PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new Keyboard

far_star
06-18-2008, 03:16 PM
I have a Roland XV-88 that I am considering retiring for a smaller, graded-hammer action, digital Piano/controller. Most of these don't have mod wheels so I am concerned about losing control of my recently purchased Gold Pro Bundle.

Are the mod and pitch wheels needed to get all of the articulations out of the Gold Pro bundle ? I know it may seem like a dumb question, but I am new to this.

Thanks in advance.

nzEscher
06-18-2008, 04:17 PM
In terms of playability/workflow, they are necessary, I'm currently on the market for one myself and it is amazingly difficult to find one with the features I want, the first two on the list particularly hard to come by:

Won't break down or die on me.
If it does after a few years, good customer support from the company.
88-keys
mod/pitch wheel
at least two pedal inputs that will work through midi
velocity sensitive
MIDI (Via USB ideal)
after touch a bonus, but ill buy a separate keyboard for synths if not.

The Yamaha KX8 the only one that fits, but I want one sooner than mid-august, and am worried with its heavy cubase integration it won't work with Sonar very well.

CME/Fatar have what I want in features, but their reputations are terrible. Am in the process of returning a CME VX with Cubase 4 at the moment.

MellotronGhost
06-18-2008, 04:38 PM
yes, you definitely want to have a mod wheel and pitch wheel!

persentio
06-18-2008, 04:38 PM
Hi far star,

The Mod Wheel either controls the Filter or Crossfades of certain patches, and the Pitch Bend Wheel does not control any Articulations either. Articulation controls are done using Keyswitches. However having said that these 2 controllers can definitely allow you to come up with more realistic performances using the articulations or Crossfade patches; so yes to get the most out of your VIs, get a keyboard with a Pitch Bend and Mod wheel. Most 88 key keyboards come with them now.

LGK_Dude
06-18-2008, 04:44 PM
You can always add on a midi controller with only faders/knobs and assign one of them to mod wheel. http://www.audiomidi.com/BCF2000-B-Control-Fader--White--P10909.aspx

Or you might even be able to use a foot controller and assign that. http://www.audiomidi.com/EX-P-Expression-Pedal-P7142.aspx

However, i personally would buy a keyboard with an actual mod wheel, but the foot controller might be an interesting substitute if you are good with your feet. :)

A.Leung
06-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Are the mod and pitch wheels needed to get all of the articulations out of the Gold Pro bundle ? I know it may seem like a dumb question, but I am new to this.

indubitably my dear sir.

far_star
06-18-2008, 05:11 PM
Thanks to those who gave useful responses. I did some more searching. I can get the Yamaha CP-33 which is a digital piano suitable for playing live (although it is expensive). There is also the YPG-635 which is just ugly as sin. Neither are that great an option for me.

I like the idea of purchasing a sub $1000 digital piano/controller with good hammer action and adding a mod/pitch wheel for the times I need it at home. Any recommendations on a device that will give me just that ? Thanks.

A.Leung
06-18-2008, 05:23 PM
Some of the digital pianos out there sure WOULD make a great controller [if] they just didnt lack so many 'controller' features.. lol. I fell in love with a digy Piano once - even brought it home. It LOOKED great AND sounded great. I actually got it home and THEN realized it didnt have a mod/pitch wheel. Doh!!!! Back it went. [god thats REALLY getting excited by a product NOT to even notice something like That!!?? - its also somethign I NEVER told anyone about.. hehehe]

...until now obviously...

paulwr
06-19-2008, 05:46 AM
If this is just for use and a controller for the computer setup, save a bunch of money and by a used Alesis Q8. It has the controllers you need, plus four additional sliders on the left near the pitch/mod wheels that come in very handy. Decent enough action........ perfect as a controller and perfect on the pocketbook. It has some decent sounds, but I haven't had the audio hooked up to it for years.

-Paul

persentio
06-19-2008, 06:26 AM
Thanks to those who gave useful responses. I did some more searching. I can get the Yamaha CP-33 which is a digital piano suitable for playing live (although it is expensive). There is also the YPG-635 which is just ugly as sin. Neither are that great an option for me.

I like the idea of purchasing a sub $1000 digital piano/controller with good hammer action and adding a mod/pitch wheel for the times I need it at home. Any recommendations on a device that will give me just that ? Thanks.
M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 (A very popular choice with a whole lot of MIDI controller functionality; you cant get much more for the great value.)
M-Audio Prokeys 88 (With a few onboard sounds, only a pitch bend and mod wheel)
CME UF 80 (another fairly popular choice)
Yamaha KX8 (Not yet released)

playz123
06-19-2008, 09:11 AM
Just an opinion; others may disagree:
Re: "CME UF 80 (another fairly popular choice)" Big and wiide spread problems with CME products including faulty firmware and reliability of VX and UF units themselves. Read reviews (e.g. Sound on Sound, Dec. 2007, VX series), and definitely visit CME forums etc. before considering. Buyer beware! IMHO, avoid like the plague! :) And if you do buy one, don't say you weren't warned. :)

Re: "Yamaha KX8 (Not yet released)" Should be useful for Cubase users, and like all Yamaha products, the keyboard itself should be good. However the unit has very few controller knobs and sliders etc. when compared with some other controllers, and has no jack for an expression pedal...only sustain. I immediately saw limitations with these units when reading about them, but if controller needs are limited they are probably going to be well worth considering...especially if one is a Cubase user.

far_star
06-19-2008, 12:59 PM
After reading all of the responses, I am thinking of picking up the Yamaha P-85 (after I try our the key action at a local store) and then adding another midi controller that just as 24 keys and the knobs I need. I like the fact that the Yamaha has options for all three traditional piano pedals.

Now if only Kontakt and Akoustik Piano Supported it....

nzEscher
06-19-2008, 03:02 PM
I was just looking to do the eact same thing, funnily enough.

Except my second controller would be the Akai MPK49, since the drum pads are nice/actually useful.