PDA

View Full Version : Why did Sonica Labs switch Mobo's

GtrJazz
06-18-2008, 11:11 PM
Does anyone know why Sonica labs has switched Mobos from P35 to G35? I thought the P35 was better. They did switch most their computers to the Q9450 Cpu.

persentio
06-19-2008, 12:43 AM
Perhaps wider system stability for most software and hardware drivers? Essentially there really isn't much difference in my opinion. The Q9450 CPU seems like a better upgrade from the Q6600.

V o n h ö g e n
06-19-2008, 01:37 AM
The Q9450 processor is there to replace the Q6600, eventually. As a matter of fact, the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000 processor series will eventually retire all current Core 2 Quad 6000 processors.

As far as I know, the Q9450 is a 45nm processor capable of operating at lower voltage. It features more L2 cache than its predecessor (2x6MB instead of 2x4MB), the Front Side Bus speed is 1333 MHz (with the Q6600, the FSB is 1066 MHz) and the processor works at 2.66 GHz (the Q6600 clocks 2.40 GHz).

I would go for the Q9450 myself, if I had to build a new PC right now.

- Jerome Vonhögen

OneThrow
06-19-2008, 01:57 AM
You chaps are a bunch of know-it-alls. That's why I love reading this stuff. I'm learning so much as a non-technical person.

Ignore me. I'm just thinking out loud.:) (No offence intended.)

V o n h ö g e n
06-19-2008, 02:12 AM
You chaps are a bunch of know-it-alls. That's why I love reading this stuff.

It depends on your point of view/perspective. A violinist still knows his instrument much better than we will ever know our computers. :o

I'm learning so much as a non-technical person.

But you do know how to drive a car, right?
Beethoven didn't have a driving license... :rolleyes:

- Jerome Vonhögen

OneThrow
06-19-2008, 05:33 AM
H o k e t u s

You've made me think. How dare you.:D

Actually, your post reminds me that I am on a forum dedicated to music and various aspects thereof.

Ahh, Beethoven. He didn't have a license for East West libraries either, but I bet he would have had he lived today. :D (Actually thinking about it, he wouldn't. Nothing could have matched his inner ear. Strike that last staement.)

I don't like the idea of Beethoven behind the wheel of a car, I don't think I would want to be a passenger. But then I wish he'd written more than a few sketches for his 10th symphony.

Making someone think is damned dangerous you never know what might come out. ;)

GtrJazz
06-19-2008, 07:22 AM
Thanks guys for the info. I guess I'm confused about the mobo thing. I'm trying to build a gigastudio slave using the specs of visondaw. It says it uses the intel P35 express chip. But when I go to my local computer shop all I can find is Asus and Gigabyte motherboard. Anyone know where I can get a intel P35 express?

persentio
06-19-2008, 07:59 AM
Asus and Gigabyte are great MOBOs to choose from. They all will need to utilize some form of chipset and that includes the P35 ones. Just ask the sales assistant for the boards they have that use the P35 chipset.

Typically, Gigabyte motherboard model numbers contain the Chipset type in their names. For Gigabyte, those utilizing the P35 chipset have it in their model numbers: E.G. GA-EP35-DS3; and current ASUS MOBOS using the P35 chipset all have "P5K" in their model names.

Hope it helps!

paulwr
06-19-2008, 08:02 AM
Gigabyte make a very solid board these days if you can't source the Intel that you want. Though mine that I upgraded my DAW with would be a bit overkill for a slave, I can attest that the GA-P35-DS4 rev 2.1 is solid.

About $179 at New Egg if available. They may be discontinued now. They have a board with less options for around $100 or so. Check the reviews of the new stuff if it is all G35. If Sonica changed to it, it is going to be worthy. My first system was from them, rest from VisionDAW or custom built by me.

-Paul

V o n h ö g e n
06-19-2008, 08:17 AM
H o k e t u s

You've made me think. How dare you.:D
(...) Making someone think is damned dangerous you never know what might come out. ;)

That's why Descartes wore a sword every day. :D

I wouldn't worry too much, if I were you. As long as you don't claim that your view of the world is true, you should be safe. If not, you could always move to The Netherlands to find refuge, like Descartes and John Locke did. :)

Ahh, Beethoven. He didn't have a license for East West libraries either (...)

Lol!

I don't like the idea of Beethoven behind the wheel of a car, I don't think I would want to be a passenger

I am sure he wouldn't wear his wig if he had bought a convertable! :D
(That is, if he had finished that 10th symphony and then exploited the publishing rights, instead of battling in court for the custody of his nephew.)

One word of advice with regard to this post: don't let your fantasy carry you away with all these counterfactuals. Counterfactuals are only true in a certain number of possible worlds, like the world in which Ludwig Van Beethoven was born in the 2nd half of the 20th Century as "Eric" before winning the East West "Score This Movie" contest in July 2008. :p

However, there is at least one truth in this world (and this is not a quote, afaik):
If thinking hurts, it must be between the ears! ;)

- Jerome Vonhögen

OneThrow
06-19-2008, 10:37 AM
If thinking hurts, it must be between the ears! ;)

- Jerome Vonhögen

It is. And it hurts. It really hurts.

Me thinks you've been doing some detective work.:cool:

Let me see.

I've been able to work out most of these abbreviations but not LOL.

I hope you realise that my last post was meant to be completely humorous and as wet as a sponge soaked in jelly and kept in a vat of jam for three weeks.

Counterfactuals. I've never heard that word before. Its a good one I'll look it up.... Brilliant! You know the English language better than I do. Oh my!

