PDA

View Full Version : KVM Questions

Andrew Sigler
06-30-2008, 08:58 AM
Hi Folks,

I'm running a 2 computer/2 monitor setup with a 2 port KVM switch which has been lovely. I recently bought a laptop (Thinkpad) and would like to get a new KVM that would allow me to use the laptop with the preexisting screens and my regular keyboard/mouse. I'm not going to be connecting the lappy to the network, I'm just sick of going into the other room to download updates and so forth...

I've thought of getting a docking station, but I wonder if there is a less expensive solution that would allow me to use, say, a usb cable from the lappy into the KVM so I could just unplug one cable and go. Also, I'm assuming that I can do this with the laptop closed instead of open...?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Andy

A.Leung
06-30-2008, 01:07 PM
Andy,

KVM's are so 'old school'. Have you thought about Remote desktop software instead? Or maybe I'm missing what your purposes are here...

Andrew Sigler
06-30-2008, 02:45 PM
Hey Allan,

I've recently installed remote desktop software so that I can have one computer on one screen and the other on the other (knowwhatImean?) but I still use the KVM so that I can use both screens If I only need to use one computer. Also, I don't want the lappy on the network, I just want to use the keyboard/mouse/screens with it...

likecmposr
06-30-2008, 03:38 PM
How many screen sdo you usualy use with your pc?

A.Leung
06-30-2008, 04:28 PM
Makes sense Andy. Yeah the reason I wondered is becuase I was going to go the Kvm route way back but decided Remote Desktop did everything I wanted it to do and more...

Andrew Sigler
06-30-2008, 06:15 PM
How many screen sdo you usualy use with your pc?

I have a dual monitor setup.