PDA

View Full Version : ADAT routing slave to host

Javee
07-30-2008, 05:18 PM
All right, i just built my first slave today. I assumed that i could use an old sound card i have kicking around. It is an Audigy 2 Platinum. It has 1 ADAT I/O. I have the ADAT cable hooked up from slave into host. When i select routing properties, there is nothing called ADAT in the options for the Audigy 2, however, there is 8 channels of something called FX 1 L/R - FX4 L/R. I can only assume that this is the ADAT. When i select it, i get nothing coming through my main mix. Is there a step i am missing? Has anyone used an Audigy 2 for this purpose before? Seeing that the card has the physical connections, one would think it should work? Any advice please!

-Mitch

Javee
07-30-2008, 08:07 PM
bump

Jarrek2002
07-30-2008, 09:11 PM
I remember reading somewhere that the Audigy card has a low-grade dsp chip. Perhaps that's what you're accessing there.

Javee
07-31-2008, 07:48 AM
i have success with my onboard SoundMAX soundcard using it's spdif out to my host. So i suppose the ADAT on my audigy 2 drive bay either needs to be activated somehow, or for some odd reason is broken. The other functions on the front drive bay, such as midi, analog in/out all function - the coaxial spdif and the ADAT spdif do not work.

Javee
07-31-2008, 10:23 AM
Captains Log
Stardate 62047.2

so i gave up... ordered another emu card... at the very least, i've had a great conversation with myself :P

paulwr
07-31-2008, 10:43 AM
Captains Log
Stardate 62047.2

so i gave up... ordered another emu card... at the very least, i've had a great conversation with myself :P

Best laugh I've had today so far................. anyway, the new card should do you well, as long as you don't intend on using Gigastudio, since last I heard the emu cards don't handle that.

-Paul

A.Leung
07-31-2008, 12:11 PM
Medical log 6203.7. Leanard McCoy here. The Captains been exhibiting signs of mental fatigue. (talking to himself, etc) I'm requiring him to come in for a complete physical (at least until his new sound card' arrives).

GtrJazz
07-31-2008, 12:36 PM
How many slaves can I hook up to my main daw which has the E-mu1212m card?

Javee
07-31-2008, 01:35 PM
Lol!

So, i had no idea emu cards didn't work with gigastudio? That means i can't pickup any VSL instruments? :(

paulwr
07-31-2008, 01:41 PM
How many slaves can I hook up to my main daw which has the E-mu1212m card?

You'll have the ability to receive 4 stereo busses................ so the max is 4 slaves if you settle for just 1 stereo buss per slave. Now, that is getting a little clever and running your digital signal from one slave to the next slave to the next slave and to the DAW finally, etc.....

You'd need to get into the mixing section of the emu cards and make selections that allow incoming digital signal to get passed along. I've never tried a series that long. I sometimes route a stand alone version of Kontakt out of my DAW, into one slave, and then back into the DAW on ch 7/8 so that it goes into my sequencer like I want. It starts to sound a little complicated, but actually not too bad. Works like a charm. If you take the time to learn the bussing possibilities............... you can actually save some $ not having to get more hardware somtimes.

-Paul

GtrJazz
07-31-2008, 02:11 PM
Thanks Paul,

So to keep it simple just having one slave connected to my main daw into the E-mu1212m would work fine?

Javee
07-31-2008, 04:19 PM
RME offers some cards that have up to 4 ADAT inputs. You could have 4 slaves running 4 channels of audio. However, depending on what you are doing, you may not need 4 channels of mixability (like that word? i did too)

-Mitch

GtrJazz
07-31-2008, 04:49 PM
I guess the E-mu will be fine for now. If I ever need a 3rd computer I'll just buy a RME card for that and make that my main daw. Or will this not work?

paulwr
07-31-2008, 04:50 PM
Thanks Paul,

So to keep it simple just having one slave connected to my main daw into the E-mu1212m would work fine?

Yes, and that emu 1212m is extremely cost effective. I use RME, but they cost WAY more. You will be fine and the sound quality stays digital the whole way into your daw/sequencer, no no worries.

-Paul