PDA

View Full Version : Who all is using 64 bit PC systems?

Spinning poo machine
07-23-2008, 04:09 PM
It's been a while since Vatroslav laid down that huge 64 bit post, but I was wondering if anyone else is using any 64 bit PC's besides him. Anyone? I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a lot of success with it yet.

And I KNOW some of you are using a 64 bit system, but you just never took the time to post an update on that 64 bit page. Come on, I'm so sick of these urban myth incompatibility issues with 64 bit systems circulating ALL OVER THE PLACE, so you guys need to come out and say it like it is to sway the masses to the other side. Progress is being held back because big-mouthed people are foolishly generating hype that "slaves are still the way to go and 64 bit systems are just too buggy and the workarounds cause headaches." Please answer!

Pietro
07-23-2008, 04:55 PM
I do. Different way:

Tutorial (http://www.piotrmusial.com/tutorials/tut4.html)

- Piotr

Etmos
07-23-2008, 08:19 PM
I use a 64 bit Vista system...

The only things that I own that aren't fully compatible are:

DR-880 Drum Machine (needs USB driver, but this doesn't really matter, since the only reason I would ever need to hook this up, is to get the drum beats from my OLD songs transfered to the computer... I can do that on one of my older 32 bit systems, and just transfer them that way...)

SampleTank 2.5XL (this won't show up as a VST plug-in in 64-bit Sonar, but that doesn't really matter since I have about 100 other programs that do the same thing SampleTank does, and probably quite a bit better...)

Nomad Factory Blue Tubes Plug-Ins (This kind of sucks, since I like using the EQ & Compression from this collection, but again, doesn't really matter too much since I have plenty of other EQ & Compression plug-ins, and if I really want to use these, I can open up a 32-bit session of Sonar, and they'll show up fine in there, just not in the 64-bit session of Sonar)...

Other than that, everything I've tried on my 64-bit system works perfectly... (so far)

peter5992
07-23-2008, 09:34 PM
Me .... well hopefully very soon .... my computer is still in the shop (but - it will be upgraded to Windows 64 bit XP professional with dual boot setup).

My computer guy will get to it this Saturday -- exciting.

Pochflyboy
07-24-2008, 12:01 AM
I just set up a 64bit system that I will be hooking up through MIDIoverLAN. No problems with drivers at all. I am just waiting for the first play products to come in.
-Joe P.

Spinning poo machine
07-24-2008, 05:08 PM
Wow, that's encouraging. Thanks for the input, guys.

Pietro, thanks for that tutorial, I was wondering if anyone else had even seen that post by LEX besides that one other guy.

And thanks for that detailed post, Etmos, I'm a little more convinced now about the 64 bit path. I'm also a little shocked that you're having that much success with Vista, to tell you the truth.

Good luck with that workstation, peter5992, I'll be ordering mine soon.

bwherry
07-25-2008, 11:58 AM
I just set up a 64bit system that I will be hooking up through MIDIoverLAN. No problems with drivers at all. I am just waiting for the first play products to come in.
-Joe P.

Same here. So far I've just got Toontrack's Superior Drummer 2.0 on the new 64-bit machine (8GB DDR800 RAM, Core2 Quad, Windows XP Pro x64) using an RME 9652. Sending MIDI to it from my Pro Tools controller via MIDIoverLAN, routing audio back via ADAT optical. Works great. Can't wait for EWQLSO PLAY!

Brian

Spinning poo machine
07-25-2008, 06:45 PM
Ok, thanks bwherry, those look a lot like the specs on the system I'm about to get.

Stevie
07-26-2008, 06:26 AM
Same config as bwherry (not the Protools part though ;) )
and all my plugins are working perfectly. Using Nuendo 4 here.

Spinning poo machine
07-26-2008, 09:46 AM
That's cool to hear, thanks for the input.

GtrJazz
07-26-2008, 11:28 AM
How many of you are using Platinum orchestra on 1 64 bit computer?

Spinning poo machine
07-26-2008, 12:17 PM
Apparently Pietro, and I'm positive Vatroslav is.

MUSE
07-28-2008, 09:14 AM
I've been using 64 Vista for a while now with VI Special Edition installed only, it's been great to have 8gb of ram and I can load the whole VI library with only 60% of ram taken. My third machine for Play only software arrives tomorrow, can't wait and hope EW will start shipping soon since it's been 2 weeks from announced release date for EWSO.

Anders Niska
07-29-2008, 04:30 AM
What motherboard and other specs did you guys choose for you 64bit system? I got some info on that from Vatroslav's posts but that mb is discontinued now for example...

Please give us some more info!

Anders, Sweden

Stevie
07-29-2008, 05:20 AM
Asus P5Q Deluxe with Q9450

persentio
07-29-2008, 05:48 AM
Add another single 64-bit PC user to the list. Mine's a Gigabyte MOBO with an X38 chipset, Q6600.

