PDA

View Full Version : How many hard drives? Is two HD:s for samples enough?

tuco
07-30-2008, 12:54 PM
Will it be enough with two hard drives running Play Platinum, Goliath, SD, RA, Symphonic Choirs etc...?
Or should I divide them to more hard drives?

On my Mac Pro I can have 4 drives. Was thinking something like this:
HD1. OSX & programs
HD2. Samples
HD3. Samples
HD4. Win XP

I also have a Rocketraid card and a Quadbox with 4 hard drives.
But I was hoping not to use that since itīs a bit noisy.
Also recording some acoustic stuff so thatīs another reason not to use it.
Any tips/suggestions/recommendations?

A.Leung
07-30-2008, 01:14 PM
Personally with all that you have I would try and spread Platinum amongst AT LEAST 4 drives then spread the others out evenly over those same 4 drives unless you could spring for 5-6 drives for optimum level performance.

Jarrek2002
07-30-2008, 08:13 PM
How do you sqeeze more drives in a Mac Pro?

External drives? Then you're dealing with slower streaming, right?

johng
07-30-2008, 10:28 PM
I have samples spread over, including farm machines, 11 drives. I am writing heavy orchestra + synth sample arrangements and I don't like to bounce stuff. I think Allan is right to urge more drives.

Pietro
07-31-2008, 04:16 AM
Yup, I have 5 drives and still feel I could use another one or two (but I only have one sataII slot left). I'm thinking about a Velociraptor now.

- Piotr

johng
07-31-2008, 11:56 AM
External drives work ok for me for sample streaming if they are firewire 400 or better. I used to stream my entire giga library off one Western Digital 7,200 RPM drive via Firewire 400 and it worked just fine. But then, I don't put extreme demands on Giga because I like the East West libraries much better.

It is still true that internal drives are better (assuming a good computer).

Spinning poo machine
08-01-2008, 02:55 PM
How do you sqeeze more drives in a Mac Pro?

External drives? Then you're dealing with slower streaming, right?

Jarrek2002, apparently you can add four more SATA II internal drives (see here (http://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=158)). As for external drives, eSATA is pretty much the same speed as SATA II (which is fast), but is sort of a pain to use on Mac Pros. Firewire 800 is where you need to go if eSATA isn't an option, although it's a little bit slower than eSATA/SATA II.

A.Leung
08-01-2008, 03:35 PM
If you write Maxupgrades, Syed at email address: subscribe@maxupgrades.com he will configure the ideal set-up for you. With additional harware purchased I was able to squeeze 4 terabytes in one mac pro. Of course with all the hardware and Velociraptor drives it aint cheap.

He configured a killer system for us and the parts are NOT listed on his web site so inquiring DIRECT is best.

tuco
08-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the info. Appreciate it!
Have it spread on 4 drives now.
Hopefully that will work fine.