PDA

View Full Version : New motherboard and CPU

prosthotoothist
08-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Hi,

I have a question regarding a new motherboard for my 2 1/2 year computer. I have a ASUS P5LD2 Deluxe board which has a Pentium D 3.2 GHz processor. This board does not support processors beyond Pentium D, so I can't go to 64 bit processing without changing the board and processor. Without spending a lot of money, what would be the best choice of a new board and a new processor. This is a multi-purpose machine, so it is not just for audio. I have had good luck with the ASUS board, so I would be open to using one of their boards again. I use Sonar 7, so I would very much like to upgrade to 64 bit processing since I will be getting the new PLAY EWQLSO Gold software soon (I hope).

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Keithho
08-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Hi.

I am too, an ASUS-user for a long time, and i just got a new one computer.
What i can recommend you, per today, is the Gigabyte P45-DQ6 with a Quad or Dual Core (depends on your budget).

My philosophy on Mobo are always get the mid-range-best on:
1. GBs P45 accepts up to 16GB DDR2 ram
2. Support up to PC 10000 DDR2 (X48 dont).
3. DDR2 is cheaper but delivers a "overlaping bandwide" with DDR3.
4. It is a smart choice for future oppgrades:
An 8GB sett kost about 2000 NOK (Corsair Dominator 2x4GB sett DDR2 8500), or 16GB from G.Skill (4x4GB) for 6000NOK (740EUR). (Norwegian Krones)

Hope it Helps!
Keith

pinkster
08-05-2008, 12:15 PM
Hi
the next generation of Intel-leading motherboard/processor technology should really be a nice leap for any PC-composer with support of many important issues (according to the short rumours/stories heard). That's at least a possibility worth waiting if you are not in a hurry.
Before that (end of this year) you could think of choosing at least Quad Processor and any of the newer chipsets suitable for your wallet.

PS. How come my choice has also been Asus for now on as for you guys.

Greetings

GtrJazz
08-05-2008, 02:53 PM
I thought intel should release their first nahalem chip this Oct.

pinkster
08-06-2008, 08:45 AM
I thought intel should release their first nahalem chip this Oct.

Yes, something like that. Let's see how precise the calendar is for them, though it has been until now much better than with AMD.
I'm really looking forward as a PC user to see the specs and efficiency when they come out. Should be a nice leap forward.
Many improvements anyway.