PDA

View Full Version : Vista 64-Bit ASIO Sound Card?

Etmos
07-10-2008, 05:51 AM
I just got a new machine running Vista 64-bit, but I'm not sure how to find out if it has ASIO drivers or not... And if not, where do I go to get the drivers? And if I need to buy a new sound card (which I'm not against at all), then are there any sound cards out there specifically for Vista 64-bit w/ ASIO drivers?

The rest of the system specs are:

Intel Core 2 QUAD 2.66ghz (Quad Core)
8GB RAM
3 SATA Hard Drives (7200rpm)

Anybody here use Vista 64-bit with a soundcard that has ASIO drivers?

(Mine might, but I won't know until I try to record something, which I haven't done yet, right now I'm just spending all of my time installing sample libraries)...

Neurological
07-10-2008, 05:58 AM
I think you have to check the site of your sound card if there are any drivers for Vista 64.

NicolasRoy
07-10-2008, 08:40 AM
RME have 64bit drivers. I use the drivers on XP64 and they are rock solid. But there cards aren't cheap.

You get what you pay for...

persentio
07-10-2008, 07:56 PM
The ASIO drivers come with your soundcard driver CD / installation files.

So far the only soundcards I know of with working 64-bit drivers are RME, MOTU, E-MU and M-Audio.

nikolas
07-11-2008, 01:56 AM
Lynx, I think, also has 64 bit drivers. Just not for LynxONE

Etmos
07-11-2008, 05:19 AM
I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the E-MU 1616m PCI Card Interface... (with that external box thing, etc...)

Unless people have specific reasons why this is a bad idea from personal experiences or anything... For me, it's the right price, according to the website, it has drivers specifically for Vista 64-bit... And I dig all of the connections and stuff it has... (My soundcard on my old computer only had one 1/4" jack on the front, as an example...) This E-MU card has 2 on the front (1/4" + XLR combo inputs)... And then a ton of connections on the back of the control box thing...

So yeah, as long as the drivers for that work like they should, it SEEMS like the ideal card for what I'm wanting to do... But like I said, if people here have tried that with Vista 64-bit and know it doesn't work properly, then let me know...

persentio
07-11-2008, 07:26 AM
Not to hinder you or anything, I too was sold on the E-MU's 'just right' I/O options as well as advertised sound quality, however I feel that it is too overhyped. I haven't tried it on x64 yet, but a few things I dont really like about the product:

1) Overhyped sound quality. Native Instruments' Audio Kontrol 1 had better or almost on-par overall sound quality in my opinion; and it costs much less than the 1616m.

2) You probably won't get to use all of the inputs on the back as a pair or 2 are linked to the phono inputs for the use with turntables and such. The 1/8" outputs apparently only work in a 5.1 session, and I haven't tried it much but seems there's no way to configure how the outputs work for them either.

3) Mic Pres are good; but there is a very sharp spike in Gain level at some point in the middle. So if you need to get a perfect amount of gain anywhere in a certain range, it is virtually impossible to get it.

4) If you use anything higher from 88.1kHz sample rate, you lose a ton of I/O as well as won't be able to hear any audio that doesnt match the exact sample rate you are using. (No native sample rate conversion)

5) VERY CONFUSING AND TEDIOUS (initially) PatchMix DSP Software. However, once you wrap your head around it its a very powerful routing tool that can even be used to mix / master your tracks. Note that if you wish to use Direct Monitoring you will need to configure the software for it (No direct monitor switch or outputs on the unit)

6) Unit gets worryingly hot very quickly; But according to E-MU its fine as long as you leave it in a well-ventilated area.

Just my opinions on the card since I have it. Other than that I would say it's OK for the price, and it generally has stable drivers; you can get pretty low latency from the unit without hiccups.

Etmos
07-11-2008, 07:55 AM
Hmmm...

Yeah, I'm not too worried about the unit getting hot, I figure a simple solution for that would be to just figure out a way to dangle it above a bucket of ice water, using a rig comprised of some drinking straws & a couple of rubber bands... Along with maybe a large block of ice above the unit, so that if the unit starts to emit too much heat, the ice above it will melt, draining down onto the unit, causing the temperature to lower to a more reasonable level so I can continue to record "cool" music with it, if you know what I mean...

Ooooooooor... maybe not...

