PDA

View Full Version : FX Teleport

raywong
07-01-2008, 10:14 PM
I have 1 Mac Host, 3 PC slaves, therefore 4 sound interfaces all together. I am planning to add another PC slave, that is 5 sound interfaces altogether!! Does it make sense to setup FX Teleport among the pc, and feed the audio back to the Mac thru one of the Pc's sound interface?

Jeff Hayat
07-01-2008, 10:21 PM
I have 1 Mac Host, 3 PC slaves, therefore 4 sound interfaces all together. I am planning to add another PC slave, that is 5 sound interfaces altogether!! Does it make sense to setup FX Teleport among the pc, and feed the audio back to the Mac thru one of the Pc's sound interface?

FX-T does not work the way you are thinking; it does not use any sound cards or interfaces of any of the computers. So, if you have interfaces on what would be the slaves, that means nothing.

FX-T needs to be installed on the master computer, otherwise the slaves (in this case yiour PC's) have nothing to slave to. Seeing as tho there is no MAC version, I don't see how FX-T is going to do anything for you. Have you considered MOL?

raywong
07-02-2008, 02:45 AM
Yes I have MOL already and I also understand there's no FX-T for Mac. I am just wondering if I could setup FX-T on all my PC slaves, and have one of my PC as a Host, and use this Host to send audio back to Mac via lightpipe. If this works I can eliminate a few sound interface and a lot of audio cables.

peter5992
07-02-2008, 07:22 AM

FX Teleport works as follows: it sends midi from your master Mac host to all of your slave computers, and it sends audio back from the slaves to your master Mac. Therefor, the only audio / sound interface you need to have in a setup like is, is that built into your Mac. Any interfaces connected to any of your slaves will just sit there and do nothing. I have tried to get audio out of my slave computer - since it has a high end sound / midi interface which is much better than the soundcard built into my own master laptop - but I found out that that just is not impossible.

If you really want to get sound out of your slaves, you would have to consider alternatives such as midi over lan, or pipeline, or something. I do not know how that works, you'll have to search these forums, there are others who do use that (I believe Allan Leung / Michael Terry Huud?).

If you weigh these alternatives, bear in mind that you will need a multi computer FX Teleport license which is more expensive than a single master / slave license.

Dannthr
07-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Peter, as mentioned before, FXTeleport is not available for macs.

Raywong, how do you propose a dual master system? FXTeleport is a VST wrapper and teleports the VST controls to a VST host program already in use, such as your DAW.

Part of your problem, if you'll recognize, is your insistance on using a mac for your master (or really, using a mac at all).

How do you propose sending MIDI from your Mac to your master PC and to what VST host program?

peter5992
07-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Peter, as mentioned before, FXTeleport is not available for macs.

Oops - you are right. I am a PC guy, I sometimes forget that there are other computers in this world ...

Hmm, rereading your post, raywong, I am kind of curious what you are getting at, but I don't think that FX teleport is going to work for you (you can download a trial version and just give it a shot though). FX Teleport "wraps" vsts on slaves inside a master sequencer, but you cannot two masters, one has got to be the boss. If you really want to use your mac as master then I think you have no other option than to use a program like midi over lan.

raywong
07-02-2008, 10:48 AM
Ok... I mis-understood, I always thought FX-T is just an Audio-Over-Lan application.
I really wish the Mac version will come soon.
Thanks!

paulwr
07-02-2008, 01:03 PM
Ok... I mis-understood, I always thought FX-T is just an Audio-Over-Lan application.
I really wish the Mac version will come soon.
Thanks!

Their is no Mac version on the way. The program has stood as it is for years without any updates/upgrades.

-Paul

Dannthr
07-03-2008, 01:25 AM
"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both PC and Macintosh." (Bill 6:24)

There are experimental audio over lan applications, but no consumer level version for mac that I know of...