PDA

View Full Version : ADAT Converter

Javee
07-09-2008, 11:10 AM
I'm going to build a few slaves. Looking at my different possibilities of routing the audio, would this be the most commonly used setup for my soundcard?

I have the e-mu 1212 with 1 adat i/o. I was considering purchasing an A/D D/A Converter. Then simply patch each computer into the converter. I will use the MidioverLan software. Is this do-able?

Thanks
Mitch

paulwr
07-09-2008, 01:15 PM
I'm going to build a few slaves. Looking at my different possibilities of routing the audio, would this be the most commonly used setup for my soundcard?

I have the e-mu 1212 with 1 adat i/o. I was considering purchasing an A/D D/A Converter. Then simply patch each computer into the converter. I will use the MidioverLan software. Is this do-able?

Thanks
Mitch

If you are routing digital audio from your slave computer, and receiving it at the DAW, there is nothing to convert. It is all still digital. The E-mu 1212 is fine if you only use Kontakt and don't plan on Gigastudio. Otherwise, the next jump up for a decent price is going to be Frontier who has a card for 2 lightpipes for around $275.

You'll have to decide what to receive lightpipes with in your DAW. Lot of choices. I use RME 9652 card, and that is my asio audio device in Cubase sx 3.1. Then I have a lightpipe out of that to a standalone RME fireface 800. A little nuanced bussing so I can also record live from the inputs of the RME ff800. Works very well. MOTU has some great interfaces you could also look at.

-Paul

Javee
07-09-2008, 01:23 PM
First off, thanks for the reply. There seems to be very little information on setting up a system like this. I appreciate any and all help!

ADAT input is capable of 8 stereo channels is it not? Wouldn't it be a waste of 7 possible channels just to run ADAT from one machine to another? Or does the audio not route back as a single stereo channel? I was thinking of sending the audio out via balanced analog xlr and/or 1/4inch into a converter, which then routes it all back into one machine? Rather than having to fill every PCI slot with a soundcard.

-Mitch

Jonathan Kranz
07-09-2008, 01:47 PM
ADAT is 8 channels total, so 4 stereo channels or 8 mono, and that is over 1 cable, so one adat cable going from the slave to the host computer is 8 channels, meaning in your DAW you can have 4 stereo inputs coming from that one cable. So for instance you could mix your brass, percussion, strings, and winds on 4 separate tracks coming from one slave... etc.

There are several interfaces that have multiple ADAT inputs... MOTU 2408 for instance, which can have 3 ADAT I/O... on one PCI card you can connect 4 2408's for up to 12 ADAT I/O for instance... RME also has some popular choices for digital as well.

-Jonathan

paulwr
07-09-2008, 01:58 PM
Yes, the ability to bring in multiple stereo busses can save a lot of time rendering tracks in your DAW. This falls to the advantage side when compared to DAW and rendering VST tracks one at a time. A typical mix for me of full orchestra from three slaves and my DAW is 36 stereo tracks. If I had to render them one by one I'd go nuts! With just three lightpipes into the DAW, you can record 12 stereo tracks at time. Some guys with big setups are bringing in 6-8 lightpipes! Thirty-two stereo tracks recorded in one pass? Not bad. Plus, you can apply mastering effects to incoming busses and also your master buss out and actually be composing and hearing back something very close to your final sound. Lot of advantages to bringing in multiple busses over lightpipe.

-Paul

Javee
07-09-2008, 02:06 PM
thanks so much guys, that really clears things up.

So, as it is, i think i'll buy another e-mu 1212 for my first slave machine, and then when i buy my third machine, i'll buy a multi adat sound card interface for the host. Just curious, do the slave machines need a DAW installed? Or can i simply load up kontakt 2 in standalone? I'm also thinking now of the choir, being such a demanding piece of software. Is it possible to say have the Mens Choir on Host and Womens Choir on Slave? Or does that require me to purchase a second license?

thanks

daedalus
07-09-2008, 04:51 PM
EWQLSC comes as one license, that means you're only allowed to use it on one computer at a time. It would be different with EWQLSO Platinum which comes with four licenses, one for each group - strings, brass, woods and perc. For that you are able to split them across multiple machines.

Although i'm not using Kontakt, it should be possible to fire it up just in standalone - you are using MIDIoverLAN for the MIDI input (which needs to be selected in Kontakt) and you are routing audio back to your host, so no problem there.

I have to second what paulwr said, the RME HDSP 9652 is a perfect piece of gear to go with your setup *in your host*. It has 3 ADAT I/Os and rock-solid drivers with very low latency. Buy the 9652 together with your third machine, build it into your host and take the spare 1212 for the new system. If you need more I/Os, you have one ADAT left on the 9652 *and* additionally a SPDIF I/O which can give you two more mono tracks as well.:cool:

Best regards.

Jonathan Kranz
07-09-2008, 05:30 PM
I have to second what paulwr said, the RME HDSP 9652 is a perfect piece of gear to go with your setup *in your host*. It has 3 ADAT I/Os and rock-solid drivers with very low latency. Buy the 9652 together with your third machine, build it into your host and take the spare 1212 for the new system. If you need more I/Os, you have one ADAT left on the 9652 *and* additionally a SPDIF I/O which can give you two more mono tracks as well.:cool:

Best regards.

Their new Raydat card has 4 ports now... not sure if its actually available yet, but is perfect for this sort of thing.

-Jonathan