PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Computer Build for Platinum+

noldar12
08-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Well, Platinum Plus has arrived, and I am now in need of building a computer to run it - system(s) to be built by ADK - can't do a BYO, and am looking for advice.

Within my budget constraints, I am considering two main options:

1) Standard mini-tower configuration, 8 gigs ram, Vista 64, quad core, probably four drives for samples as follows: 3 for EWQLSO Plat Plus - brass and percussion would share a drive, and one for non-EW libraries.

I would consider stretching this option to a full tower with 5 sample drives, but that would be really pushing things (may be the better long-term choice?).

2) 2 smaller shuttles, each with 4 gigs ram, 64 bit o/s (or 32 bit?), probably dual-core, two sample drives

Note that I also have an older Dell Athlon dual core 3600+ that is currently not being used that could be added if it would run one of the EW Plat+ libraries well (if upgraded it would only have one sample drive, and 2 gigs ram).

Your thoughts and comments would be most appreciated.

Jim

Spinning poo machine
08-07-2008, 03:22 PM
The first option looks better and simpler to me, but I'm just wondering why you're going with Vista. That amount of RAM is verifiably good for this type of thing and is what several 64 bit users are using on this forum, including me soon. I guess the hard drives look good, but I can't give a knowledgeable opinion about splitting one drive with brass and percussion.

Oh, and by the way, you may want to check the price that Sonica offers for the same system--they gave me an offer significantly less than ADK for mine.

noldar12
08-07-2008, 06:04 PM
Thanks for your reply.

I am going with Vista primarily because it is likely to see further improvement while XP 64 is a legacy o/s at this point.

I will check some configurations with Sonica.