As for the overhyped sound quality, I haven't actually paid much attention to the hype behind the sound quality... I can only imagine it's better, or comparible, to my Audigy 2 Platinum from 2002, and that worked fine for me... Any minor issues with the input quality could generally be fixed in post production...

I guess my MAIN thing is, that's about how much money I want to spend, and I KNOW (from what their site says) that it's compatible with Vista 64... So to be honest, that's the main selling point for me, along with the fact that I like the way it's set up... (i.e. I'm pretty sure I can install a PCI card, and then plug in an ethernet cable)... I'm not computer genius, but I can handle that... Plus, I know my computer has room for it...

As for the unit getting super hot, what do you mean? You turn it on, record 5 minutes worth of guitar tracks, and suddenly it burns your hand when you touch the unit? Or you mean, if you leave it on and never turn it off, and 12 hours later you touch it, you might notice it's a bit hotter than would be ideal?

Just checking, because obviously if the heat is a HUGE issue (turn it on, and you're suddenly cooking eggs while recording guitar tracks) then I'll go with a different unit...

As for the 88.1khz sampling, I can't even imagine that sort of thing... Somewhere around 44 or 48 should work fine for me I'd think, and going above that is out of my league anyways...

Not 100% sure what you mean about the sharp gain spike though... When i read that, I'm picturing playing a nice clean guitar line, everything is fine, and then suddenly the volume goes from 5 to 15 for a split second, and then we're back to normal... Obviously that would be unacceptable, but I'm also pretty sure that's not what you mean, so if you could clarify that a bit, I'd appreciate it...

Oh wait, just re-read it... Let me make sure I understand... You mean, if the gain knob is turned down low, then it's quiet, and then all of the sudden around 4-5 or so, it starts getting a LOT louder, and it's hard to find the middle ground?

If that's the case, that's how my Audigy 2 Platinum was, and I'm pretty used to it... But if it actually changes the volume level on you at random intervals, then I can't accept that...

As for the monitors... I'm embarassed to say I completely forgot about monitors... I have monitors hooked up to my old computer via an old USB 1.1 interface (stereo out via 1/4" jacks)... I can't imagine that rig would work with Vista... so it WOULD be nice to be able to go directly from this sound card to the monitors... You're saying that's not possible though? Or, what's the problem with that? I guess I don't understand what your point there was... (but it honestly does sound important)...

And finally, low latency is obviously important, so that part sounds good... I'm still leaning towards it... But obviously I have a few questions in this lengthy post (sorry about being long winded)...

persentio
07-11-2008, 08:26 AM
No problem.

- Ok I guess I'll rephrase a bit. The sound quality IS good; not saying it isn't. But from the way it was advertised and comparing it to my previous $250 soundcard I was expecting much better. If I HAD a choice I would choose the AK1 over the 1616m. However NI's drivers and support suck. I guess it was just being compared to an old flagship of Digidesign and obviously newer audio interfaces have come out with better sound quality than the Pro Tools HD at present. But like I said, yup its OK for the price you pay for it.

- NOTE!!! The E-MU EDI Cable is NOT an ethernet cable and according to E-MU, plugging in anything other than the EDI cable to the PCI card will damage both the PCI card as well as the cable. But other than that yup its pretty easy to install and get it running.

- It doesn't get 'super hot' but just hot enough to get you worried. The temperature is still bearable and won't hurt your hand so its not a big issue. My previous soundcard did not get hot at all, so it could be just me as I dont know about other audio interfaces. They probably get heated pretty much as well. So you probably don't need to consider this factor much.

- Yes you are correct about what I am trying to say about the spike in Gain levels from the mic pres. They don't randomly change volume levels so don't worry about it.

- Do your monitors have 1/4" plugs? All of the standard outputs of the E-MU 1616m use 1/4" TRS outs. If they do, they work perfectly fine. I think getting a 1/8" to 1/4" plug adapter might work too. I tried plugging in a standard earphone into the 1/8" outputs of the 1616m and they actually do work; but the outputs have EXTREMELY low volume levels compared to the 1/4" outputs. Also, you only get 'Center' panned sound from output 1 of the 1/8" outs. It might be a 'Session' issue (the Session is a terminology of the Patchmix DSP system; hard to explain but you will get it if you use the software and read through the manual) and I havent really played around with the 5.1 Session much yet. But in a 'default' Wave session you can get sound from the 1st 1/8" output. You need to crank the volume up however.