Anders Niska
07-29-2008, 06:10 AM
...and I assume that all is systems are stable as my pocket calculator? :-)

Thanks for your replies!

More working systems out there?

Spinning poo machine
07-29-2008, 06:33 PM
Thanks for that contribution, Persentio and Muse.

MUSE
07-30-2008, 01:07 PM
...and I assume that all is systems are stable as my pocket calculator? :-)

Thanks for your replies!

More working systems out there?
My 64 Vista has been very stable compare to 32bit XP that continues to disapoint.
With my Play machine I'll try XP 64 since my brother has a copy and license that he doesnt use, we'll see how that goes plus I still should be able to use my old RA, SD and Ethno World 4 libraries.

Anders Niska
07-31-2008, 05:52 AM
Asus P5Q Deluxe with Q9450

Im looking at that combo. Is everything working perfectly?

Stevie
07-31-2008, 06:15 AM
Yep, I had no problems at all.
I was really doubtful, because building a new system is always
an adventure ;)
But I cannot complain. Everything runs fine and the performance boost is
really huge compared to my old X2 4200++.

Spinning poo machine
08-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Oh, so the Q9450 is better off than the Q6600 after all? That's what I thought, but I had read some mumbles here and there about the Q6600 being better because of some weird geek aspect that's beyond me. Just curious, because that's pretty much the only thing I'm iffy about in the system I'm about to get.

persentio
08-05-2008, 08:49 PM
By right, the Q9450 should outperform the Q6600. If you want to save some money however, the Q6600 will still be sufficient.

Memphis
08-07-2008, 05:28 AM
Hi, Im new with EW and wonder just a thing. If decide to go over to XP- or Vista-64bit, can I use more than 4Gb RAM with the older EW-versions or is it just with the new Play-versions? Is there any RAM-limit with the older versions, so to speak?

/Memphis

Spinning poo machine
08-07-2008, 04:13 PM
By right, the Q9450 should outperform the Q6600. If you want to save some money however, the Q6600 will still be sufficient.

That's what I figured... Thanks. The Q9450 will do.

Hi, Im new with EW and wonder just a thing. If decide to go over to XP- or Vista-64bit, can I use more than 4Gb RAM with the older EW-versions or is it just with the new Play-versions? Is there any RAM-limit with the older versions, so to speak?

You sure can use more than 4 GB of RAM. Pietro mentioned one simple way to get to 6 GB at this link here (http://www.piotrmusial.com/tutorials/tut4.html), and Vatroslav has two very detailed posts about a workaround here (http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/showthread.php?t=12360&page=3).

Stevie
08-09-2008, 07:12 AM
The Q9450 is not that much faster than the Q6600.
But it consumes less power (45nm) and is therefore cooler = better for OC

Spinning poo machine
08-09-2008, 04:20 PM
The Q9450 is not that much faster than the Q6600.
But it consumes less power (45nm) and is therefore cooler = better for OC

All the benchmarks I've seen about it revealed a power/speed increase significant enough to merit it as my choice over the Q6600, especially considering that many DAW builders will offer the Q9450 for not much more than the Q6600. Nonetheless, thanks for that tip, especially with regard to overclocking, if I do decide to give that a whack one day.

Stevie
08-09-2008, 09:26 PM
yep that was also my idea. thats why i went for the 9450.
not oc'ing at the moment. but its good to be safe :)

SBallard
08-12-2008, 11:35 PM
Well, I'll be joining the 64 bit squad here shortly. I just got done ordering everything for my new system that I'm building, solely for my studio. I will be using XP 64, and won't go to Vista because it's such a resource hog. The one thing that I'm waiting on to put in to the system is the new RME HDSPe RayDAT, they aren't in stock yet.

Daryl
08-13-2008, 02:44 AM
I'm now all 64bit, and life couldn't be sweeter....!

D

Spinning poo machine
08-13-2008, 07:00 AM
Nice.

Spinning poo machine
08-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Well, I just ordered my 64 bit workstation yesterday, so that's one more to the list.

Q9450
8 GB RAM
4X500 GB Seagate 7200.11
Windows XP Professional X64 w/SP2

Stevie
08-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Very good.
But there's no SP2 for XP64. XP64 derives from the Windows Server 2003, so the normal
XP SP doesn't work here. We will have to wait for a new Win 2003 SP.

EDIT: sorry, i mistook it. Of course I mean there's no SP3 yet.
All good ;)

Spinning poo machine
08-15-2008, 04:55 PM
Ok, good (with that edit)... You sure did confuse me there for a second, dude.

