PDA

View Full Version : The CCC in just a notebook

LMG
08-03-2008, 10:57 PM
I was thinking of buying a notebook to run the Comple Composer's Collection. An option is tu buy one with the following components:

PROCESSOR: Intel® Core™2 Duo T5750 (2.00GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
HDD: SATA of 160GB (5400RPM), plus 2 external drives 160 gb (7200RPM)
MEMORY: 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
SOUND CARD: M-Audio Fast Track Pro (external)

Will I have many problems running big scores (full orchestra) with CCC in this machine ???

Thank you!!!

Spinning poo machine
08-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Why not just get a desktop, quad core processor (like Q9450), 8GB of RAM, and 2 additional internal SATA II drives? Besides, internal drives are faster than external (and cheaper, too), and desktops basically come with one 7200 RPM SATA II drive instead of the more sluggish 5400 RPM internal drive. And laptops are just expensive for their shabbier performance--not really worth the price.

I have the Complete Composers Collection, but haven't had a system to load it up with yet, so I can't really give you a full fledged opinion on whether you can do it or not with those specifications. Maybe if you distribute the workload around among the hard drives well, who knows, maybe you can get something to happen. I HIGHLY doubt you'll be using all 7 instrument bundles on one song, anyway, so that'll help some. But if it doesn't work, you could always do the old freeze and bounce techniques.

However, with a laptop and a 32 bit operating system (why Vista?)--the Complete Composers Collecton just sounds kind of tough to me with those specs.

Djoule
08-06-2008, 05:09 PM
I run CCC with my Toshiba laptop : 1.7 GHz single core, 2GB of RAM, 80 GB hard drive
I just bought an external 500 GB Lacie hard drive and everything works fine.

I can run up to 12 instances (not full) then I have to freeze or to export to audio :p

So I think what you decribe can run the CCC ;)

LMG
08-07-2008, 12:43 PM
I run CCC with my Toshiba laptop : 1.7 GHz single core, 2GB of RAM, 80 GB hard drive
I just bought an external 500 GB Lacie hard drive and everything works fine.

I can run up to 12 instances (not full) then I have to freeze or to export to audio :p

So I think what you decribe can run the CCC ;)

When you say "instances", you mean tracks, right?

Djoule
08-07-2008, 03:03 PM
yes I can run 12 vst tracks in Cubase studio with 4 instruments/articulations each (among the 8 available in a Kompakt window);
But I can run more than 12 with only one instrument per kompakt window, it just depends on the song.
Next year I'll uprgade my system in order to run the full orchestra because mine easilly reaches its limitations :p
But for the moment I just work on my old rock MIDI stuff with less instruments than in my new compositions :D
I try some orchestral stuff but it doesn't sound that good, I need to learn how to use EW products, as I'm totally a newbie !