PDA

View Full Version : WILL MY COMPUTER BE GOOD ENOUGH?

deadbeatz
06-30-2008, 06:21 PM
Hi guys,

I have decided it is now time to purchase a new PC, I was making hip hop using old records and sampling which really did require as good of a computer as what I require now to run alot of plug ins etc.

I have a brief description of what im looking at buying, let me know your thoughts.

I picked all of this up for $1550 AUD including 2 x 22" monitors!

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 processor
4GB (4X1GB) NECC Dual Channel DDR2 667MHz SD RAM Memory
500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive with Native Command Queuing

What are your thoughts, I dont know a whole lot about pc's?

noldar12
06-30-2008, 07:42 PM
RAM will be fine. What sort of MOBO does it come with, and what type of open slots are available? You will also want multiple hard drives: one for o/s programs, one for music projects, and one for samples. If you are going to be using a firewire interface, generally a TI firewire chipset is advised, as problems still exist with other firewire chipsets (though not always).

If you haven't yet done so, it might be worth taking a look at some of the DAW builders websites to get an idea of the systems they put together, and some idea of general specs, even though you may not be able to buy from them, given your location.

deadbeatz
06-30-2008, 08:13 PM
Sorry, I have no idea what a DAW is nor do I know what a MOBO is.

I will not be doing anything on this computer besides producing music, I will not be recording instruments or vocals etc.

Can someone tell me exactly what this stuff does?

deadbeatz
06-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Maybe my question should have been

WHAT DO I NEED IN ORDER TO PRODUCE MUSIC WITH FRUITY LOOPS AND EW PRODUCTS?

A.Leung
06-30-2008, 10:18 PM
Sorry, I have no idea what a DAW is nor do I know what a MOBO is.

I will not be doing anything on this computer besides producing music, I will not be recording instruments or vocals etc.

Can someone tell me exactly what this stuff does?

DAW: Digital Audio Workstation. (e.g.: Logic Pro Studio, DP or Digital Performer, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc)

MOBO: Motherboard

persentio
07-01-2008, 07:50 AM
Maybe my question should have been

WHAT DO I NEED IN ORDER TO PRODUCE MUSIC WITH FRUITY LOOPS AND EW PRODUCTS?
It would be good to follow at least the Minimum System Requirements stated on the EW product pages; but it is definitely better to follow their Recommended System Requirements for much better computing power to handle more instruments.

blearyeyes
07-09-2008, 09:00 AM
My son has FL Studio XXL and is running a dual core Intel with 2 gigs of ram and a good Nvidea video card. FL studio blazes on his system. It is very stable. With your system I would add another large drive or two for your samples. That way there isn't a bottleneck in terms of getting all of your sounds to playback and you will get more tracks to play as well.

But the answer to you your question is one that only you can answer. As you seem to have already purchased the hardware why don't you set it up and let us know how well it works for your style of writing and producing?

Infineum
07-14-2008, 05:07 PM
I ran Gold Pro XP and MOR on a 2.6GHZ P4 ( 1 core ), 2.5gb RAM. Yes, you can run these things on pretty much anything, even though requirements don't say it.