Stevie
08-15-2008, 04:57 PM
LOL, sorry. But I can assure you, XP64 /w SP2 runs very very well, even without that SP3 ;)

Spinning poo machine
08-15-2008, 05:02 PM
No prob.

Good, I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Pietro
08-15-2008, 07:17 PM
Me too.

And, haha, I'm still using the 120-days trial version.

After the trial period, you can still use it, but it will restart itself automaticaly every 2 hours. I can live with that ;). (untill I get full version, which is not that soon)

- Piotr

Spinning poo machine
08-15-2008, 07:33 PM
Lol.

composeralex
08-16-2008, 02:47 AM
I use XP 64-bit. I just made a post about music software compatibility ... check it out on the "Resources" page of my web site (http://www.composeralex.com)! I tested a whole bunch of programs, found out what works and what doesn't, as well as noted some bugs I discovered, along with any solutions I know. I hope you find it helpful!

Daryl
08-16-2008, 04:19 AM
The only thing that concerns me in the slightest is the Wordbuilder issue. However, as soon as another Choir option becomes available, I'll move over to that instead. Unless EW fixes this in the meantime.

D

persentio
08-16-2008, 04:58 AM
They are. PLAY Choirs! :) (Although it is still a potentially long wait..)

Spinning poo machine
08-16-2008, 02:28 PM
Thanks for that compatibility list Alex, that was cool. I have to say it's good to hear that Kompakt works (having just bought the Complete Composers Collection and a 64 bit workstation). I am a little bummed out that Wordbuilder doesn't work, although that's not a huge deal for me.

Daryl
08-16-2008, 05:11 PM
They are. PLAY Choirs! :) (Although it is still a potentially long wait..)

Well if it takes too long, I'm sure that I'll be using something else.

D

mhuang
08-16-2008, 06:28 PM
The only thing that concerns me in the slightest is the Wordbuilder issue. However, as soon as another Choir option becomes available, I'll move over to that instead. Unless EW fixes this in the meantime.

D

Wordbuider does work in xp64, but ony in 32bit sequencers.

Daryl
08-17-2008, 03:32 AM
Wordbuider does work in xp64, but ony in 32bit sequencers.

That's exactly what I tested. How did you get it to work? Any hints? I have no interest in 64bit sequencers yet.

D

Spinning poo machine
08-17-2008, 07:56 AM
I'd like to know how you got it to work as well.

mhuang
08-17-2008, 03:35 PM
@Daryl, Spinning...

I use sonar 7 32bits under xp64, and I just use word builder as I would in xp32, simply load choir kompakt VSTi inside sonar, insert a midi track that outputs to choir VSTi and insert wordbuilder as a midi effect in that midi track.

Daryl
08-17-2008, 03:48 PM
@Daryl, Spinning...

I use sonar 7 32bits under xp64, and I just use word builder as I would in xp32, simply load choir kompakt VSTi inside sonar, insert a midi track that outputs to choir VSTi and insert wordbuilder as a midi effect in that midi track.

Hm, that didn't work with Nuendo 4. I'll have another go tomorrow and see if it the same in N3.

D

mhuang
08-17-2008, 04:19 PM
Daryl,

I just tried word builder on cubase 4 32bit/winxp 64 and it works under cubase 4 as well, so nuendo SHOULD work.

jloving
08-17-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm running Wordbuilder on Vista x64 with the 64bit Sonar installed as well, so it definitely will work on 64bit systems.

The way I do it is to run Wordbuilder in standalone and hook it up to Sonar with virtual midi cables (I'm using LoopBe30). Once directed back into Sonar I set that midi track's output to whichever Choirs/Kontakt instance I want just like in the 32bit environment.

It takes a bit of patience to get it all routed, but save a template and never worry about it again. I prefer Wordbuilder in standalone anyway as it's much more flexible and easier to work with (at least in a visual sense).

I've spoken to Alex already, but if any othe Sonar users would rather not fool with setting it up, send me a PM and I'd be happy to forward one of my templates along for you.

Jon

Spinning poo machine
08-17-2008, 04:55 PM
Daryl,

I just tried word builder on cubase 4 32bit/winxp 64 and it works under cubase 4 as well, so nuendo SHOULD work.

Sweet! It works under Cubase 4. Thanks for the tip.

Daryl
08-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Sweet! It works under Cubase 4. Thanks for the tip.

Well I just tried it again and couldn't get it to work. In fact when I click the keyboard there isn't even any of that lovely squeaky singing....! The samples without WB work, so it is certainly a problem with WB.

D

Spinning poo machine
08-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Well I just tried it again and couldn't get it to work. In fact when I click the keyboard there isn't even any of that lovely squeaky singing....! The samples without WB work, so it is certainly a problem with WB.

It doesn't work?

