PDA

View Full Version : upgrading to Platinum on a new drive...?

Andrew Sigler
08-03-2008, 09:04 AM
Hey Folks,

I'm planning to get a new drive for Platinum, but since it's an upgrade, I won't be able to use Gold anymore. I'm curious about how to approach this change given that I'm installing the upgrade on a fresh new drive and all my projects are routed through the Gold version which is on my old sample drive. Does that make sense? If I open an old project, do I just reopen Kontakt 2 (or use PLAY) and search for the patches on the new Platinum drive? I'm sure it's no big deal, but I'm a bit nervous, so I was wondering if you can give me an idea of how to approach the install?

-Andy

ps - also, do I just remove the old Gold patches from my old sample drive when Platinum is installed?

A.Leung
08-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Hmmm. I would [think] that you would need to keep the old patches if you wanted to open a K2 version of your older songs. I would do that JUST IN CASE and... for reference if something went wrong.

PLAY is too new to me to know if simply redirecting a browser in PLAY would relocate samples. I believe you can just POINT to a library and have PLAY include it as an option. (assuming they are PLAY encoded)

If all the patches are NAMED the same and transposed the SAME from K2 to Platinum a manual search can be done but that might take hrs depending on how big the project is.

[now that I recall I actually think Doug adressed this issue in some post a long time ago - could be wrong though] sorry I'm not more helpful...

Andrew Sigler
08-04-2008, 09:29 AM
I don't think that I get to keep using the old patches given that it's an upgrade. Having said that, I suppose that I can write down the patches for a given project and just locate them in Platinum...any admin types have any ideas? I'm fine with keeping K2 in the mix for older projects, I just want to plan ahead to avoid as many headaches as possible.

-Andy