PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to the 64-bit world

rae
06-23-2008, 11:07 AM
I'm currently on three XP32 PC's (1 DAW + 2 slaves) connected by FX Teleport and controlled over remote desktop. It seems that 64-bit systems have become more stable than what it looked like about a year ago when I decided to stay 32-bit. I'd like to build a 64-bit system. What's the way to go and what do I need to keep in mind?

- Vista vs. XP64?
- Should I keep to looking at 64-bit slaves and keep the DAW 32-bit for stability, or are these issues a thing of the past? I'm currently working with Cubase SX3, but will upgrade to 4.X
- FXT and 64-bit - a no-go? Vienna is already incorporating the networking features, and EW Play will get there eventually, so I wouldn't like to invest in expencive audio cards for slaves at this point.
- Is there any recommendations of where the best price/power -ratio is today? Mobo, processor etc...?
- Anything else to consider or bear in mind?

Appreciated!

-rae-

nzEscher
06-23-2008, 03:37 PM
#4. Depending how many PCI/PCIe slots you want, the price/power/longevity at the moment would be with: (this is based on New Zealand pricing so it may not apply world-wide).

This is essentially my computer, I have also built the same for 7 people as gaming machines, not a single problem.

Q6600
NForce 780i motherboard - I've found XFX to be an excellent brand, theirs is basically a reference board with a sticker though. Come with TI Chipset FireWire. Only have 3 PCIe slots (double spacing), no PCI.
GSkill Ram - Cheap, lifetime warrenty, stable, and still faster than most of the top performance brands. Cant say enough about them.
Silverstone power supplies get the nod from me in the price/performance race.

zuijlen
06-23-2008, 08:15 PM
You could start looking at this thread: http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/showthread.php?t=12832.

rae
06-24-2008, 06:49 PM
Well I did, and it answered the question about the OS.

The hardware recommendations are some 3 months old now, so I'm wondering if the ones Vatroslav recommended are still my best bet. (??)

I haven't quite figured out how or IF Cubase works on a 64-bit system, and I'm a bit concerned about upgrading my DAW as that would mean a lot of more things to keep in mind. Not sure if that is so, though...

The key issue, I guess, is FX Teleport. I'm not sure if this would work on a 64-bit system? If so, I could try making a 64-bit slave - which would have considerably less factors to keep in mind - especially with no need for an audio card, video card or lots of software & plugins. I've read about the option of running several 32-bit XP's within XP64 to get around the issue...

Am I making any sense here?

A.Leung
06-24-2008, 08:00 PM
This thread may help you fill in some blanks: http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/showthread.php?t=12521&page=
Post # 18 as well there.

Spinning poo machine
06-25-2008, 03:18 PM
Well I did, and it answered the question about the OS.

The hardware recommendations are some 3 months old now, so I'm wondering if the ones Vatroslav recommended are still my best bet. (??)

I haven't quite figured out how or IF Cubase works on a 64-bit system, and I'm a bit concerned about upgrading my DAW as that would mean a lot of more things to keep in mind. Not sure if that is so, though...

The key issue, I guess, is FX Teleport. I'm not sure if this would work on a 64-bit system? If so, I could try making a 64-bit slave - which would have considerably less factors to keep in mind - especially with no need for an audio card, video card or lots of software & plugins. I've read about the option of running several 32-bit XP's within XP64 to get around the issue...

Am I making any sense here?

Seems like from what I understand--in regard to Vatroslav's undertaking and also in regard to the guys at Sweetwater--that you shouldn't really need slaves if you're going the 64-bit path. That's IF your DAW is 64 bit... which I thought Cubase wasn't. But I know that Cakewalk (Sonar 7) offers a discount for the competitve upgrade, obviously.

As for Vista, I've read that it has come a long way from last year, but is still not quite up to par.

Then again, I'm just a noob, too.

musiklaborant
07-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Hey rae,

I can only tell you about my experiences...
Im using a 64bit Shuttle-X Barbone Q6600 as Sample Host for my VSL - Mockups and have Win XP 64bit installed.
Advantages: The processor has an enormous performance under WinXP 64bit.
I use the VSL Host Software Vienna Ensemble, which supports 64bit and
the system runs absolutely stable. 4,2 gb RAM for Samples, the other 2
gb are reserved for the system. With 32bit Win you can only use 3.6 gb for both
system and sample usage
Problems occur because of other software plugs or DAWs which dont completely support 64bit. Im using Cubase4 and its still unclear when Steinberg will release a fully compatible 64bit version.

When it comes to WinXP64 - Vista64 comparison, just take WinXP64, its absolutely stable!

Hope this will help you...

Greets,

Martin