PDA

View Full Version : Would this work.....?

Jarrek2002
06-21-2008, 10:59 PM
I don't understand just how multiple systems with PLAY works...

With PLAY 64-bit, they advertise that the entire system RAM is usable.

So, would a 64-bit system loaded with 128GB RAM using 64-bit PLAY and 64-bit DAW, be more efficient than multiple systems? Wouldn't ALL VI's be loaded into RAM, and therefore no disk streaming be required? Would 8-cores be able to withstand any bottlenecking of such a setup?

Thanks in advance!

MellotronGhost
06-23-2008, 10:00 PM
in this scenario your processing power would be the bottleneck the more instrument tracks you have playing simultaneously. you can now do a lot with 8 cores but i have not yet pushed my system enough to be able to tell you how far the processing power would go. (though currently with logic and kontakt i am on 32 bit still)

Jarrek2002
06-24-2008, 05:02 AM
Ok, so then with multiple computers, the CPU of each computer is also a factor is overall workability?

I'm sorry if my questions are basic, but I've been thru all the threads, and just don't quite understand how this works.

I am working at building a systems(s?) that is centered around PLAY, and can use all the help I can get!

Thanks again.

kimchye
07-07-2008, 04:15 AM
Hi Jarrek2002,

I am new to the world of sampling. Have you had any result yet? I am considering building a PC to run the PLAY engine too. Would appreciate if there is any workable model configuration to follow...

All the best.

Cheers,

KC:)

Jarrek2002
07-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Kimchye, looking at the various options, I'm pretty sure I"m going the Mac route. I'll fill you in on my end-configuration, and results.

Previously, I've used Sonar 3(?), with Garritan Orchestra and some of my own samples, on a single core 3Ghz system, 2GB RAM. I believe I was using a SB Audigy card. Low tech, I know! On such a system, I could build a fairly decent mix, but with LOTS of bouncing. And the end result was never a crisp, clear recording...almost, but not quite.

I was astounded when I stumbled across the EastWest website!

Now my last decision seems to be in choosing an audio interface. RME's PCI's look great, yet don't seem to have phantom power for a mic. Love their super-low latency, however.