PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a Soundcard

LMG
08-10-2008, 11:15 PM
Would you be so kind to recommend me an internal sound card with MIDI IN/OUT, with zero latency ??? Please indicate if it is 32-bit or 64-bit (64-bit will work Ok in 32-bit Operating systems, right?)

Thank you!

A.Leung
08-10-2008, 11:29 PM
more info on what it is you plan on doing, work flow, number of inputs/outputs, etc would be necessary. Price range, pro or hobbyist to name a couple more would also help.

ghostonastring
08-11-2008, 01:20 AM
This is what I use
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/edirol-digital-mixer-18ch.jpg

This works great with Fruity loops, Cakewalk Sonar 7, and all east west quantum leap products.
So maybe is something for you.

persentio
08-11-2008, 02:18 AM
(64-bit will work Ok in 32-bit Operating systems, right?)
It is not guaranteed and more likely than not you need specific 32 or 64 bit drivers for it to work with the respective OS. However; if that particular soundcard is 64 bit compatible, it most probably also has 32-bit drivers.

Also, any specific reason why you prefer an internal soundcard? There are a wide range of external sound cards that are fantastic as well.

noldar12
08-11-2008, 10:55 AM
Latency will generally be slightly lower with an internal soundcard as opposed to external.

What are your needs? Do you only need two inputs, or do you need to be able to record multiple stereo tracks at once?

If you are just getting started some of the budget soundcards mightr well be enough, but the M-Audio cards, for example, only have 32 bit drivers and would not be advised for a 64 bit o/s.

Also, at this point there have been a few threads indicating that some of the Emu cards don't mesh well with Play.

Cards by either RME or MOTU are regarded quite highly, but will cost significantly more money.

LMG
08-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Latency will generally be slightly lower with an internal soundcard as opposed to external.

What are your needs? Do you only need two inputs, or do you need to be able to record multiple stereo tracks at once?

If you are just getting started some of the budget soundcards mightr well be enough, but the M-Audio cards, for example, only have 32 bit drivers and would not be advised for a 64 bit o/s.

Also, at this point there have been a few threads indicating that some of the Emu cards don't mesh well with Play.

Cards by either RME or MOTU are regarded quite highly, but will cost significantly more money.

I'm not interested in having so many AUDIO inputs. I just want a soundcard that offers the less latency, and that has MIDI IN/OUT. Any card that you may have that works well with EW products. Thanks

persentio
08-11-2008, 05:22 PM
Not necessarily true. Apparently the bug lies with PLAY and not just the E-MU soundcards. It was sheer coincidence in that particular thread perhaps.

I'm not interested in having so many AUDIO inputs. I just want a soundcard that offers the less latency, and that has MIDI IN/OUT. Any card that you may have that works well with EW products. Thanks
Try RME and Lynx cards.

noldar12
08-12-2008, 09:56 AM
The RME HDSP 9632 has 2 ins and 2 outs, plus lightpipe (8 digital channels) for $499 and is well regarded (balanced cables will run an additional +/- $70). It is their least expensvie card. Lynx cards run a bit higher.

The M-Audio Audiophile 192 was a highly regarded entry level card, 2 ins, 2 outs, plus S/PDIF for $179 (the card I currently have), but as mentioned, M-Audio still only has beta drivers for any 64 bit o/s - fine for 32 bit, not 64 bit. It is better than the Audiophile 24/96 as it has balanced ins and outs, which the 24/96 does not.

Edirol also has some decent entry level cards, favord by some Sonar users, but the only way to change settings on them is to turn them off and do hard resets.

Some of the Echo cards may be worth looking at as well. The Gina 3G runs $279 (2 balanced ins, 6 balanced outs plus lightpip) and its drivers are said to be multi-client friendly (meaning you can run two different audio programs at the same time and the card should drive them both). The Audiofire Two (firewire) has 2 ins and 2 outs (plus S/PDIF?) for $199, but strikes me as missing some key features (no lights to indicate clipping), the Audiofire Four seems a bit better.

For quality, either RME or Lynx would come out on top, but will cost considerably more.

MOTU has some good stuff as well, but from your description of what you are after have more ins and outs than you are after.

I believe all the cards have one Midi in and one Midi out (not absolutely certain about the Audiofire 2).

As for latency, RME would be excellent, M-Audio more or less OK, don't know about Lynx, Echo, MOTU, or Edirol, and reports on EMU have been very mixed, and not always favorable.

HTH

Jim