PDA

View Full Version : best keyboard/midi controller

Alcoor31
07-28-2008, 05:47 AM
Hi all,
What is the best keyboard/midi controller keys weighed?
and what have more preset for logic 8?

persentio
07-28-2008, 06:47 AM
I'd say for now, its the Studiologic VMK 188 Plus.

Alcoor31
07-28-2008, 07:02 AM
I'd say for now, its the Studiologic VMK 188 Plus.

Hi persentio,
i saw this:M-AUDIO Keystation Pro 88...
fatar have preset for logic pro?
Can i assign to fatar modwheel cc11 (for exemple): i want to assign cc11 when i play full string (of Symphonic orchestra in k3) ?

persentio
07-28-2008, 07:12 AM
The Keystation Pro 88 is also a tough contender and is very popular too; probably more than the Studiologic because of its price. The thing that I dont like about the M-Audio keyboards is the hammer action and too little velocity curves.

I'm not sure if Fatar has presets for Logic but it claims it has presets for popular software. You can drop them a contact form to ask if it comes with Logic presets. The M-Audio one however I believe does not have presets for Logic. You can pretty much customize all the controllers to your liking for either keyboard though and should be pretty simple to do.

Alcoor31
07-28-2008, 07:19 AM
The Keystation Pro 88 is also a tough contender and is very popular too; probably more than the Studiologic because of its price. The thing that I dont like about the M-Audio keyboards is the hammer action and too little velocity curves.

I'm not sure if Fatar has presets for Logic but it claims it has presets for popular software. You can drop them a contact form to ask if it comes with Logic presets. The M-Audio one however I believe does not have presets for Logic. You can pretty much customize all the controllers to your liking for either keyboard though and should be pretty simple to do.

thanks
and can i assign cc11 to modwheel of fatar?

persentio
07-28-2008, 07:48 AM
I don't own the Fatar keyboard (weird that Im giving it a better review than my M-Audio one huh?) so I cant say for sure. I CAN however assign CC11 to the ModWheel of my M-Audio keyboard using SONAR's Active Controller Technology. Think it is best if you drop a contact form to Fatar and enquire about the presets issue as well as flexibility in assigning MIDI CC messages to the Pitchbend/Modwheel. However from reading the Manual I don't think you can easily program the Studiologic's ModWheel. (It is actually a single joystick that either controls pitchbend or modulation) If this is an issue for you then go with your initial choice of the Keystation Pro 88. It's also a very very good MIDI keyboard for the price.

Alcoor31
07-28-2008, 07:56 AM
I don't own the Fatar keyboard (weird that Im giving it a better review than my M-Audio one huh?) so I cant say for sure. I CAN however assign CC11 to the ModWheel of my M-Audio keyboard using SONAR's Active Controller Technology. Think it is best if you drop a contact form to Fatar and enquire about the presets issue as well as flexibility in assigning MIDI CC messages to the Pitchbend/Modwheel. However from reading the Manual I don't think you can easily program the Studiologic's ModWheel. (It is actually a single joystick that either controls pitchbend or modulation) If this is an issue for you then go with your initial choice of the Keystation Pro 88. It's also a very very good MIDI keyboard for the price.

ok ,so if i need to set cc11 to string or other instruments of SO in k3 should i set cc11 to a fader of M-Audio not mood wheel? ...

persentio
07-28-2008, 08:03 AM
You can do it both ways. It all depends on whether your third party software allows for custom MIDI CC messages to be sent via programmable controllers. SONAR has ACT, Spectrasonics has MIDI LEARN; for examples. I dont know about Kontakt.

Actually, by default you can pretty much set the faders in either the Fatar or M-Audio keyboard to control any available MIDI CC value you want. Fatar's is done on the keyboard itself, while M-Audio uses the Enigma editor software for quicker and less troublesome fader assignments. I think you can still do it on the keyboard itself though but it might be confusing at first.

For me, if I want to assign a fader to MIDI CC 11 of a particular Strings track, all I have to do is to arm that String's MIDI track for recording, and then move the assigned fader while recording to achieve the desired effect. Once Im done with my performance I stop the engine and the CC11 values are recorded down on that track itself only.

Alcoor31
07-28-2008, 08:41 AM
You can do it both ways. It all depends on whether your third party software allows for custom MIDI CC messages to be sent via programmable controllers. SONAR has ACT, Spectrasonics has MIDI LEARN; for examples. I dont know about Kontakt.

Actually, by default you can pretty much set the faders in either the Fatar or M-Audio keyboard to control any available MIDI CC value you want. Fatar's is done on the keyboard itself, while M-Audio uses the Enigma editor software for quicker and less troublesome fader assignments. I think you can still do it on the keyboard itself though but it might be confusing at first.

For me, if I want to assign a fader to MIDI CC 11 of a particular Strings track, all I have to do is to arm that String's MIDI track for recording, and then move the assigned fader while recording to achieve the desired effect. Once Im done with my performance I stop the engine and the CC11 values are recorded down on that track itself only.

thanx for you support

A.Leung
07-28-2008, 04:16 PM
This months Editors choice for best Keyboard controller in "Future Music Mag" goes to......

ta da (drum roll)...

Novation Remote SL 61.

Good choice. Nice feel, Loads of controls with displays and a sweet auto map feature. Swwwweeeeeeeet.

Keithho
08-02-2008, 07:03 AM

Presentio, i am actually going to go for one.
I just want to ask, is it after touch in it? And what do you mean by "too little velocity curve?"

Any thing els you dont like with m-audio pro key 88

Shahin
08-02-2008, 07:17 AM
It's a bit late for me now because I've already purchased it, but what do you all think about the Axiom 61?

persentio
08-02-2008, 07:23 AM
I don't think there's aftertouch for it. The Prokeys88 has 4 velocity curves (Im assuming the Keystation has the same) which you can choose which type best suits the style of music you play or your preference for the response in volume to how hard you press the keyboard. For me, none of the presets work out near perfect for my preference and I have to compensate by playing 'unnaturally' on the keyboard sometimes.

Also note that there's a difference between the prokeys 88 and Keystation Pro 88. Prokeys is a stage piano (I own it; I bought it 2 years ago instead of the Keystation Pro because I was a newbie then and didn't know exactly how much more I actually needed the MIDI functionality to onboard sounds), and the other is a very versatile master MIDI keyboard.

It's a pretty good buy for the price with class compliant drivers; nothing else I can really complain about. One thing to note though, do try your best to go down to a store to try out the keyboard for yourself first.

Keithho
08-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Anyone can confirm it?
Because there are mixed information on the web.

heres a video where the guy says it "does" have after touch...
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=media.video&ID=73f5be9d312c44c079958520cd9019d3

LuckyStrik3r
09-15-2008, 01:19 PM
Hi,

I also play "real" piano, but for my DAW I have a CME UF8 but IMHO the KAWAI MP8 MKII is the best Keyboard I have played. It realy is a grand in a poket ^^ Unfourtunatly I canīt afford it :D

DeaconA90
09-15-2008, 03:32 PM
What about the Roland RD-700GX? I picked it up a few months ago and have been quite happy with it so far. It replaced my Roland A-90 which is currently in need of a little repair work.