PDA

View Full Version : MONTHLY PRIZE FOR THE BEST USER DEMO

Doug Rogers
04-18-2005, 11:33 AM
EASTWEST/SOUNDSONLINE will reward the creator of the BEST USER DEMO per month with an EASTWEST or QUANTUM LEAP product of your choice up to $1000 (MSRP)!!

Rules (amended June, 2005) -

* Entries should be placed in the DEMOS and MIDIFILES section of this forum.

* If you entered a demo in a previous month, you cannot enter it again.

* You may enter as many compositions as you wish in the same contest.

* In order to vote, you must have been a forum member for two months OR you entered a demo in the current contest.

* You cannot vote for yourself.

* One vote per forum member.

* Only put the name of the demo and composer in the voting thread - no comments.

* Forum members will judge the contest at the end of each month to decide the winner.

* We reserve the right to disqualify any entry if there is evidence of voting irregularities.

* The contest will close at the end of each month and the winner will be announced after 7 more days of voting.

* Please make sure the demo includes only sounds from libraries distributed by EASTWEST, with an emphasis on EASTWEST/QUANTUM LEAP virtual instruments.

* Compositions that are subject to third party copyright, or compositions that include sounds from non EASTWEST distributed products are not eligible.

* Real vocals may be included provided vocalists are credited, and the vocals are not included in any sample library or virtual instrument, and EASTWEST/SOUNDSONLINE has permission from the vocalists to use the demo for promotional purposes.

* The winner consents to EASTWEST/SOUNDSONLINE using the demo in return for the free product for promotional purposes.

Good luck!

Laurent JUILLET
04-18-2005, 11:38 AM
I think NeilFactory should do this challenge!!

ChrisE
04-18-2005, 12:44 PM
Wow, a marvelous idea

I expect this will attract the attention of many composers :)

Liam
04-18-2005, 12:49 PM
Wow! That is very cool! I have a question, you said only sounds from EWQL libs are aloud. Would you except it if the enitre piece was EWQL except for a very short one note effect pad from Atmosphere just at the very begining?

Thanks,

Liam

Doug Rogers
04-18-2005, 02:03 PM
with or without real voices?

This is now clarified in the rules.

- Doug

Laurent JUILLET
04-18-2005, 02:09 PM
* Real vocals may be included provided vocalists are credited, the vocals are not included in any sample library or virtual instrument, and EASTWEST/SOUNDSONLINE has permission from the vocalists to use the demo for promotional purposes.

I think real vocals or real instruments could be better. What do you think about that?

wayne_rowley
04-18-2005, 02:14 PM
Fantastic idea! With so many great composers though it is going to be tough!! I have one question though.

Is it permissable to attach entries to the forum as zipped MP3 files?

I ask because I am having problems with my ISP in regards to web space and bandwidth quotas. I linked my first demo to this site a couple of weeks ago and my ISP took my website down within 3 days for exceeding the download bandwith!

I know the forum supports attachments, but I am not sure what the size limit is.

Failing that, can anyone recommend a server/site where I can host my files, preferably for free?

Thanks,
Wayne

Kayamb
04-18-2005, 08:08 PM
I think this is a very good idea, and will probably increase the interest of users for this forum, which is a good thing. Though it might be quite difficult to establish a marking system...

There is especially one rule that won't be easy to apply:
* Forum members will judge the contest at the end of each month to decide the winner.

Indeed how to guarantee all the voters have listened all the compositions? Also, compositions delivered in late May might have less chances that the ones delivered in early May because less people might have listened to it...

Maybe a "committee" from EastWest themselves might be more able to assess as they know the samples by heart and might appreciate better the performance.

Another question: what does the "best" composition means? Is it the best appreciated (subjectively or emotionally speaking) or the best technical realisation? Well, for example Silver SO's user might be disadvantaged against platinium's and gold's with respect of sound quality.

I might try to compete, just for fun as I am only a beginner (well, who knows... ;) ).

All these comments above were just a few thoughts...

I am looking forward to hearing all this new music on the forum. Vive la musique!

Cheers!

deathadder79
04-18-2005, 08:28 PM
* Please make sure the demo includes only sounds from libraries distributed by EASTWEST, with an emphasis on EASTWEST/QUANTUM LEAP virtual instruments.

Just to clarify, does processing count? Third party effects/reverbs/etc. (not sound libraries), hardware processing, and so on...?

Doug Rogers
04-19-2005, 09:21 AM
Just to clarify, does processing count? Third party effects/reverbs/etc. (not sound libraries), hardware processing, and so on...?

