PDA

View Full Version : MIDI controller recommendation, keyboard

Keithho
08-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Hey.

I am looking really hard at the M-audio keystation pro 88.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/KeystationPro88-main.html

Do you guys recommend something els? Need good answer very soon. :D

THANKS!

pinkster
08-09-2008, 12:09 PM
Dear mate,

why are you still searching for somethings else, since this one....

includes Ableton Live Lite music production software, so you can make music right away ;)

Jarrek2002
08-09-2008, 02:04 PM
I own that one.

I do NOT recommend it. It's hammer-action is stiff and hard to work with, and the included software, that is supposed to store your settings for all those fancy buttons and controllers, is buggy and often resets itself, losing all your settings.

I am currently looking for a replacement, maybe a yamaha.

Vincent Bergbahn
08-09-2008, 02:49 PM
Yamaha p series

pinkster
08-10-2008, 03:58 AM
CME VX-8 has been in my mind.

Does anybody have any experience about that one?

Keithho
08-10-2008, 04:34 AM
Why VX? Do you need all those "motorised" faders? I know its fancy on day one, till the day those fader starts to malfunction.... lol... UF8 maybe?

pinkster
08-10-2008, 04:48 AM
Well, thanx Keitho

That thing is exactly upto oneself. What I like doesn't have to be good for anybody else. Maybe I like fancy and itchy-glitchy things :) :p :D
Until somebody now or then enlightens me about this attempting machine I really won't turn into any direction... and am open to good suggestions

Keithho
08-10-2008, 04:56 AM
I was looking at it too, but i really dont need those faders, and there are several other points:
1. CMEs MIDI controller have aftertouch and breathing control. Things i dont need (it simply wont work!) with QL-plays libraries.
2. Cost, Cost and Cost.
3. Quality. Search in youtube, and you will find some complains about "plastic" keys that make noises.

I understand that M-audio have its down side too, but the price matters alot.

persentio
08-10-2008, 06:18 AM
M-Audio's Keystation Pro 88 is by far the best value.

Fatar's Studiologic series are somewhat famous for their realistic grand hammer action. The new VMK models also boast faders.

Another option you may want to try out is the Yamaha KX8. It's selling point is its Arpeggiator phase factory and DAW integration. I understand it's only just got into some stores.

noldar12
08-12-2008, 10:10 AM
+1 for Studiologic.

Aetius33
08-18-2008, 03:55 PM
I was using an old Alesis but now I'm in need of a new Midi keyboard. I want the KX8 but is that too expensive for a controller that has no inherant sounds within the keyboard itself?. I'd mainly use it for my DAW anyway and it would most likely never leave my office.

I'm thinking of getting it within a couple weeks. Its hard to find any reviews but I think they are selling quite fast from what I can see.

LTMUSIC
08-19-2008, 10:48 AM
STAY AWAY FROM CME hammer-action KEYBOARDS(vx8-uf8-uf80)
Although they have nice piano-like feeling keys they have a MAJOR PROBLEM.
If you hold down the F key and press F# you will hear a cracking sound.This is a problem because it's happening to almost any key.The big problem is that CME, although they know the problem they continue to sell these keyboards.See the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbU36Jbs-Rs
BUT :If you want a CME buy the UF80
VX8 IS A WASTE OF MONEY
Does anyone have any experience from a DOEPFER LM 4?

Enrique
08-19-2008, 11:13 AM
I have the UF-80 and yes it does make a horrible click sound when a white key is pressed and an adjacent black key is struck -- it feels like the mechanism hits the white key from underneath -- very very annoying. At first I liked the feel of the UF-80 but now, it just plain hurts, the action is a bit rigid and while you can adjust the velocity curve, it still leaves the fact that you have to press down fairly hard for this keyboard. Plus CME's customer service is AWFUL. I mean seriously bad (might have something to do with them being located in China, but who knows)

I'm going to save up for a nice Yamaha S90 or something similiar -- I should have taken the advice I'm about to give, before I purchased the CME -- go to your local store and try them out, and if you really really want the closest to true piano, be prepared to cough up a bit more $$. I also own a Korg-SP100 and the feel of that one is much better. I bought it for $1000 around 8 years ago, and the CME I bought this past November for ~$650 because I wanted something with knobs faders and a mod/pitch wheel... Oh and the paint on it will come off from the oils on your hand .. i rest my wrist and thumbs right below the sliders and then i started noticing the paint smearing and coming right off! Incroyable!

pinkster
08-19-2008, 11:44 AM
Thanks LTMusik, thanks Enrique, and every other,

You solved my pondering issue at least off from CME. It's pitty still ( cry and sigh) when they look so nice . But I know, I know, it really has very little to do in the long run. Thanks again; the search goes on....

btw. Can anyone suggest any a workstation or synth for controlling matters ?

LTMUSIC
08-19-2008, 12:05 PM
As i know the SL 61 by NOVATION is a nice controler for vst synths but it is not a hammer action keyboard.

Does anyone have any experience from a DOEPFER LM 4?

pinkster
08-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Thanks LT

I like novation ways too, but in this matter should have added for 88 keys.

Do you mean the LMK 4+? or which one is the LM 4?

Enrique
08-19-2008, 12:51 PM
btw. Can anyone suggest any a workstation or synth for controlling matters ?

Something that works GREAT and is fairly cheap is a U-Control UC-33, it's no keyboard but it's a wonderful little add-on --

another problem I ran into with the CME-UF80, is that sometimes the sliders will leave some CC spikes, whether I use them or not, which really pisses me off since I mostly got that keyboard to have both a "piano feel" and be able to use the sliders efficiently. So whenever I record something on the UF-80, I have to clean up the CC information -- I don't have to do that with the UC-33.

U-Control UC-33 -- 9 sliders, 21 knobs, easy to customize etc. I use it mostly for synths.

pinkster
08-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Thanks Enrique

How long have you been using it (UC-33)? Have you had any problems, ?

Enrique
08-19-2008, 01:13 PM
Hey Pinkster, I've been using it for about 2 years now with no problems at all. The sliders are super smooth and so are the knobs, and they don't have that annoying tug to the center position.

Keithho
08-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Jesus guys..... Is there no good MIDI controller out there?
I halted my buy for a Maudio keystation pro 88, after i read terrible reviews about it...

I am now focusing on a Fatar VMK 188....

I dont want to screw up this buy... it is a one time, life decision! :D
well.... i just dont want 5 more other different controllers in my room....

pinkster
08-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Hey Pinkster, I've been using it for about 2 years now with no problems at all. The sliders are super smooth and so are the knobs, and they don't have that annoying tug to the center position.
Sounds promising to me. That one is surely worth checking. The only problem is, I most propably need to get an 88 keyboard too. Maybe then both.

LTMUSIC
08-20-2008, 08:05 AM
YES pinkster. i mean the DOEPFER LMK4+.
I have heard good thinks about this but i can not confirm it.

So if anyone knows something about this..........

Keithho
09-02-2008, 08:34 AM
I just bought Studiologic FATAR VMK - 188 plus. with GRAND TOUCH (r) <--- it suppose to feel like a sexy piano... :D

First impression:
Keys: feels "soft" and "stringy", compare to a Original Steinway who is "Hard and light.", It makes sound... kloack kloack sounds....
Sensitivity: It feels little to sensitive.. my taste...
Midi: from USB cabel, installing went smooth in VISTA 64bits..
more will come...