PDA

View Full Version : Sound interface level

raywong
08-16-2008, 04:26 AM
I just got a new sound interface, it is a different brand from the old one. I noticed the level is not the same as the old one, even when both faders are set to zero. Are the level supposed to be standard? Do I need to get from the same brand to have all equal level?

Jarrek2002
08-16-2008, 04:54 AM
The levels are not standardized, as I understand it. Some interfaces offer more dB differential than others.

What interface did you purchase, and what are you comparing it to?

pinkster
08-17-2008, 12:53 AM
The levels are not at all standardized, like Jarrek as well commented.

There are so many components that effect inside the hardware over the signal before coming out from the output, including the software.
It is not either any better if you get more output from the hardware, if the signal is not pure but full of buzz and humm. The things you should be concerned about mostly are A/D- and D/A conversions as well as the preamps used.

When you are approaching the high end, you get the quarantee that these elements are taken care of. Then the levels are not the main point any more, though sometimes you get surprised about i.e. the low levels of phones output. And even from quite poor components you can squeeze a moderately high output signal.

If you are searching for better equipment, choose balanced in/output including hardware, allthough you won't gain much with short lead runs, but at least you can trust on the manufacturer, that they've even given a thought for their product.

If you feel you get too much output from your previous projects, it helps to have a physical volume knob or a mixer or anything alike to control that matter. The levels between different channels inside one projects are still not changed, so there's nothing to worry about.

It would be interesting to know which interface you have chosen and what the previous one was.

Greetnings :cool:

raywong
08-17-2008, 02:37 AM
Thanks guys! This is what I have now:
Host: M-audio 1814

Slaves:
M-audio 1814
M-audio fast track pro
Echo Gina24
Echo audiofire4

I want to get the M-audio pro fire light bridge for the host

pinkster
08-19-2008, 10:49 AM
Interesting....

What kind of a setup are you planning i.e. how do you connect that to the others in your system?