PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Solution

Sean Dexter
08-12-2008, 04:20 AM
Hi Forum,

I am a lucky user of Symphonic Choirs, Symphonic Orchestra Gold XP Pro and Ethno World4.
Everything works fine, no problems.

But when i use more sounds and try to work simultaneous with one of these plug ins, i am out of memory. So i am forced to render some tracks and i am able to load new instruments.

At the moment, i have 4 Gb Ram on Board.

Is there any Hardware Solutions? Any Outboard Hardware for an example?

Sorry 4 my bad english

Brgds Cengiz

persentio
08-12-2008, 07:29 AM
Hi Sean,

This is a common issue especially when you are using large instruments or many instances which add up to more RAM being needed. I believe you are on a 32-bit OS yes? There is a limit of about 2GB of accessable RAM in a 32-bit OS (Up to 3GB with a certain 3GB switch configuration which you can do; you can do a search on the forums on how to).

Unfortunately there are only 3 workarounds for this problem: 1 being the method you are using now, 2) being using a 64-bit OS so that you can have access to as much RAM that your computer system can support, and 3) is having multiple computers or 'slaves' to split up the RAM load.

noldar12
08-12-2008, 10:24 AM
If you have the money, getting a second computer for some of your libraries, especially if you plan on adding additional more in the future might be the best option.

While there are some 64 bit o/s sequencers out there, if you use a lot of plug-ins, far too many are still 32 bit, and don't work at all under 64 bit, and have problems with the host sequencer's bit-bridge work-arounds. By having a separate computer for your 64 bit libraries running in a 64 bit o/s (specifically EWQL and/or VSL) those sequencing headaches can be avoided.

Sean Dexter
08-12-2008, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the Replies,

well, an extra Computer could be an option, but not the right solution for me.

i am using 32bit OS with 4 GB RAM.

Is there something like "RAM-Farm" thingy?
I mean outboard-cards like DUENDE, SCOPE or Universal Audio UAD-1, that supports your system.

Best regards and thanks for your support.

persentio
08-12-2008, 06:47 PM
The only RAM farms that you can have are a MAC PRO fully loaded with 32GB of RAM, or high-end PCs that support up to 128GB of RAM. The outboard gear you mentioned above are mostly DSPs that do not tax your CPU. I'm not sure if there are other solutions available.

A.Leung
08-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Receptor?

persentio
08-12-2008, 07:29 PM
Dude. I can't believe I didn't know about Receptor sooner! It would have saved me the headache of going 64 bit! Does your studio utilize Receptors Allan? How exactly do they work and are they really more efficient than Computer farms?

A.Leung
08-12-2008, 08:04 PM
There are pluses and minuses with Receptors. At the time Terry was thinking about a whole lot of them they were in his opinion just underpowered. (that was 2 years ago) Nevertheless we did EXTENSIVE research on the machines (even bought a couple of them so we became quite intimate with the developers and I can only say that the developers are a CLASS one act. At that time receptor wassnt very stable with Logic Pro. THAT was the main problem. And secondary they were underpowered. The good folks at Receptor told Terry that they will make sure that it works with Logic [if] Terry could hold out for a few days. They said they would put one of their software guys on the task of making it work for us. That was quite a gracious offer but Tery declined. He was afraid of being a beta tester for a company and just couldnt afford to do so.

So ended our voyage thru the land of Receptor.

Now the good news. Times have changed and the receptor is FINALLY getting up to speed with the real world. I look at it as a sort of 'PC farm for Dummies'. And I am NOT being condescending here.

Let's face it - not EVERYONE is a computer geek. Not everyone is ready to jump into their 'puter with soldering irons blazzing and prepared to do monthly Over clockings on their systems, etc, etc...

Receptor is AMAZINGLY stable. It has a WONDERFUL way to register and unregister plugins at their main site that is worlds ahead of anything else. You get discounts on software. You can have them install it for you if you wish. You get GREAT support. You get their great low latency wireless methods of networking. The prices are (reasonable). What more do YOU want. (I said YOU and not me or maybe not the guy sitting next to you) My point being its for SOMEONE. The reason its not for me is because I know too much about computer components and can configure something/get it running and make it what I want it to be. I can kick the pants off of a receptor. But not EVERYONE can so it is DEFINITLEY for some folks.

I would say buy one take it home play with it for awhile. The part I LOVED was just turning it on!!!! It turns on in like 5 seconds and is ready to go... Now . How cool is that? ;)

If you dont like it - take it back. Thats what I did. But others will keep it, take it on stage, use it, abuse it and well- it will probably outlast most systems one can build today.

persentio
08-12-2008, 09:08 PM
Wow thanks for that fairly long description! I guess I could get one in the future but for now, the price is way too high... :o

Sean Dexter
08-13-2008, 03:13 AM
I was on the HP of Muse Research and read the specs of Receptor:

160GB Harddisk
256MB PC2700 DDR RAM expand to 2GB???