PDA

View Full Version : Master clock???

EricWatkins
08-14-2008, 06:12 AM
Ok, I currently have a DAW and a slave but I'm really only using the main DAW so far and the slave is only routed back to the main DAW with analog connections. I know it seems silly but it's really just an initial test to see if it works. So then on my main DAW I have a MOTU 2408 mkIII. I also have a Tascam DM-4800 TDIFed to the MOTU for audio recording. The MOTU gives clock output to the Tascam's clock input. So, when I decide to add a REAL slave or atleast get digital output out of the one I have now, at that point, do I need a master clock as I will have atleast 3 pieces of digital gear all talking at once? I'm assuming that this will be necessary but I really dont know I guess. Anyone? Thanks.

A.Leung
08-14-2008, 09:16 AM
yes you will need a Master clock source to synch digital equipment/devices. The rule of thumb is that your most expensive piece becomes the clock source. If budget allows you can purchase a Big Ben clock device.

If one device is synched using Spidf then many times IT becomes the master (eg. You have a keyboard you use as a controller AND you use its sounds. Its spidfs are tied into your sound card)

EricWatkins
08-14-2008, 09:53 AM
Thanks Allan. I am still trying to figure out this path to getting another PC going and this makes it a bit more costly to keep from having to reconfigure everything to go from midi scoring to audio recording in the studio. I've seen the Big Ben in the catalogs and read reviews. I just never really thought that that would apply to me. Not exactly a small investment either for something that doesnt make a peep. Lol. Well thanks again. You are a wealth of knowledge young man.

A.Leung
08-14-2008, 10:09 AM
I don't want to move you away from your going digital audio. The Big Ben and other devices like it are found in many top end pro studios. Most find it quite sufficient to setting clock to "Internal" source within their Master computer devices audio software (eg., motu Cuemix software)

In your case, aside from the 64bit computer and soundcard itself the next most expensive things would probably just be some litePipe cables.

EricWatkins
08-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Ok, so if I'm understanding you correctly; I dont HAVE to connect word clock cables neccesarily between everything? Like maybe keep my motu clock driving my mixing console but not worry about the motu and the slave soundcard speaking? Just leave the slave clock source as internal at the same (48k) sampling rate? Sorry if I'm being thick-skulled right now.:o

johng
08-14-2008, 12:30 PM
If the soundcard you have has a Word Clock In BNC thingy, you can use the motu MKIII clock as the master with the setup you have -- use a BNC "T" connector on the "Word Clock In" of the second thing -- slave or board -- and make sure it's not terminated, then go to the third thing (the slave or the board) and make sure it IS terminated.

It might be nifty if you had a master clock but it is not required. However, you do need everything to clock to the master -- MOTU in this case.

I finally bought a master clock but I have multiple slaves, hardware reverb that's digital, etc., so I couldn't daisy chain (no more than 2 units connected to the master output).

EricWatkins
08-14-2008, 12:43 PM
If the soundcard you have has a Word Clock In BNC thingy, you can use the motu MKIII clock as the master with the setup you have -- use a BNC "T" connector on the "Word Clock In" of the second thing -- slave or board -- and make sure it's not terminated, then go to the third thing (the slave or the board) and make sure it IS terminated.

It might be nifty if you had a master clock but it is not required. However, you do need everything to clock to the master -- MOTU in this case.

I finally bought a master clock but I have multiple slaves, hardware reverb that's digital, etc., so I couldn't daisy chain (no more than 2 units connected to the master output).

Very cool. I didnt know they made a T connector. And so where does the termination process come in? is this a software setting or harware setting or what? Thanks again.

johng
08-14-2008, 05:01 PM
termination can be hardware or software -- it depends on your sound card / piece of gear. My Hammerfall cards, by way of example, have a little blue chip thingy that you have to remove if you don't want them to terminate.

You can buy these little BNC terminator things from good audio sources. I got some from AudioMidi but everyone has them.

Reading your posts, I have the impression that you are very new to this digital clocking thing. Unfortunately, you really must get this right or your music will have digital slush all through it and sound rotten.

It sounds though as if you need to do just a little more investigating / reading about this before you are going to be rock solid -- do a little more surfing and you should be ok. I am suggesting using BNC cables because the MOTU has BNC in and out for word clock sync, but I don't know what your sound card(s) have -- could be spdif -- so you need to do a bit more homework to be sure you are going to have this work.

Allan is right about his advice too, of course (as usual!).

EricWatkins
08-15-2008, 05:04 AM
Yeah, the clocking thing is new though I've been reading about it for quite a while. It just never applied to me before. However, I have been using it between my 2408 and my digital console for several months. THe only reason for this thread is that I am now about to add a 3rd piece of gear and I didnt know what the rules were on this. Your/Allen's posts have helped with that now.

The master clock would probably be nice though eventually. Right now, I still have problems with the console wanting to follow suit to the 2408's clocking. I usually go through a dance of resetting the clock rate on the console and Cubase even though everything is already set at 48k all the time.

I might try using the console as the clock master and see if that helps.

Thanks again for all your help.

johng
08-15-2008, 10:05 AM
I think trying the board as the master clock is a good idea.