PDA

View Full Version : Problem with usb ports amount

Gedren
07-13-2008, 10:18 AM
Hi all

I compose on my laptop. There are 3 usb ports, which I use for a mouse, Cubase security key and a midi keyboard. But recently I purchased MoR, so I got iLok key. But I don't have one more usb space for it...
Does anyone have some kind of idea, how can I use all these 4 usbs together?
I will be very thankful.

Djoule
07-13-2008, 11:34 AM
2 solutions :
- don't use a mouse and keep using your touchpad (it's what I do with my laptop)
- buy a usb Hub so that you can plug a larger amound of usb devices in the case you want to keep your mouse
;)

Etmos
07-13-2008, 12:09 PM
The USB Hub thing was the solution I was going to suggest, but do you know anything about how iLok & the Cubase security keys work?

I know some things (like my midi controller) you would have to install the driver for every USB port you want to use it on (meaning if you install it using one USB port, and then eventually unplug it and try plugging it into port 3 instead of the original one or whatever, then it won't recognize it until you install the driver again,...) But, once the driver is installed, it will always recognize it on that port.

With that being said, does the iLok key (or Cubase security key), do they care what port you installed them on? If so, a USB Hub might confuse multiple keys on one input, in which case, the hub might not work.

I'm no expert with this though, so maybe somebody else could confirm it would work?

Gedren
07-13-2008, 12:14 PM
Djoule
I doubt that I'll able to work without a mouse, but a usb Hub sound a nice solution!
Thank you very much for the advice! I'm such a noob in tech stuffs. :D

Gedren
07-13-2008, 12:21 PM
With that being said, does the iLok key (or Cubase security key), do they care what port you installed them on? If so, a USB Hub might confuse multiple keys on one input, in which case, the hub might not work.
Oh that's a good question...
Although maybe I can let Cubase and iLok keys stay in my laptop, and for Hub I can use just a mouse and midi-keyboard...

Etmos
07-13-2008, 12:27 PM
I would ASSUME that would work? But again, I can't guarantee it. I've never used a hub, so not sure how picky they are. Good luck with it though, having a limited number of USB ports can be a pain, especially since it SEEMS like there would be a simple solution to it.

I would think the hub should work though. And I agree 100%... Every laptop I've ever owned, I've always bought a mouse along with it, because I can't stand those touch pads.

Gedren
07-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Thank you, Etmos! :)

I hope it will work fine for me.
But it would be great, if somewhere here, who have used the Hub could confirm how it works...

zuijlen
07-14-2008, 10:50 PM
I can't tell you how a hub works with iLok (which I don't have), but it works fine for a MIDI keyboard. It's true that moving a device to another port sometimes requires reinstalling the driver (Korg's Kontrol49 is that way), so it's best to have a more or less fixed configuration and stick with it.

Etmos
07-15-2008, 06:35 AM
Yeah, the Korg Kontrol49 is the one I use... I love it as a controller, but I unplugged it at some point, and when I plugged it back into a random USB port (didn't pay attention to which one it was in before) it caught me off guard when my computer didn't recognize it... but then I realized that it was BECAUSE of that USB port...

But yeah, if midi controllers work with hubs, then I'm sure you could at the very least use the hub for the mouse & midi controller if nothing else... Use it as a splitter basically...

Gedren
07-16-2008, 11:10 AM
Thank you for the post, zuijlen!

But yeah, if midi controllers work with hubs, then I'm sure you could at the very least use the hub for the mouse & midi controller if nothing else... Use it as a splitter basically...
Yeap, I will then so. :)

Gedren
07-24-2008, 01:13 PM
Yay, I got a usb hub, and everything works fine. :)
And yes, I can confirm it works ok with iLok and Cubase keys.