PDA

View Full Version : Stereo or 2.1?

Jordi Font
07-19-2008, 10:51 AM
Hi!

I've been doing all my works with a poor pc's monitors stereo setup:(. Although I haven't much idea in mixing, sooner or later I will get on this; so now, I'm looking for a good pair of monitors.

I think some small monitors can need some extra bass, but at the moment you add them the overall cost is similar two the bigger monitor option.

I hate to buy twice or have useless hardware on my studio.

My question is about what is best to go for a full range monitoring:

1.-two 8"woofer monitors (is that too much???)
I can get the dynaudio's BM12 for 1368
Or Adam P22 for 1511

2.-two smaller monitors with a 10" subwoofer?
as dynaudio's BM5 + BM9 for 1529
or Adam's A7 + Sub10 for 1432

For deepest specifications:

the room size: 15 m2 now, but in two year's, my "near to be build-house" will have a bigger spaced studio around 20 m.
No acoustic treatment by now, but with a lot of furniture (if that helps...)

music styles: almost any, actually for BSO

not planning to work on 5.1 setup in short term for now

Has anyone of you any of these setups?

Thanks!!

Jordi Font
07-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Someone suggests me Blu sky System one (2.1) - 1666€

Have any of you any of those systems mentioned above?

I need some help before I make any purchase!!

Thanks!!

Muziksculp
07-22-2008, 11:57 AM
I have not used, or heard the BLu Sky system one, but had a chance to compare the Dynaudio system to the ADAM ... and the Winner is ------ > (ADAM) Without a doubt !

I'm currently using a pair of ADAM A7's with the ADAM Sub-10 Subwoofer, and I can comfortably say that this is the best sounding monitoring system I have ever had in my project studio, and the best money spent on my studio !

I'm extremely satisfied, and very happy with ADAM system. They made a huge impact on my monitoring system, just for the record, I was using Genelec monitors (2029 w/ 1091A sub) before switching to the ADAM system.

Cheers.

michaelshumway
07-22-2008, 11:57 AM
It's probably all personal preference, but I'd recommend using your money on on a nice stereo setup. If all you're doing is music, then a sub really isn't necessary, especially when most systems that people will listen to your music on, even audiophile guys, will be two channel. I only use my sub for 5.1 mixes where I need explosions and such. Plus, I'd take 2 nice monitors any day, over 2 ok monitors and a sub. This is all preference of course, so just go with you what you like to listen to. I have a pretty high end home theatre system in my home as well, and when I listen to music in there, i go 2 channels and cut the sub out. Hope that helps.

Jordi Font
07-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Thanks for your answers,

"I'm currently using a pair of ADAM A7's with the ADAM Sub-10 Subwoofer"-Muziksculp

Do you think a 10" sub is enough?

what about 12" (blu sky's sub is 12")?

Thanks!

Muziksculp
07-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Yes, ADAM Sub-10 is more than enough. Just the right Sub for the A7's.

Jordi Font
07-22-2008, 04:38 PM
Thanks!

I think I will go for them.

Muziksculp
07-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Your Very Welcome !

Just to let you know, I spent a total of 9 hours, listening to various monitors, over two days at a music retailer, with a very professional and patient sales person, switching between many models.. Listening to a large variety of music to test the monitors, before selecting the A7s w/ Sub-10.

You might want to test them before purchasing, to compare how they stand-out/compare to other brands, but if you don't have the opportunity to do so, well.... at least I'm one very happy ADAM user who chose them, based on extensive listening tests, rather than any marketing hype, or just a recommendation. The Bottom line for me .... They sound superb !

Enjoy.