PDA

View Full Version : 2 x PC's connect ?

mark d
06-14-2008, 05:23 AM
Hi. Trying to work ot how East West recommends running 2 PC's together for the Platinum library. Is there a system known to work well ? I've been recommended that the quickest & cheapest way to connect 2 PC's is with a "crossover" ethernet cable.
I tried this with limited instructions, & no success. Not sure how the audio etc is routed back to master computer's soundcard / mixer, or if the slave PC uses its own soundcard.
Both my PC's are Win XP Home SP2, Gigabyte MoBo's with ethernet connections.
Any EW tech support / helpful info appreciated.

Pietro
06-14-2008, 05:40 AM
Make a search for MIDIoverLAN and FX Teleport.

The first one needs slave computers with sound cards on board and you need to route audio by a cable. The latter doesn't and routes back audio to master PC via lan cable.

FX Teleport is free to try for 14 days, downloadable from official website.

- Piotr

zuijlen
06-14-2008, 10:39 AM
Rather than using a cross-over cable, get yourself a network switch to connect your PCs. It gives you more flexibility if you ever want to connect additional PCs.

So you have now created a Local Area Network (LAN). My case is extra complicated because some of my PCs are also connected to the internet via wireless. (I tried data transfer between PCs using wireless but that wasn't very reliable for time-critical stuff.)

What I did was give each PC a dedicated local IP address. For each PC do the following:

1. Right-click "My Network Places" on the desktop and select Properties. The Network Connections window opens.

2. There should be a Local Area Connection entry. Right-click that and select Properties.

3. From the list in the General tab, select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties.

4. Select "Use the following IP Address" and enter an IP address, Subnet mask, and Default gateway for the PC.

There are special IP address reserved for LANs, so that's what you will use. Here is what I have:

For PC 1: IP address is 10.10.1.101
For PC 2: IP address is 10.10.1.102, etc.

Subnet mask is always: 255.255.255.0

Default gateway is always: 10.10.1.1

When done with your settings click OK and click OK again. Close the Network Connections window.

I think this is all there is to it. :D

If you really have only two PCs and you have FireWire, you can also connect the PCs through FireWire (I don't know if that works for XP Home). The problem is that it tends to interfere with other FireWire devices.

LEX
06-16-2008, 02:59 AM
Rather than using a cross-over cable, get yourself a network switch to connect your PCs. It gives you more flexibility if you ever want to connect additional PCs.

So you have now created a Local Area Network (LAN). My case is extra complicated because some of my PCs are also connected to the internet via wireless. (I tried data transfer between PCs using wireless but that wasn't very reliable for time-critical stuff.)

What I did was give each PC a dedicated local IP address. For each PC do the following:

1. Right-click "My Network Places" on the desktop and select Properties. The Network Connections window opens.

2. There should be a Local Area Connection entry. Right-click that and select Properties.

3. From the list in the General tab, select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties.

4. Select "Use the following IP Address" and enter an IP address, Subnet mask, and Default gateway for the PC.

There are special IP address reserved for LANs, so that's what you will use. Here is what I have:

For PC 1: IP address is 10.10.1.101
For PC 2: IP address is 10.10.1.102, etc.

Subnet mask is always: 255.255.255.0

Default gateway is always: 10.10.1.1

When done with your settings click OK and click OK again. Close the Network Connections window.

I think this is all there is to it. :D

If you really have only two PCs and you have FireWire, you can also connect the PCs through FireWire (I don't know if that works for XP Home). The problem is that it tends to interfere with other FireWire devices.

Actually the more common IP private scheme is 192.168.x.x. 10.x.x.x is for massive Intranets.

You will find most common routers with a 16bit address rather than a 24bit address, and no a 24 bit address doesn't give you more bandwidth.

There is too the 172.16-172.31.x.x 20 bit addressing too. but that is just going to get confusing.

Unless you need over 16 million private IP addresses, stick with 192.168.1.x, which will give you over 65,000 single IP addresses.

It is alot easier to manage.

Firewire networking is poor. Don't use it. Use a Gigabit switch and Gigabit LAN cards.

LEX