Yes, you can use processing.

- Doug

lgrohn
04-19-2005, 09:28 AM
Most of the pieces on "demos and midifiles" here are not compositions
but "only" demos. Typically a kind of fragments of a "real" hypothetical
pieces. The "rules" for the monthly prize use both the words composition and demo.
If we have demos, the "competition" is a kind of idea and orchestration
competition. If we have compositions the rules of evaluation
should be quite different. Should both forms qualify? If yes
we will have too different tacit standards and it is not fair.

Lauri Gröhn

DPK
04-19-2005, 10:45 AM
Just a quick question. How do we know what the "official" entries are. Should it just say it in the topic title?

dk

banquo
04-19-2005, 01:48 PM
I imagine that there'll be come kind of stickied thread ["Monthly Competition"] only open for, say, 2 days near the final week of the month to post entries, then closed again for the final week so that people can listen and vote, and then by 6 o clock on the last day the winner would be clear.

This is such a fantastic idea; i can't believe that nowhere else does it. The Garritan Forum comes close with a prise for every 5,000th poster, but this is really something.

Just to clarify:

1] Is in the public domain allowed, i.e. Eine Kleine Nacktmusik?

2] Does the winner get any bit of the relevant software as long as it costs less that 1000, or is our account accredited with 1000?

Guys, this is a m a z i n g. I can't think of a better way to encourage creativity.

Regards, Rob.

Liam
04-19-2005, 09:40 PM
I don't think we should over analize what "criteria" the demos will be judged on. It may make it much easier for everyone involved if it is just soley based on a simple, "I like that piece" or "I don't like that piece" then vote or don't vote. If we try to break it down to technical accomplishment, theory, harmonic content, and so on it will take the fun out it!! You know as soon as you listen if you like it or not, don't kill it with details!! ;)

Liam

lgrohn
04-19-2005, 09:56 PM
I don't think we should over analize what "criteria" the demos will be judged on. It may make it much easier for everyone involved if it is just soley based on a simple, "I like that piece" or "I don't like that piece" then vote or don't vote. If we try to break it down to technical accomplishment, theory, harmonic content, and so on it will take the fun out it!! ... And what you will get is a lot of cliches, John William emulations, allusions, unoriginal ideas as usual. Just look at the e.g. the GPO competition. And what most people on these forums will be voting are cliches, John William emulations, allusions, unoriginal ideas as usual... LG
PS. I will accept that, but what a pity.

ToddK
04-20-2005, 12:23 AM
... And what you will get is a lot of cliches, John William emulations, allusions, unoriginal ideas as usual. Just look at the e.g. the GPO competition. And what most people on these forums will be voting are cliches, John William emulations, allusions, unoriginal ideas as usual... LG

So you've decided what everybody will vote for?

You have a very negative attitude. Are you sure you're a musician?

Remember, this is supposed to be fun. If you dont like JW cliche's, then
dont listen. Problem solved.

Write something "original" and post it. Put your money where your mouth is.
Dont just sit back and complain. Blow us away with something.
TK

wayne_rowley
04-20-2005, 12:25 AM
Unless the only people who can vote are professors of music theory then how can the competition be judged on such merits? Even then the definition of what is 'good' and what is 'bad' is open to interpretation. Best that it be kept at 'I like it/don't like it' - much simpler all around. :D

As far as cliches/John Williams emulations go I agree there will be quite a few of them - and why not - John Williams is an accomplished composer who has written some very nice music (prefer James Horner/Jerry Goldsmith myself though ;) ). But don't forget, this is not a competion for EWQLSO owners only... there will be compositions using RA, Colossus, Stromdrum etc.... so there will be variety!

Take care,
Wayne

G.Jouan
04-20-2005, 05:02 AM
To Igrohn
I probably missed something here… Everybody is doing music… Why talking about cliche, emulations, allusions, unoriginal ideas… Is John Williams a lower composer because he started taking influence from many XIX XX composers before finding his own style? Don’t you expect learning from other composers? What kind of vision about music is yours? Staying at home listening to the birds and finding how to compose music alone? You can of course but in that case it is your choice and it isn’t better as an other musician choice. A little humility never killed anyone.

pappagheno
04-20-2005, 05:03 AM
just to back to the topic.. a little question ..
is real instrument can be used.. I mean .. if there is a little piece of ..real guitar.. (electric..)
is ok or not ..

just confused ..

cheers

DPK
04-20-2005, 05:11 AM
... And what you will get is a lot of cliches, John William emulations, allusions, unoriginal ideas as usual. Just look at the e.g. the GPO competition. And what most people on these forums will be voting are cliches, John William emulations, allusions, unoriginal ideas as usual... LG

Maybe before putting down other peoples demos for their “unoriginality”, you could give us an example of one of your original compositions. This way, we can all use it a guideline for originality. :rolleyes:

dk

steveb
04-20-2005, 05:11 AM
The question re: using real instruments...

