PDA

View Full Version : motherboard?

GtrJazz
07-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Hey guys,

Is their a big difference between the Asus P5K Deluxe/WiFi and the ASUS P5K-E/WIFI?
I know one is better for overclocking but considering for DAW's we want something reliable would the cheaper mobo that still has 6 sata connectors and 2 esata be enough?

persentio
07-01-2008, 05:38 PM
From what I've compared the only essential difference between the motherboards is that the Deluxe version supports dual Gigabit LAN and has some 'AI Lifestyle' enchancement which you don't need for music production. So I guess you can just go with the cheaper P5K-E Wifi.

GtrJazz
07-01-2008, 08:49 PM
From what I've compared the only essential difference between the motherboards is that the Deluxe version supports dual Gigabit LAN and has some 'AI Lifestyle' enchancement which you don't need for music production. So I guess you can just go with the cheaper P5K-E Wifi.

Thanks for the info. Would the dual gigabit be needed if running more than 1 computer?

MUSE
07-03-2008, 01:21 PM
I'd stay away from WI-Fi model as I have one and it makes some weird cracking noises in my monitors that I cant get rid of. About to replace it with new P45 Chipset motherboards from Gygabite as I found them more stable and robust compare to Asus boards.

GtrJazz
07-03-2008, 02:26 PM
the asus board has 2 extra esata which I need. What would you say would be the best P35 board for the buck?

MUSE
07-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Get the P5K-E but not the wi-fi model, I've disabled it in bios but it didnt help.
I dont think its powersupply or circuit shortage since my ear phones are crystal clear it happens only with monitors. Hear that those e-satas could be a problem as well not sure as I've never used them but evetualy will for back up.

persentio
07-03-2008, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the info. Would the dual gigabit be needed if running more than 1 computer?
I have no idea since I use only 1 computer.

With regards to which of the P5Ks are the best for the buck, I would say the cheapest that gives you all the features you need, nothing more and nothing less. And I agree with MUSE to get a non-WiFi model.

GtrJazz
07-03-2008, 06:08 PM
thanks so I now know not to get the wifi model. I hope the eSata doesnt cause problems because I plan to switch to 6 drives for samples 1 for system and 1 firewire for saving.