PDA

View Full Version : MACPRO Leopard against Win XP64

Anders Niska
07-29-2008, 09:04 AM
In these days when everyone is talking about 64bit systems Im wondering about this...

In Sweden, almost everyone at music schools, music shops etc uses Mac. In this forum, almost everything is about PC - especially when it comes to 64bit systems.

Since I have been using PCs all my life I havent even thought of buying a Mac but now, when Im about the build/buy a new 64bit machine, I am really considering this option.

Can someone, who has tried both systems, tell me why I should buy a Mac or stick with PC?
It would surely be a lot easier just to get a ready-to-go MacPro with 16gig or even 32gig RAM but indeed much more expensive.
Are the systems that Vatroslav and others have built as good as and as stable as a new MacPro. Is Leopard OS so much better than WinXp64 Pro Sp2?

I'm sure this "war" has been discussed before but I hope someone can say something that makes sense about these things without starting it again...

Regards

Anders

Spinning poo machine
07-29-2008, 06:58 PM
Um, dude, I wouldn't say the Mac Pro route is really that much more expensive. RAM has gotten so cheap these days, especially from vendors like OWC. Same thing with hard drives. Plus then you don't have to go through the dumb hassle of building a system yourself or hunting all over the Internet to find one (and then arguing with the owner of a DAW company over the phone about whether 64 bit is "a viable option" when they call to make sure you know what you're doing). Hardware-wise, the Mac Pro I was going to purchase would only cost me around $700 more than the PC system I'm about to get.

That said, I'm still going with the PC. I haven't really heard of people using Platinum on one Mac as Vatroslav and many others have easily done with one PC. But maybe I just never looked hard enough.

By the way, a guy in Sweden named Robert Kooijman was apparently one of the first people who used XP64 with huge sample libraries (with major success). I've read some of his posts here (http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51529&page=2) and they have been as helpful as Vatroslav's posts.

johng
07-30-2008, 11:33 PM
Perhaps Macs are more expensive in Sweden compared with a PC than they are in the US?

I use a Mac to run everything but I use multiple "farm" PCs (which hold and play back samples into the Mac), and they are fine. There is no secret potion in either one that makes your writing any better.

A.Leung
07-30-2008, 11:36 PM
Mac and PC - the ONLY way to fly. ;)

-Quote borrowed from our resident Logic/Audio Pro consultant, George Leger- (and ONE helluva nice guy too!)

rimskykorsakov
07-31-2008, 03:42 AM
Perhaps Macs are more expensive in Sweden compared with a PC than they are in the US?

Yes, John , Apple products are much more expensive over here in Europe .

This is because of the higher taxes in most of the european countries , but also because Apple ignores the exchange rates between the US Dollar and the EURO :

For example , the naked MacPro 2,8 currently costs 2,799 $ in the U.S. Apple Store. And although the Dollar is so weak ,
you still have to pay 2499 EURO in the german Apple Store for the same machine .
According to todays exchange rate between Dollar and Euro these 2499 EURO are some 3900 $ .

Apple makes good money over here in Europe ...

EASTWEST , for example , always tries to give both the U.S. customers and European customers equal prices.
I really appreciate that !!!

- Gerd

Anders Niska
07-31-2008, 04:26 AM
Thanks for your replies but still noone hasnt answered what I really wanted to know... Maybe I expressed it a bit messy. Is someone using ONE mac for all this? Not one mac with tons of Pc-slaves... :-)

Can Mac be compared to 64bit PCs that a lot of people here have built recently? E.g. run Platinum in one computer.

Regards, Anders

Vincent Bergbahn
08-03-2008, 11:07 PM
Go with the mac.... you'll be so happy.....MAC PRO the ONLY WAY TO GO.

A.Leung
08-03-2008, 11:12 PM
Vincent - the Mac die hard all the way!!!!

"im dead when youve pried my MacPro from my cold dead fingers" or something like that...

Vincent Bergbahn
08-03-2008, 11:33 PM
I'll go with that! I'm die hard mac guy. Not a fan boy, but I do love most apple products.

Daryl
08-04-2008, 04:35 AM
Technology changes over very short periods of time. The argument is not really against PC and Mac, as Macs are PCs these days, but more about OSX and XP.

However, if the question is really about 64bit, then currently it doesn't exist on OSX, so XP wins hands down.

D

Anders Niska
08-04-2008, 12:44 PM
I thought Leopard was a 64bit OS?

Daryl
08-04-2008, 03:18 PM
I thought Leopard was a 64bit OS?
it is, but a 64bit OS is of no use if there are no 64bit applications. There will be, but just not yet.

D