PDA

View Full Version : Mac Pro, Macbook Pro and Logic 8

givemenoughrope
07-29-2008, 07:02 PM
1) I feel like I'm not running Logic 8 as efficiently as I could. The other night I had about 5 versions of Kontakt 2 open with only a couple small multis (only one SO patch), one instance of Reaktor and the Pro-5 on a Mac Pro with 5GB Ram. I used to be able to do that on my P4 with 2 GB Ram running Nuendo without it flinching. Are there any tricks to Logic 8 running as efficiently as possible? I'm also getting the system overload message.

2) How the hell do I network a Mac Pro and a Macbook Pro on Tiger? I've followed every instructional and even had Apple walk me through it on the phone. Couldn't do it.

3) Is using my Mac Pro as a slave and my laptop for sequencing an option?...until I have enough for a VisionDaw or 3?

I'm really feeling like Apple and Logic isn't what it's cracked up to be right now. Cubase/Nuendo and a PC are looking pretty good. Too bad I'm already about $6,000 in on the Apples/Logic.

Nanto Warrior
07-30-2008, 07:14 AM
Sheesh.....are you using your gear properly? From what I hear the Mac Pro smokes even top end PCs, whilst a macbook pro blows my own PC out of the water.

givemenoughrope
07-30-2008, 11:29 AM
I guess I'm not. I'm not nearly as computer savvy as you guys seem to be, obviously.

Yea, I don't know whats up. It certainly seems to have more to do with Logic 8 than anything else. Cubase 4 on either machine allows me to have a load of voices in real time. I haven't ever hit the limit but I bounce a lot, so..

It's certainly a Logic 8 issue.

I guess that my next question ought to be: How do you guys get the most out of Logic 8? What's you workflow/templates?