My understanding is no, you can't use real instruments - Doug said that only their library sounds can be used in case they want to use your demo for promotional purposes. Inclusion of real instruments would be likely to confuse potential customers...

ToddK
04-20-2005, 10:15 AM
Doug says we can use real voices, so i take that as saying, we can use
real instruments.
I plan to play the guitar on my demo.
TK

steveb
04-20-2005, 10:25 AM
Really? Where? He says "real vocals", which doesn't include guitars... :confused:

Liam
04-20-2005, 09:18 PM
And what most people on these forums will be voting are cliches, John William emulations, allusions, unoriginal ideas as usual... LG

Wow I wasn't expecting that! I think it's pretty unfair to say that every person on the forum would only vote for cliches!!! So are you saying that no one here has any musical taste or value, and are incapable of voting properly?!?! That is of course ridiculous, and I'm sure that's why we haven't seen a response back yet. So having said that...lets have fun with it, and not lose sight of the fact this will be an opportunity for alot if us to be heard, and we should enjoy it

Liam

Kayamb
04-20-2005, 09:53 PM
I agree with most of the people here. We don't forget most of us are amateur passionate musicians/composers. The main goal of this contest must be to stimulate our motivation and creativity. Whoever wins, all the contestants will have worked hard and hopefully improved their skills.

A subjective voting system sounds good to me. For instance, each of us may vote for up to 3 different compositions (as it's sometimes hard to say this one is better than that one...), giving one point to each of these 3. The one that gets more points in the end wins...

Good luck to all contestants.

Blazinghammer
04-20-2005, 11:25 PM
Doug says we can use real voices, so i take that as saying, we can use
real instruments.
I plan to play the guitar on my demo.
TK

No, he explicitly stated that the use of any live instruments on the demo could mislead potential buyers into thinking that instrument is available in the sample set. He said you may sing on the demo; the rest must be EW/QL samples.

HTH,

Veron
04-21-2005, 12:46 AM
This is fabulous ! :)
And its per-month! :eek:

ToddK
04-21-2005, 01:09 AM
No, he explicitly stated that the use of any live instruments on the demo could mislead potential buyers into thinking that instrument is available in the sample set. He said you may sing on the demo; the rest must be EW/QL samples.

HTH,

Oh well, that knocks me out of it. :(
Too bad,, i had a doozy... ;)
TK

MakeANote
04-21-2005, 04:39 PM
EASTWEST/SOUNDSONLINE will reward the creator of the BEST USER DEMO per month with an EASTWEST or QUANTUM LEAP product of your choice up to $1000 (MSRP)!!

Rules -

* Entries should be placed in the DEMOS and MIDIFILES section of this forum.

Doug, will there be a way to identify pieces only for the particular month? Some of the pieces off the old Northern Sounds site were referred to months after their initial posting. Will they be placed in a sticky (as suggested by one member on the first page of this thread) or dated? The pages can become a little unruly, particularly if some new songs are moved to the second (or third pages) because of increased activity.

It is an incredibly generous and innovative idea. I know (personally) that good demos play an integral part in the purchase of material (much moreso than a verbal or literary recommendation), so well done.

Ian

Doug Rogers
04-21-2005, 07:33 PM
I've set up a thread for the first contest here -

http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/showthread.php?p=1488#post1488

lil-man
04-27-2005, 09:38 AM
I'm new to the group and would like to know how to upload my MP3s. I tried the attachment function, but got an invalid extension message. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Dark Realms
04-27-2005, 01:28 PM
Hi there, I'm new here too!

Try looking at this from this forum:

http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/showthread.php?t=182

I asked the same question and what you need to do is to find a mp3 hosting site.

I've been looking for a free mp3 host myself and have found one. It's at funender.com and it's very easy to set up. They give you 15Mb of space for free and if you need more you have to pay a bit. It's ok though to get you started. Here's the link:

http://www.funender.com/phpBB2/affi...p?myaffid=14485

When you get there, click on funender.com MP3 music hosting and it will give you the packages available. Click on register near the top to set up your account.

People who visit your site can either download or stream music from the site without joining anything! Not bad at all.

Hope this helps you!

Mazhar.

lil-man
04-27-2005, 02:37 PM
Thanks, I'll check it out! Since I posted this morning, I have found a couple of options. Thanks!