I'm not too sad that Beethoven never got round to doing his 10th Symphony. Go out on a high I always say.:p

I have no intention of inflicting my music on any judges or anyone else fool enough to download it with reference to the Scarry Movie Contest. The people who have allowed me to write for them are incredibly brave and long suffering.

And who is this "Eric" character anyway. As the dolphins said who were wildly misinterpreted, "So long and thanks for all the fish.":)

And if you can make any sense out of that, you are one up one me.:D

Disclaimer.
All characters in the above are ficticious and have no resemblance to anyone real or otherwise.;)

GtrJazz
06-19-2008, 10:53 AM
Gigabyte make a very solid board these days if you can't source the Intel that you want. Though mine that I upgraded my DAW with would be a bit overkill for a slave, I can attest that the GA-P35-DS4 rev 2.1 is solid.

About $179 at New Egg if available. They may be discontinued now. They have a board with less options for around $100 or so. Check the reviews of the new stuff if it is all G35. If Sonica changed to it, it is going to be worthy. My first system was from them, rest from VisionDAW or custom built by me.

-Paul

Thanks Paul for the info. So you think the G35 would be better than the P35? And just to clarify when they say they use intel P35 express chipset does that mean intel makes it or could it be asus,gigabyte etc?

paulwr
06-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Thanks Paul for the info. So you think the G35 would be better than the P35? And just to clarify when they say they use intel P35 express chipset does that mean intel makes it or could it be asus,gigabyte etc?

I haven't used the G35 chipset, but I do know that Sonica-x (Guy) knows his stuff, so if he is using it, I think it is a very good bet. The G35 motherboard chipset is made by Intel and you can get an idea of it's capabilities on the Intel website. http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/g35/index.htm

-Paul

GtrJazz
06-19-2008, 06:05 PM
I haven't used the G35 chipset, but I do know that Sonica-x (Guy) knows his stuff, so if he is using it, I think it is a very good bet. The G35 motherboard chipset is made by Intel and you can get an idea of it's capabilities on the Intel website. http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/g35/index.htm

-Paul

So are the Intel motherboards more expensive than asus and gigabyte? I can't seem to find intel moherboards for sale.

persentio
06-20-2008, 02:17 AM
geah,

You don't need to get Intel motherboards to use the Intel G35 or P35 chipsets. ASUS and Gigabyte make better MOBOs than Intel IMHO but utilize the same chipsets that Intel produces.

V o n h ö g e n
06-20-2008, 05:44 AM
I hope you realise that my last post was meant to be completely humorous and as wet as a sponge soaked in jelly and kept in a vat of jam for three weeks.

Yes, I was perfectly aware of that, hence the abbreviation "LOL" (which stands for "laugh out loud" FYI). ;)

I have no intention of inflicting my music on any judges or anyone else fool enough to download it with reference to the Scarry Movie Contest.

:) You could ask Zennor to have his movie PG rated if it scares you so much. Or perhaps you are are suffering from stagefright? :rolleyes:

As the dolphins said who were wildly misinterpreted, "So long and thanks for all the fish.":)
And if you can make any sense out of that, you are one up one me.:D

I think I understand the analogy with the counterfactuals. In the book 'Life, the Universe and Everything', the Earth is destroyed and replaced by a "shadow" Earth (an Earth from an alternate timeline) by the dolphins, who were clever enough to escape the destruction of the earth in time and who have now left the earth permanently. "So Long and Thanks For All The Fish" is their way to say farewell to all humans. Very clever, Eric! :)

Actually, I always knew that dolphins are more intelligent than we are. Did you know that within only a few weeks of captivity, they can train humans to stand at the edge of the pool and throw them fish? (I'm quoting an old joke b.t.w.)

Ok, no EW Contest for you then, 'cause you have to leave this planet. Please, make sure my EW licenses remain valid, when you make that backup copy of the earth after its destruction! :D

- Jerome Vonhögen

P.s. one more thing ON topic: someone told me that Intel plans to drop the prices of their processors to compete with AMD's new and cheap quad series. Does anyone know if this is true?

OneThrow
06-20-2008, 10:10 AM
:) You could ask Zennor to have his movie PG rated if it scares you so much. Or perhaps you are are suffering from stagefright? :rolleyes:

No,no,no. 2 legs good, 4 legs better.

Dolphins. Actually, the mice were the most intelligent of all. And we thought we were clever.:p

Ok, no EW Contest for you then, 'cause you have to leave this planet. Please, make sure my EW licenses remain valid, when you make that backup copy of the earth after its destruction!

This I think is a LOL moment. So I'll just savour it. :D :rolleyes: :eek: :D :D

By the way, reading your post has made me understand my own, much better. I never realised it made that much sense. Wow. Respect. You really are a mouse. :D :D

And there's me stuck in a timewarp thinking digital watches are pretty neat!

Beethoven wouldn't stand a chance on this forum..... Actually I've just censored that last bit. Phew! Nearly got into trouble. What I really mean is he'd be a bit out of date. Music would be great, but would it be appreciated? (That was a close one.)

Have a good one. :)

Disclaimer.
All characters in the above are ficticious and have no resemblance to anyone real or otherwise.

GtrJazz
06-20-2008, 12:08 PM
geah,

You don't need to get Intel motherboards to use the Intel G35 or P35 chipsets. ASUS and Gigabyte make better MOBOs than Intel IMHO but utilize the same chipsets that Intel produces.

Thanks Persentio for the info.