Etmos
07-11-2008, 08:47 AM
Yeah, my monitors have 1/4" jacks in the back... I guess I thought all monitors did? But then again, these are the only monitors (other than headphones or "computer speakers") that I've ever used, so...

But yeah, sounds good...

And you said you plugged your headphones into the 1/8" jack on the back? (Isn't there a 1/4" headphone jack on the front?) I could be thinking of a different interface I saw... But my old interface had the 1/4" headphone jack on the front, and I thought this one did too (with it's own volume control?)

So I would assume if you were going to use headphones to monitor, you'd use the headphone out, instead of the surround sound in the back... I could have misunderstood what you're saying though...

But yeah, sounds like it'll work for me...

Now my only problem is, trying to get QL Pianos to make sound... ha... Finally got it installed (all 4 pianos) on my new computer, and it works PERFECTLY with all 3 mic positions going simultaneously & everything (in standalone)... But when I add it to Sonar via VST, there's no sound... (Could be the computer's built in sound card?) I wouldn't think so though, since it works fine in stand alone...

I already checked the Support section of the site, and followed it's fixes for the problem, but that didn't help anything...

But yeah, at least my computer seems to run QL Pianos without any problem at all... (other than the VST issue)... Which, I guess is sort of a big deal at the moment...

That sound card sounds good to me still though... Maybe because I already convinced myself I want it, so I'm biased? Not sure... If anybody else dislikes it for any reason though, I'm still willing to listen to complaints (or praise) for the card..

Etmos
07-11-2008, 08:51 AM
I'm an idiot...

The VST didn't work, because I had QL Pianos open in Standalone mode...

And then decided to leave that open, while opening Sonar for the first time, and opening up another session of QL Pianos as a VST plugin...

I guess it wasn't down with having both the standalone & VST running simultaneously... Closed both, then opened Sonar again, with the VST, and it works great...

And it's hardly taking up any computer resources from what I can tell... Maybe if I had more libraries on that hard drive though (so far only have the pianos) then it'd be an issue, but as far as RAM & my processor are concerned, it's golden...

persentio
07-11-2008, 08:56 AM
Yeah, my monitors have 1/4" jacks in the back... I guess I thought all monitors did? But then again, these are the only monitors (other than headphones or "computer speakers") that I've ever used, so...

But yeah, sounds good...
All professional Monitors do come in at least 1/4" or XLR. I think I misread your statement about your current monitors. I thought you implied they used 1/8" jacks and a USB connection.

And you said you plugged your headphones into the 1/8" jack on the back? (Isn't there a 1/4" headphone jack on the front?) I could be thinking of a different interface I saw... But my old interface had the 1/4" headphone jack on the front, and I thought this one did too (with it's own volume control? So I would assume if you were going to use headphones to monitor, you'd use the headphone out, instead of the surround sound in the back... I could have misunderstood what you're saying though...
EARphones. Not Headphones ;) This was in reference to thinking your speakers use 1/8" jacks. The 1616m does have a headphone out with volume control. Note that the volume controls ONLY the overall Headphone output volume; not the rest of the output volumes.

That sound card sounds good to me still though... Maybe because I already convinced myself I want it, so I'm biased? Not sure... If anybody else dislikes it for any reason though, I'm still willing to listen to complaints (or praise) for the card..
Well I too convinced myself to get the 1616m. If I may say, I was sold for exactly all the same reasons as you are currently sold on it. But having owned the unit for a few months already I can give you my 2 cents on it. It's a good interface; but one that I will likely 'upgrade' in the future. I am not particularly happy about the exclusitivity of the EDI cable nor the PCI requirement. Every extra component just means more hassle and cost getting it replaced or fixed should it spoil.

persentio
07-11-2008, 08:58 AM
I'm an idiot...

The VST didn't work, because I had QL Pianos open in Standalone mode...

And then decided to leave that open, while opening Sonar for the first time, and opening up another session of QL Pianos as a VST plugin...

I guess it wasn't down with having both the standalone & VST running simultaneously... Closed both, then opened Sonar again, with the VST, and it works great...

And it's hardly taking up any computer resources from what I can tell... Maybe if I had more libraries on that hard drive though (so far only have the pianos) then it'd be an issue, but as far as RAM & my processor are concerned, it's golden...
Glad it works out fine for you!

