PDA

View Full Version : Help with new soundcard please.

Gulliver
07-18-2008, 06:41 AM
I am interested in the RME 9632 + XLR connectors, to handle a fairly extensive library of EWQL instruments plus midi and audio. The rest of the set up would be:-
Sonar 7 Producers Edition, Vista 64, Q6600 2.4 GHz, plus lots of RAM and multiple fast hard drives.

If I have done my research properly this soundcard will be fine, but I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone who knows of any problems that might exist.

Also Vatroslav in his article about setting up single 64 bit systems, points out that this soundcard won't handle multiple standalone instances, I quote:-

BEWARE - in order to have multiple standalone K2 instances running audio on the same ASIO audio driver properly without major workaround efforts, you need an audio interface with multiple analog channels programming. That is why this particular audio interface (RME 9632) will never be able to execute even a completely other audio app riding the same ASIO driver with a K2 instance at the same time (like a sequencer - my Cubase simply can not output audio with K2 open at the same time on the same ASIO), let alone multiple standalone K2 instances

Now, I have to confess that I don't think I really follow this, since I have never used K2 or even Kompakt as a standalone program, nor have I ever tried to run more than one program at the same time (presumably that would be like trying to open WaveLab while Cubase is already running).

What concerns me is that since I am doing a major upgrade and 'future-proofing' is on my mind, I would like to know why a soundcard might need the ability to program multiple anolog channels, and why some people use their EW samples as standalone versions? Is it purely for live work, or is it something I might need later?

Thanks, Gulliver.

MUSE
07-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Your sound interface looks fine and system in general, so no wories about future proof.
If you work on the same PC then you wouldnt run your PLay instances in standalone mode, it'll be within your DAW and Sonar 7 PE is 64bit so you'll be able to utilize all of your ram.
Standalone is for slave setup when your using additional PC's for computing power.
Cheers

Gulliver
07-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Many thanks for that. Could I ask a few more questions? ...

1) I am going to be using a lot of 32 bit VIs on this new machine, and I know Sonar 7 has a facility for making them work on 64 bit (bitbridge?), but I keep reading that people have a dual boot 32/64 system; will I need that too?

2) I am switching to Sonar 7 PE from Cubase SX3. Sonar assures me that if I can save my Cubase songs in an OMS format (which I can) there will be be no problem. But I'd love to hear from someone who's actually done it, and know that it transfers successfully with no need to tweak or repair. (I think it's called OMS - either way it's definately in the menu).

3) Quite a few people have written in describing their problems with Vista 64. If I experience too many myself when I get this machine running, is XP 64 a viable alternative or will I just have to wait until fixes have been made.

Best wishes.:)

persentio
07-18-2008, 10:03 PM
1) The Dual Boot at least for my case is simply to act as something I can fall back on should some software not work properly in Vista 64. Also note that even if SONAR's bit bridge technology, not everything will run correctly. For example, All of my 32-bit plugins running on Vista64 stop SONAR's audio engine when the user interface is brought up or made active. This makes it a PAIN for me to audition changes I make in the patch, or test out changing of parameters in real time. Others (Like Choirs' Wordbuilder) won't even insert as a plugin properly at all.

2) Cant help you here

3) I would suggest you wait; because XP64 will soon not be as widely supported as Vista64 when all the software / audio companies decide to make a move to the 64-bit era. Support for XP64 might also be phased out. Currently all of my 64-bit supported hardware and software are working just fine on Vista 64, and Im glad that I have at least some form of workability with my 32-bit instruments. Even my class compliant M-Audio keyboard which isn't officially supported on Vista64 yet still works without installing any official drivers.

Gulliver
07-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Hi PerSenTio,

Thanks for those last comments. I presume EW will eventually have PLAY versions for all of their products. I have owned Symphonic Choirs for some time but was never able to make Wordbuilder work because my old PC did not meet the min required power (one of the many reasons I am upgrading).

Regarding your set up - you have described how using old 32 bit plug-ins causes Sonar to get indigestion, but how does the dual boot system fit in? Do you then have to start a 32 bit version of your piece, work with your old plug-ins and import the audio tracks back into the 64 bit version?

Hope this makes sense.