Dark Realms
04-28-2005, 04:58 AM
By the way Doug,

When is the closing date for entries to your User Demo contest for April/May?

Just so we all know.

Thanks.

Mazhar.

lil-man
04-28-2005, 05:33 AM
Hey Doug...Are we allowed to enter more than one composition per month? I have another one in the works...Just curious. It wasn't mentioned in the rules...just want to clarify.

Liam
04-28-2005, 10:51 PM
Hey Doug...Are we allowed to enter more than one composition per month? I have another one in the works...Just curious. It wasn't mentioned in the rules...just want to clarify.

I'd like to know that too, it seems that some are already posting multiple demos, is that allowed?

Liam

DPK
04-29-2005, 02:04 AM
I'd like to know that too, it seems that some are already posting multiple demos, is that allowed?

Liam

Me too. :)

dk

lil-man
04-29-2005, 05:02 AM
I'm just going to go for it. I've been inspired the past couple of days, so... :p

Brian Wardell
04-30-2005, 08:53 AM
Just to clarify, can you re-enter the same demo after having submitted it (submitting it in May, and June for instance) in a contest? I would guess that if you win, that demo is out, but if you were a losing demo, but you felt it was solid, but up against really tough competition that particular month, could it be resubmitted?

drumcrazy
05-01-2005, 08:21 AM
Solo Violin and oboe with strings and Real Guitar
English moorland is the visuals i get
What do you think
John

Doug Rogers
05-01-2005, 09:18 AM
By the way Doug,

When is the closing date for entries to your User Demo contest for April/May?

Just so we all know.

Thanks.

Mazhar.

The current contest closes May 31, 2005.

- Doug

Doug Rogers
05-01-2005, 09:20 AM

Yes, you can enter as many demos as you like.

- Doug

Doug Rogers
05-01-2005, 09:21 AM
Just to clarify, can you re-enter the same demo after having submitted it (submitting it in May, and June for instance) in a contest? I would guess that if you win, that demo is out, but if you were a losing demo, but you felt it was solid, but up against really tough competition that particular month, could it be resubmitted?

No, we amended this rule in June. To keep it interesting you are not allowed to submit an entry more than once.

- Doug

tango9jeff
05-01-2005, 10:54 AM
Question, If we scored a movie trailer could we post that as our sample? It only contains Dialog and East west products in it.

Doug Rogers
05-02-2005, 10:46 AM
Question, If we scored a movie trailer could we post that as our sample? It only contains Dialog and East west products in it.

Please don't include any dialog. I'm sure the dialog is owned by someone else and we don't want any legal problems.

- Doug

Liam
05-02-2005, 06:03 PM
Hey Doug,

I'm sure you're tired of answering these questions that are "possibly" defined in the rules ;) , but I have just one thing. I have already submitted an entry, that has in the intro a short ethnic vocal sample from your Prosamples collection (World Vocals) that is of course distributed by Sounds Online. Is that a problem for the contest?

Thanks for being so patient in answering us!

Liam

Doug Rogers
05-03-2005, 08:07 AM
Hey Doug,

I'm sure you're tired of answering these questions that are "possibly" defined in the rules ;) , but I have just one thing. I have already submitted an entry, that has in the intro a short ethnic vocal sample from your Prosamples collection (World Vocals) that is of course distributed by Sounds Online. Is that a problem for the contest?

Thanks for being so patient in answering us!

Liam

Anything we distribute is OK.

- Doug

ToddK
05-03-2005, 11:06 PM
So, how do we vote?

TK

Jared Hudson
05-23-2005, 04:00 PM
*Sigh*

Maybe I'm asking the obvious question, but I recently finished a composition that uses 95% of QLSO. The only non-QLSO/Eastwest product is the piano playing a melody line. Considering there is no piano in the QLSO line, and is stated on the website, would the piano be allowed to pass? Also, the piano is NOT the central focal point of the piece.

Jared

Stefan Podell
05-23-2005, 04:22 PM
Jared,

There actually is a piano in EWQLSO. Formerly, it only came with Silver, but now you can get it for any metal (if you have Kontakt) for the cost of shipping.

- Stefan

Jared Hudson
05-23-2005, 04:29 PM
Crap, so I take it I have to ditch the piano, or not? :(

DPK
05-24-2005, 05:53 AM
* Compositions that are subject to third party copyright, or compositions that include sounds from non EASTWEST distributed products are not eligible.

The rules seem pretty clear to me. No samples/sounds other than ones distributed by East West.

Dan-