A couple of people here are concerned about their systems not being able to run QL Pianos well; perhaps you can list your system specs here or in a separate thread so that others can use it as a point of reference.

Etmos
07-11-2008, 09:12 AM
Actually QL Pianos is failing miserably now... ha ha ha...

I haven't even hooked up my midi controller yet, so...

Playing the piano using the mouse works fine, slide up & down, tons of notes being hit in a fast line, sounds great... etc...

BUT...

I loaded in a Fur Elise midi file (2 midi files, one for each hand)... And tried to have QL Pianos play that back for me, and it does the little intro:

"Doodee doodee doo, doo......." and then goes silent... Sonar continues to move along with the midi, but QL Pianos just stops making noise...

So not sure what settings I would need to change to fix that... But maybe my computer is struggling more than I though? RAM & Processor still have plenty of headroom though, so...

As for my system specs, they're in another thread somewhere... But the basic specs are:

Intel Core 2 Quad (Quad Core) 2.66ghz
8GB of RAM
Vista 64bit

And the samples are running off a 7200rpm 1TB SATA drive, and my DAW & Vista are running off a second identical hard drive...

but yaeh, no idea what's going on with this song... Could be an issue with playing multiple midi files? Maybe the channels aren't set up properly? (It plays the intro with the right hand only, and once the second hand comes in to play the chords, they both go silent)...

Technically this doesn't matter much, as long as it works with my midi controller once I hook that up this weekend... But it'd still be nice to HEAR QL Pianos play this song for me in the meantime...

Etmos
07-11-2008, 09:20 AM
Unless you know otherwise, I'm guessing my issues now are entirely soundcard based... I don't think this system's factory sound card supports ASIO drivers...

I think I'm using WDM/KS drivers at the moment, which are probably causing the problem?

Etmos
07-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Uh oh Persentio...

I just found this thread... Did you guys ever figure out a solution?

http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/showthread.php?t=14196&highlight=Play+Sonar&page=3

It looks like that's what's happening with my midi files in Sonar 7 running through Play... (again, I don't think i even have hardware compatible with the ASIO drivers yet)... BUT, since that entire thread was about the E-MU interface, then well... Is THAT the reason you got rid of yours?

Spinning poo machine
07-11-2008, 03:37 PM
I figure a simple solution for that would be to just figure out a way to dangle it above a bucket of ice water, using a rig comprised of some drinking straws & a couple of rubber bands... Along with maybe a large block of ice above the unit, so that if the unit starts to emit too much heat, the ice above it will melt, draining down onto the unit, causing the temperature to lower to a more reasonable level so I can continue to record "cool" music with it, if you know what I mean...

Ooooooooor... maybe not...

Lol. Dude...

persentio
07-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Hey Etmos,

Apparently the PLAY engine going silent suddenly is a PLAY issue; not just with E-MU hardware or Sonar for that matter. Other people in that thread use other DAWs and audio interfaces and experience the same problem. For myself, I've never come across the samples muting suddenly anywhere while during playback or recording; BUT I do experience quite frequent random dropouts to my audio engine (it makes a loud "ZZZHHHEERT" sound and then stops playing altogether with the red 'DROPOUT' text appearing in the bottom. However, all I have to do is start playback again and all works well until the next dropout. The Mute problem comes when I load up a project. For some reason the samples are silent and I have to re-load that patch again for it to work.

Also, you do need ASIO drivers for PLAY to work well. I have tried using WDM drivers myself and experience loads of dropouts and even at high latency.

Another thing to note: Remember our discussion with your HDDs and libraries spread over only 2 hard drives? It could contribute to dropouts in Pianos. However that is a different issue altogether because I believe your problem now is with the PLAY randomly muting which a lot of us are experiencing one way or another. Once the next PLAY update is released (should be very soon) and you get your audio interface, you can start isolating problems better should you get any in the future.

Oh; and I never said I thrashed my E-MU interface yet; I just said I WOULD replace it in the future. I'm still currently using it. ;)

Etmos
07-12-2008, 06:10 AM
Ah, right on... (about all of that stuff)...

Just for the sake of casual conversation, you mentioned earlier in the thread (and I forgot to reply) that I confused you by making you think I had 1/8" jacks on my monitors, or something, because of the way I described my USB interface for my monitors...

