PDA

View Full Version : Serious demo request - EWQLSO Gold

MDesigner
04-18-2005, 02:10 PM
Hey all..

I'm leaning towards buying EWQLSO Gold within the next couple weeks. But I'd like to hear some demos first, and not the usual mockups like the ones that are posted up on the site. I'd like to hear solo instruments, nothing else, so I can really get a feel for how the library sounds.

This is more of a request for Nick or Doug, but anyone can feel free to contribute. I'd really like to hear:

1) solo oboe - legato performance (Qlegato or otherwise)
2) solo clarinet - same as above
3) cello section - same as above (lower notes and higher notes)
4) violin sections - same as above
5) cello section - the sharpest staccato sample there is
6) violin sections - same as above

That's it. Hopefully not too much to ask!

Composer
04-18-2005, 03:50 PM
Well, Nick and Doug obviously aren't going to take the time to make demos specifically for you. But I would like to hear these too, as I'm also thinking of buying the Gold "crossgrade". To be honest, all of the demos on soundsonline are a bit too overbearing - the orchestrations are too big. It all sounds like big, loud Elfman/Silvestri action music to me. I wish there were more smaller, chamber pieces or demos that showed off the individual sections more. I think there is only one demo that is strings only, and one demo that is percussion only.

It would be nice for the Pro libraries if there was a string quartet demo, wouldn't it?

But then again, EWQLSO is bought mostly for its big Hollywood sound (please don't flame me) - so many people may not care for smaller demos.

About those solo instrument demos - maybe some one would be kind enough to make a real quick demo just playing those instruments live (no tweaking or editing) for you? It would take all of three minutes.

MDesigner
04-18-2005, 04:10 PM
Well yeah, Doug/Nick are too busy to put together short demos for people :) Maybe I should've said someone else who works w/ them or something. It doesn't really matter who puts it together..

I agree with you though, the demos I've heard on the site were OK, but didn't really blow me away. The orchestration was, as you said, thick. The brass samples sound too tinny to me, too.. too "buzzy."

I'd like to hear more solo instrument performances. Anyone have anything?

dcoscina
04-18-2005, 04:49 PM
The first part of this track is mostly VSL but when it moves into fast section and finale it's all Gold....

Mysterioso Short Suite (http://forums2.keyfax.com/user-files/183988-Mysterioso%20Short%20suite.mp3)

deathadder79
04-18-2005, 06:51 PM
Well, since PRO edition will have some small string sections and a harpsichord, maybe they'd agree to do a baroque piece... they could easily show off small strings, harpsichord, solo woodwinds, solo brass (piccolo trumpet!!!), and maybe even solo strings all in the same piece...

Then again, most of the instruments I mentioned are from PRO... ;)

metrobot
04-18-2005, 07:07 PM
The first part of this track is mostly VSL but when it moves into fast section and finale it's all Gold....

Mysterioso Short Suite (http://forums2.keyfax.com/user-files/183988-Mysterioso%20Short%20suite.mp3)

Lovely piece. Excellently orchestrated. But isn't it rather telling that you chose VSL for the quieter solo parts, but ripped out ESQLSO when you wanted to rage? That was kind of the point of this thread, I thought...

Which is why my medium-term goal is to do what you did and have both.

dcoscina
04-18-2005, 07:32 PM
I'm looking forward to the Pro editions because they have much more in the way of smaller groupings of instruments. more articulations for solo cello, viola and violin thankfully. Even VSL doesn't have these. And the Qlegato patches coming up have everyone anxious to hear them.

I've no doubt I'll be using EQLSO for every scenario once the Pro upgrades come out....

oh, I didn't want to advertise for VSL- I just wanted to show people how dramatic EWQLSO Gold can be at kick-ass parts.

Aside from the legato flute and horns on Kontakt 2, I prefer using/working with Gold. It's solid, flexible, and sounds great withouth having to add reverb, which ultimately means more time spent writing music. :cool:

awpmusic
04-19-2005, 02:03 AM
Have a listen to the first three pieces on my demo page - they are all Gold - 'Safari' has some solo oboe - and 'The Wave' has solo violin amongst other things.

James W.G. Smith
04-19-2005, 03:33 AM
You know, it's really funny that all those demos are really big actionish type music. EWQLSO is capable of doing REALLY lush and beautiful music as well, and also just about anything that I can think of. If used properly, I really think you can get just about any sound you want out of it (in terms of the instruments it has). Note to Nick/Doug: how about some very different demos for this stuff, and since we are talking films, how about genres: Action, Adventure, Drama, Romance, Comedy, Horror, Suspence, Fantasy and Sci-Fi, then you have everything covered :D. And again, how about some 5.1 demos for the pro edition so we can hear how it mixes in surround!

James W.G. Smith