PDA

View Full Version : Network hardware for MIDIoverLAN CP?

bwherry
07-19-2008, 07:53 PM
Hi guys,

I just got my new 8GB quad core x64 machine up and running. I plan to use it as a slave, running EWQLSO PLAY and sending MIDI to it via MIDIoverLAN. What network hardware should I use for optimal MIDIoverLAN performance? I have one of those LinkSYS wireless router w/ 5-port hub deals that everyone has - would plugging the controller and slave into there via ethernet be a sufficient network setup, or is some other router/hub/switch/something going to be better?

Thanks in advance,

Brian

ps- I inquired to MusicLab about this already -- no response. :(

A.Leung
07-19-2008, 08:50 PM
in one rooom we have a D link gigabit Switch DGS 1008D. Works great.

bwherry
07-22-2008, 01:46 AM
in one rooom we have a D link gigabit Switch DGS 1008D. Works great.

Thanks Allan! Actually MusicLab got back to me recently - and apologized for the late response, as they were on vacation. All good. They said a single crossover cable from the controller to the slave would be best/simplest for now, with a switch recommended if I expand in the future.

All that being said, I downloaded the MIDIoverLAN CP trial today and installed it on my controller and slave, and tried it out using my LinkSYS wireless router/hub -- and it worked great! I was sending MIDI to Toontrack's Superior Drummer 2.0 on the slave, the only sample lib I've got on there so far (and it's awesome, BTW) and sending the audio back into Pro Tools digitally (RME 9562 ADAT1). Very low latency, great performace, etc. What a great product! Super easy to setup, worked immediately, ... love it.

I'll still try the crossover cable when it arrives, and with EWQLSO PLAY, as a whole orchestra will certainly be much more demanding than one drum kit! :)

Brian, MIDIoverLAN fan. :)

A.Leung
07-22-2008, 02:18 AM
Lol. Glad its working out. The single cable from 'puter to 'puter is best for small systems. If and when you expand and need a switch box make sure it gets plenty of ventilation. One of ours overheats sometimes and causes crackles in the audio (doesnt effect recording but it IS annoying). Weve got a fan cooling it now so its doing better. (just something to keep in mind for the future)

Issnt it a great feeling when you get your first farm going!? :)

Cheers,

bwherry
07-22-2008, 05:18 PM
Lol. Glad its working out. The single cable from 'puter to 'puter is best for small systems. If and when you expand and need a switch box make sure it gets plenty of ventilation. One of ours overheats sometimes and causes crackles in the audio (doesnt effect recording but it IS annoying). Weve got a fan cooling it now so its doing better. (just something to keep in mind for the future)

Thanks for the info. I'm already quite paranoid about cooling requirements, now that I've got two machines in an Isobox instead of just one. I'll be watching that thermometer like a hawk! I'm going to invest in some more fans, too...

Issnt it a great feeling when you get your first farm going!? :)

Hehehe, it really is! (albeit a small farm) Seeing the CPU meter on my sequencer at like ZERO while I've got all kinds of sample playback happening is very nice indeed. Now I'm super-psyched to get EWQLSO PLAY on there!!

Brian