What I was talking about, was the first recording interface I ever bought for my first laptop back in 2000... It's just a USB 1.1 interface, with stereo ins & stereo outs (four 1/4" jacks total)... And on the computer I just replaced, I had a better input interface, so I was only using the 1.1 usb thing for my monitors... (USB 1.1 out of my computer, going to the 1/4" jacks on my monitors via stereo)...

Wanted to clear that up before I forgot...

As for the PLAY issue... I was randomly thinking about other software synths / samples that I have, and one in particular (Miroslav) allows you to adjust the polyphony for each individual instrument you load...

(the example commonly used would be, you might only need 4-5 notes polyphony on a bass guitar, but you'd probably want a lot more on a piano, since it would play more complex chords & runs, all overlapping, etc...)

With that being said, is there any chance that the issue with PLAY would have something to do with the Polyphony settings? (I'm not sure if PLAY allows you to adjust polyphony or not)... But I was thinking that maybe if it was only set to 5 note polyphony or something, that would explain why it suddenly cuts out after the intro to Fur Elise, once more than a couple of notes are hit (and others are still ringing out via reverb, etc...)

Ultimately though, I have no idea what I'm talking about... Like I said, I still haven't even hooked up my keyboard yet, just running random midi files just to see what it sounds like...

So yeah... If there is a way to customize the "polyphony" or whatever in PLAY, I figured maybe I'd tweak those settings, but I really don't have much of an idea what I'm talking about... Just, sounded like AN idea at least...

As for the E-MU thing, I went ahead and ordered it on Thursday morning from Guitar Center, paid for next day afternoon delivery, figured I'd get it Friday, install it, and have everything hooked up for the weekend...

UPS FAILED... It'll be delivered Monday...

The only reason I bring this up is, it's one of those things I'm starting to take for granted with East/West orders... Everytime I order something from East West, I can count on it being delivered to my house the next day before 10:30am, and it's NEVER failed, and I've ordered TONS of stuff from them, and I love that feeling of KNOWING it'll be here tomorrow before 10:30...

Alas, as it stands, ordering via Guitar Center & UPS, I'm left knowing it'll arrive "sometime Monday, between 7:00am-7:00pm"...

WHO HAS TIME TO WAIT FOR A PACKAGE ALL DAY LIKE THAT!?!?!? ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY DON'T EVEN DELIVER ON THE WEEKENDS!!!!!!

Ok, sorry about the rant, just had to get that off my chest... I want to hook this stuff up and see what it can do with a "not factory installed" sound card...

persentio
07-12-2008, 07:17 AM
PLAY does allow you to change the Polyphony limit. Go to "Main Menu -> Current Instrument -> Advanced Properties" and tweak the Voice Limit to your liking. However Im quite certain the sudden muting is not a polyphony issue. The next PLAY update will be soon; so by the time you get your new set up working you can test it out with the new update.

Well hope you get everything worked out in the end! I always preferred FedEx to UPS too.

Etmos
07-12-2008, 08:10 AM
Yeah, I tried a few things with those settings, and nothing worked... (didn't seem to make any difference at all)...

You know how sometimes if you install certain software, the computer will automatically "optimize" it for your system or whatever? I figured MAYBE there was a chance that PLAY did something like that... (And conflicted with certain sound cards, or graphics cards, or some random off the wall piece of hardware or something) and maybe if I checked the polyphony or whatever, it would say something like "5" or "6"...

But yeah, 96... No way that ANYBODY is going to play 96 notes in the first 4 seconds of Fur Elise...

So scratch that idea...

On a random note though, I just installed Gypsy (and again, using only the mouse on the computer to poke aruond at it), that program looks fun... I can't wait to actually get my midi controller hooked up so I can PLAY some of these things, ha... I just loaded up one of those flamingo guitar patches or whatever, and sang an extremely generic version of Knockin' On Heaven's Door, using only my mouse & ridiculous vocal runs...

eh, I had fun anyways...

That was using the Stand Alone Gypsy though... I don't want to mess with Sonar anymore until I get that new sound card... Now I'm installing the second disc to SD2...

Etmos
07-14-2008, 08:33 AM
There we go... It's to be determined whether or not this rig will hold up with hundreds of tracks or whatever (not that I plan on ever attempting that)... But for now, I was able to run the Bosendorf Full Master 88 QL Pianos or whatever, with all 3 mics enabled & reverb, and made it through Fur Elise from beginning to end (using 2 seperate midi files, one for left hand, one for right hand)...