Well, thanks for crushing my dreams.

mhuang
08-20-2008, 11:16 PM
Jon,

can you explain how your are routing to make word builder work with sonar 64?
I use the same virtual midi cable as your (loopbe30) and I can't get word builder to work in standalone with sonar 7 64.

thanks

I'm running Wordbuilder on Vista x64 with the 64bit Sonar installed as well, so it definitely will work on 64bit systems.

The way I do it is to run Wordbuilder in standalone and hook it up to Sonar with virtual midi cables (I'm using LoopBe30). Once directed back into Sonar I set that midi track's output to whichever Choirs/Kontakt instance I want just like in the 32bit environment.

It takes a bit of patience to get it all routed, but save a template and never worry about it again. I prefer Wordbuilder in standalone anyway as it's much more flexible and easier to work with (at least in a visual sense).

I've spoken to Alex already, but if any othe Sonar users would rather not fool with setting it up, send me a PM and I'd be happy to forward one of my templates along for you.

Jon

jloving
08-21-2008, 09:27 AM
Jon,

can you explain how your are routing to make word builder work with sonar 64?
I use the same virtual midi cable as your (loopbe30) and I can't get word builder to work in standalone with sonar 7 64.

thanks

"Internal MIDI" refers to LoopBe30. I've used a separate cable for each voices MIDI Out, but one cable will work too. The way I have it set up cables 1&5, 2&6, 3&7 and 4&8 are paired. Tracks 1-4 are for the MIDI data (SATB) the other MIDI tracks only pass the data through.

Kompakt
MIDI Track 1 - "Sopranos"
<OUT> Internal MIDI 1, Ch 1

Wordbuilder Sopranos
<IN> Internal MIDI 1, Ch 1
<OUT> Internal MIDI 5, Ch 1-5

MIDI Track 5-9* - "Sopranos WB-In"
Track 5 <IN> Internal MIDI 5, Ch 1
Track 6 <IN> Internal MIDI 5, Ch 2
Track 7 <IN> Internal MIDI 5, Ch 3
Track 8 <IN> Internal MIDI 5, Ch 4
Track 9 <IN> Internal MIDI 5, Ch 5
-----
Track 5 <OUT> Symphonic Choirs, Ch 1
Track 6 <OUT> Symphonic Choirs, Ch 2
Track 7 <OUT> Symphonic Choirs, Ch 3
Track 7 <OUT> Symphonic Choirs, Ch 4
Track 8 <OUT> Symphonic Choirs, Ch 5

From there route the VST's output as you would normally.

*Make sure to turn Input Echo on for all track that are receiving from Wordbuilder. It won't work if this isn't enabled.

Repeat for each voice - if you're using the Kontakt Multis, just add 5 more MIDI channels for the "Wordbuilder In", and assign them to channels 6-10 as per above. If Sonar stops receiving from Wordbuilder try opening LoopBe30's Monitor - this seems to get the data flowing again.

I should also mention I've had some trouble with Kontakt not producing any sounds, but I'm pretty positive this is not Wordbuilder related. Kontakt will work for a while and then it just stops generating sounds - despite still receiving data from Wordbuilder - clicking the keys makes no difference, and after it stops I can't trigger any sounds even if Wordbuilder is removed from the chain.

HTH

Jon

jloving
08-21-2008, 03:19 PM
I should also mention I've had some trouble with Kontakt not producing any sounds, but I'm pretty positive this is not Wordbuilder related. Kontakt will work for a while and then it just stops generating sounds - despite still receiving data from Wordbuilder - clicking the keys makes no difference, and after it stops I can't trigger any sounds even if Wordbuilder is removed from the chain.

ignore that - where I had set up my controllers at the beginning of the track I had CC11 set to "Off" rather than a mid range level. All works as it should now.

points for being stupid?!:D

Jon

mhuang
08-21-2008, 04:45 PM
thanks for the answer Jon!
I will go home tonight and give this a try, and hopefully I can start using sonar 7 64 with PLAY 64 VST and SC! :D

Jacob Falling
08-22-2008, 10:16 AM
The SC/WB workaround is big news, Jon.... You should post this in that forum in its own well-deserved thread.

jloving
08-22-2008, 11:09 AM
The SC/WB workaround is big news, Jon.... You should post this in that forum in its own well-deserved thread.

will do Jacob. It seems there's still a little confusion on getting it all set up - which may very well be due to a poor explanation by me so I'm gonna take a few screenshots, and try to simplify it as much as possible then I'll head over to the SC forum.

Jon

SBallard
08-24-2008, 11:55 PM
Just thought I'd post this link, which might help out someone needing to optimize XP 64 for audio systems. Simple but useful information for some.

XP 64 Optimization for Audio (http://www.audioforums.com/resources/windows-xp-optimization.html)

Spinning poo machine
08-25-2008, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the link. There were a few things in there I've never even heard of before, like disabling write caching.