? What's your sequencer btw? The M-audio you mentioned still looks like a good option because of ProTools M-powered...

raywong
06-14-2008, 09:20 AM
I use Cubase4 to compose and record. I used to use protools on another computer to record, but it is more organized and more convinent doing everything inside one app.

zeke
06-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Three words: midi over lan. It keeps your sound in digital all the way, so you maintain good resolution.

Yes you need a souncard with lighpipes I/O on your master to replace the analog mixer (you can keep it for monitoring). Basically, midi goes through ethernet to slaves and sound comes back to your master's soundcard through lightpipes. It's a very intuitive setup, and musiclab offers a trial version so you can test it. I am a happy user of it so I warmly recommend it.

I have no experience with MOL - but am considering an additional PC. What's always confused me is this - let's say I'm going to use a RME 9632 - or - the new PCIe AIO on the slave, and connect via light pipe to the FF800 on the master. The master sequencer is Cubase.

If I've installed SD2 on the slave, and open a VSTi track in Cubase on the master - will I be able to assign SD2 as if it were a VSTi resident on the master? I guess the question is - will I see SD2 as if it were a midi track in Cubase - or will it show up as an audio track?

A.Leung
06-20-2008, 07:02 PM
sure you can get a vst host like steinbergs v-stack to hold sd2 , use midi overlan, assign the midi channel in v-stack and create a track in cubase while assigning the same port and midi channel as the one you just setup in v-stack.

nickysnd
06-20-2008, 07:32 PM
I guess the question is - will I see SD2 as if it were a midi track in Cubase - or will it show up as an audio track?
You will see SD2 as a VST instrument on your slave, which is a different computer, so different screen, of course. You just send messages to it through midi channels, and the instrument's play-back comes back into your sequencer via litepipe. Works like a breeze.

As for the setup, as Alan said. It is easier than it may appear, it's very intuitive. I am a technology hater yet I was able to set it up in like 20min.

zeke
06-21-2008, 04:12 AM
sure you can get a vst host like steinbergs v-stack to hold sd2 , use midi overlan, assign the midi channel in v-stack and create a track in cubase while assigning the same port and midi channel as the one you just setup in v-stack.

Doh!
Thanks for the info! That makes sense to me now. Midi over lan - digital audio to digital audio over light pipe. The routing is the key.

BTW - thanks for the patch diagram - the wiring is exactly what I had expected.

Sometimes simplicity isn't cause for suspicion.

zeke
06-21-2008, 04:33 AM
You will see SD2 as a VST instrument on your slave, which is a different computer, so different screen, of course. You just send messages to it through midi channels, and the instrument's play-back comes back into your sequencer via litepipe. Works like a breeze.

As for the setup, as Alan said. It is easier than it may appear, it's very intuitive. I am a technology hater yet I was able to set it up in like 20min.

I know what you mean about thecnology - I'm a systems admin by day, but work mainly with high end servers. I know enough about PC's to feel comfortable bulding them, but need assistance from the windows and PC/MAC guru's when I run into problems. However - knowing technology sometimes gets in the way of understanding DAW concepts.

My mis-understanding was how the digital audio came back to the master. Not sure why I was so dense on this.

Thanks for the info!

nickysnd
06-21-2008, 02:30 PM
I know what you mean about thecnology
Lots of misspells during the last days, see this page http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/showthread.php?t=13980&page=2 :)

As for thecnology, that's a good one, only I'd spell it -- theknowlogy? Which would be the exact opposite of technology. ;)

zeke
06-21-2008, 08:19 PM
Lots of misspells during the last days, see this page http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/showthread.php?t=13980&page=2 :)

As for thecnology, that's a good one, only I'd spell it -- theknowlogy? Which would be the exact opposite of technology. ;)

LOL!