So, THAT worked... So I can only assume I'll be ok using less taxing programs (like Gypsy and stuff like that) if I want to do something with 8-16 tracks or something, eh?

But yeah, that new sound card at first had no sound, and I almost cried, but after installed the DSP PatchMix thing or whatever it is, I got it to work, and now I can't wait to finish installing the rest of my libraries so I can finally put this machine to work...

Etmos
07-14-2008, 08:44 AM
Oh, and it's worth noting that I still have Windows Vista AERO or whatever it is pumped all the way up to the max or whatever... (It's set for "Best Appearance" instead of "Best Performance") jus because I think it looks super cool or whatever... (compared to my "optimized XP Pro machine" which was almost black & white by the time I finished optimizing it)...

So if all else fails, I can always turn off all of those AERO features for even better performance...

MUSE
07-14-2008, 10:16 AM
Nice,
glad that you've got it all up and running. SO I guess I wont have to buy those expensive Velociraptors after all. I'd say that my 1820m sounds the same as RME Multiface 2, I hear no difference while RME costs 4x of the price of E-MU go figure

Etmos
07-14-2008, 11:33 AM
Well, just for the record, keep in mind that in that example, I was only running the Bosendorf from QL Pianos...

I would assume the 10,000rpm hard drives would come in handy when you have more samples coming from the same hard drive...

Once I try to put something together with 10+ tracks of different sample instruments, I very well could run into some problems getting them to play off the hard drive simultaneously...

My solution for that though (if it ends up being a problem), is to do one instrument at a time, and then if need be, just convert the midi performance to an audio file...

I don't see any reason at all that this computer should have trouble running wav files off my third hard drive, while playing one or maybe 2 instruments at a time from my samples hard drive... (therefore allowing me to play as many tracks as I want, as long as I don't plan on going back and changing the midi performance too often after it's recorded)... And even if I did want to change it, I could just un-mute the midi performances or something...

But yeah, as great as 10,000rpm sounds, my case is a bit too small to fit that in there (I can only assume those things get pretty hot)... So without enough ventilation, I have no intentions on moving to 10,000rpm...

But yeah, just because I can run this one piano perfectly fine, doesn't necessarily mean you should completely ignore those raptors or whatever... Depending on what you plan on doing, that could potentially still be an issues in the future...

MUSE
07-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Well my original plan is to get 4 additional HDD's (2-Gold Play Orchestra, 1 QL Pianos and 1 for SD2) Getting Velociraptor just for QL Pianos would be too fancy. I guess I'll just try to go 32mb cashe Seagates and see how they'll perform as I've already have couple of them and running Gypsy wasnt an issue at all.

Etmos
07-15-2008, 05:32 AM
Right on...

And what sound card are you using Muse?

MUSE
07-15-2008, 06:56 AM
Right on...

And what sound card are you using Muse?

On my main 64bit DAW PC I have RME Multiface 2 with PCI card and on my slave 32 XP I've got E-MU 1820M that is running 24/7 and no problems since the day I installed it. They both sound great, not sure why so many on this board are negative about e-mu, that thing is underated and can perform side by side with more expensive soundcards. The only drawback is ther is no support for Gigastudio but its not like I'm using one for now. Later I think GS would make sence since in the newer version 4 you can use VSTi's within the sampler, so imagine running 5 or more instances of Play along with other samples on slave machine, that would be awesome.

Etmos
07-16-2008, 05:00 AM
Yup... I dig the E-MU 1616m so far... As far as the comment earlier about how it gets super hot or whatever, I haven't left mine all day or anything, but after running it for about 3-4 hours or so the other day, it stayed cool... I have it sitting on top of my computer tower, so maybe if it was under a blanket or something it'd get hot, but where it's at right now, it works great...

The only problem (which isn't really much of a problem since I haven't tried to use that PatchMix stuff yet) but every time my computer starts, the Patchmix software starts up, and then tells me there's some sort of error, because I don't have the proper E-MU hardware installed or something, so the PatchMix might be limited...

