PDA

View Full Version : MONTHLY PRIZE FOR THE BEST USER DEMO

Doug Rogers
04-18-2005, 11:36 AM
EASTWEST/SOUNDSONLINE will reward the creator of the BEST USER DEMO per month with an EASTWEST or QUANTUM LEAP product of your choice up to $1000 (MSRP)!!

Rules -

* Entries should be placed in the DEMOS and MIDIFILES section of this forum.

* Forum members will judge the contest at the end of each month to decide the winner.

* The first contest will close May 31, 2005.

* Please make sure the demo includes only sounds from libraries distributed by EASTWEST, with an emphasis on EASTWEST/QUANTUM LEAP virtual instruments.

* Compositions that are subject to third party copyright, or compositions that include sounds from non EASTWEST distributed products are not eligible.

* Real vocals may be included provided vocalists are credited, the vocals are not included in any sample library or virtual instrument, and EASTWEST/SOUNDSONLINE has permission from the vocalists to use the demo for promotional purposes.

* The winner consents to EASTWEST/SOUNDSONLINE using the demo in return for the free product for promotional purposes.

Good luck!

ToddK
04-18-2005, 12:22 PM
Does it have to be an Original composition, or can it be a mock up of
an existing theme?

Great idea by the way! I'm a Gold owner, and will definatly participate. :D

You guys rock D n N!!!! Thanks for the spectacular work you put in to your
great products!

Toddk

fvicente
04-18-2005, 12:29 PM
Hi,

Great idea and incentive Doug!

ToddK, at the very least I would guess that it would need to be public domain so as to avoid copyright issues.

FVicente

Liam
04-18-2005, 12:44 PM
Wow! That is very cool! I have a question, you said only sounds from EWQL libs are aloud. Would you except it if the enitre piece was EWQL except for a very short one note effect pad from Atmosphere just at the very begining?

Thanks,

Liam

aaaaaakash
04-18-2005, 12:57 PM
wow, this is awesome.

thanks. there's the motivation i needed.

AndyFinkenstadt
04-18-2005, 01:36 PM
EW or QL products... am I correct in assuming that this doesn't include the other sounds available through SoundsOnline, such as RealGuitar?

Doug Rogers
04-18-2005, 01:40 PM
EW or QL products... am I correct in assuming that this doesn't include the other sounds available through SoundsOnline, such as RealGuitar?

I've clarified the rules above.

- Doug

Evan
04-18-2005, 04:25 PM
What about If I recorded a solo trumpet for a blues style piece? Could that be considered a voice? MOst likely not but, just in case. ;)

neoTypic
04-18-2005, 09:29 PM
Awesome. It does indeed give some motivation as I know I can't afford some libraries I'd love to have. Heh. Not that I have a chance in Hades, but yaknow! :p

IvanP
04-19-2005, 12:49 AM
Excellent!

Bravo, Doug :)

josejherring
04-19-2005, 12:50 AM
I'm all over it. That's so cool. I hope I have time to finish something this month.

Can we enter every month?

Jose

tgfoo
04-19-2005, 05:25 AM
Nice. This sounds like it should provide some fun at the end of each month.

Steve Karl
04-19-2005, 05:43 AM
Yes!

I love hearing the work everyone does here. It was the reason I bought Gold.
I'm learing a lot from hearing the posts.
Looking forward to it and hopefully will have an entry at some time in the future.

Steve

dcoscina
04-19-2005, 05:50 AM
Honestly, I thought this was a late April Fool's joke. But this is very very generous. In fact, I think this is unprecedented. Looks like I'll be doing even more writing than ever these days.

Doug Rogers
04-19-2005, 08:15 AM
Can we enter every month?

Yes, and as many times as you want to during the month.

Forum members are going to decide the winners, not us.

- Doug

dcoscina
04-19-2005, 09:40 AM
Hmmm, not to be a stick in the mud but wouldn't this mean everyone would vote for their own demo?

Doug Rogers
04-19-2005, 09:56 AM
Hmmm, not to be a stick in the mud but wouldn't this mean everyone would vote for their own demo?

Well, hopefully there will be more than one vote for the winner.

- Doug

lgrohn
04-19-2005, 10:13 AM
Most of the pieces on "demos and midifiles" here are not compositions
but "only" demos. Typically a kind of fragments of a "real" hypothetical
pieces. The "rules" for the monthly prize use both the words composition and demo.
If we have demos, the "competition" is a kind of idea and orchestration
competition. If we have compositions the rules of evaluation
should be quite different. Should both forms qualify? If yes
we will have too different tacit standards and it is not fair.

Lauri Gröhn

Doug Rogers
04-19-2005, 11:44 AM
You can find holes in any idea, but I think generally everyone gets the concept. It applies to all demos (or compositions) posted in the demo area of the forum each month.

- Doug

Evan
04-19-2005, 12:57 PM
i think when people use the term demo, they refer it to as a demo of what they can do. Because the composition has no other purpose but to self-fulfill them and to "demo" what they can do.

aaaaaakash
04-19-2005, 07:15 PM
someone asked earlier if you can use a recording of yourself playing an instrument....
i can play a mean euphonium... and considering there is no euphonium samples in EWQLSO, would it be appropriate to use that in my piece?

Doug Rogers
04-19-2005, 07:49 PM
someone asked earlier if you can use a recording of yourself playing an instrument....
i can play a mean euphonium... and considering there is no euphonium samples in EWQLSO, would it be appropriate to use that in my piece?

It wouldn't be included in the demo contest if you did. If we decide to use the winning entry for promotional purposes it could get confusing to listeners if live sounds were included in the demo.

- Doug

aaaaaakash
04-20-2005, 03:52 PM
hehe, thats understandable. Thanks Doug!

aakash

evaclear
04-23-2005, 05:51 AM
Yet another good call Doug.

I'll be submitting :D

Hardy Heern
05-01-2005, 06:24 AM
This is a great idea but how about a booby prize for those of us who don't have a clue?....only kidding!

BTW, congratulations on your new website. I hadn't realised this was happening until today!

Frank

Doug Rogers
05-01-2005, 08:46 AM
This is a great idea but how about a booby prize for those of us who don't have a clue?....only kidding!

BTW, congratulations on your new website. I hadn't realised this was happening until today!

Frank

I saw your post over at NS Frank, it will no doubt be deleted in the next few hours. Thanks for your support, I'm sure you will find this a friendly place in the future.

- Doug

marapud
05-04-2005, 03:55 PM
This is a great idea. I will be submitting material.

Is there a recommended length of time that each submission should be?