I don't really care, since everything I bought the sound card for works great... But if I ever decide to figure out the PatchMix DSP stuff or whatever, maybe I'll run into problems?

persentio
07-16-2008, 06:26 AM
How cool does your Microdock stay? It gets hot but I never said super hot. Just worryingly hot because judging by how fast it heats up you worry about leaving it on too long. However I have left mine on for 3 days straight playing music to burn in my new headphones and its fine.

If you are getting that error message when PatchMix DSP starts, it is simply because your Microdock isn't turned on and recognized by your computer BEFORE patchmix launches. As long as you turn on the unit when Windows boots up you shouldn't get it. If not, simply exit Patchmix, turn the microdock on, and then restart Patchmix.

And trust me, Figuring Patchmix DSP out will give you much more solutions and even unexpected pleasant surprises than problems in the long run ;)

Etmos
07-16-2008, 07:26 AM
How cool does my microdock stay?

I'm talking about um... Trying to think of a clever way to describe it...

Basically, if you have your computer tower sitting on top of a desk, and you unplug it from the wall so there's no power going to it, and then you leave for vacation, and come back 2 weeks later, and touch the top of the computer tower... That's about how hot my Microdock got after 3 hours of use...

If it didn't have the lights on (and my headphones plugged into it) I wouldn't have even known it was on (based on the temperature)...

With that being said, after thinking about it, that more than likely has to do with how we're using ours... If you have a bunch of stuff plugged into it, it would probably get hot I'm assuming? Mine only had the headphones & one 1/4" jack in use for those 3 hours... So I guess I wasn't really overloading it with inputs or outputs at all...

As for the solution to the DSP thing, I'll check that next time I start my computer... I actually thought about that though, because I never turn on the microdock until after the computer starts, so that's probably it... I'll try turning that on first next time...

Etmos
07-23-2008, 04:44 AM
6) Unit gets worryingly hot very quickly; But according to E-MU its fine as long as you leave it in a well-ventilated area.

OH, I see... At first it worked great (the card still is excellent & does everything I want it to do), and using just headphones as the output, it never got hot at all... But now I have all 3 of the 1/8" jacks on the back going out to my speakers, and after running for maybe 4-5 hours or so, I can definitely feel the unit starting to get hot...

So I think it has something to do with the outputs... (not a big deal, but just figured I'd at least acknowledge that you are correct, that the unit does in fact get pretty hot, but it takes a while...)

Also, I don't suppose you know of a way to get surround sound out of this thing? Preferably without using the optical outs? My Logitech 5.1 computer speakers that I use for general use, have the 3 1/8" jacks (yellow, green & black) that I used to have plugged into my old creative card which had surround sound... But I don't think the 3 jacks on the back of the E-MU unit are specifically for surround sound, I think they're just basic outputs...

My computer has a second card on it (the one it came with) which has surround sound outs for these speakers, but ever since plugging in the E-MU, I can't get my old sound card to work...

persentio
07-23-2008, 09:16 PM
I think it would be a good option to remove the previous soundcard as well as uninstall all drivers of that soundcard to prevent any audio driver conflicts.

Capycdeyh
09-20-2008, 08:01 AM
Or simply disabling the old sound card in device manager=) Hard to remove old soundcard if its built into motherboard;)

bruj0
06-10-2009, 03:39 AM
No problem.

- NOTE!!! The E-MU EDI Cable is NOT an ethernet cable and according to E-MU, plugging in anything other than the EDI cable to the PCI card will damage both the PCI card as well as the cable. But other than that yup its pretty easy to install and get it running.

I got worried for a second there!!!!!

To clear up the proprietary nature of the edi cable I checked in the manual

"EDI Connector (Card)
Connects the MicroDock to the E-MU 02 CardBus card using a CAT5-type computer
cable. The cable supplied with the MicroDock is specially shielded to prevent unwanted
RF emissions

Warning:
The E-MU 02 CardBus card has been designed to use readily available
and inexpensive standard computer system cables. This makes it easy for you to find
replacement cables if your original cable becomes damaged or lost. However, because
these standard cables types are used for other purposes, you must use caution to avoid
connecting the cables incorrectly. DO NOT connect the supplied EDI cable to the
Ethernet or network connector on your computer. Doing so may result in permanent
damage to either your computer, the E-MU 02 CardBus card, or the MicroDock."

So in other words dont plug the network into the Microdock or vice versa........ Phew!!!!!!! I had been running mine via a 5m standard network cable!:)