PDA

View Full Version : Birth of Stars

Brady
04-18-2005, 03:34 PM
Seeing as how the old EastWest forum is closing down, I thought I'd cross-post here. Hope that's not a problem. :)

This piece is a combination of EWQLSO Silver, Gold, the Galaxy Steinway, and a touch of SOV (boy's choir, london choir, and solo soprano) (whish this could be EWQLSO Choirs!). I think that's everything. But it's mostly Silver and Gold. It's a first-draft, so be gentle, but also be forthcoming with your criticism. I can really use the tips. I plan to make a few mixing changes already, but I thought I'd go ahead and get some feedback. After going over and over this same piece, I need some fresh ears to tell me what they think as I've all but entirely lost my objectvitiy with this piece. :)

Thanks in advance!

http://www.anbsoft.com/downloads/Brady_Wright-Birth_of_Stars.mp3

josejherring
04-18-2005, 04:12 PM
Very, very fine. Very professional.

The only thing that I was thinking is that the individual motives are really nice and it would be nice to organize them better together into themes. I think that you could get a lot of milage out of just the first 4 motives presented in the first min. of the piece. That's material for a whole symphony right there. Have you read Schoenberg's book,"Technique of musical composition"?

Also, the verb sounds a little cheezy at times. What are you using? Convelution or outboard. I can hear artificial reflections and it gets muddy and grainy.

But I really dig the expression of the piece and your programming is superb.

What do you do musically in Oaklahoma? Are you hooked up with the symphony or concerts in anyway?

Cheers,

Jose

Brady
04-18-2005, 04:32 PM
Thanks, Jose!

No, I haven't read that book, and that's precisely what I'd really like to learn is how to get lots of mileage out of my themes. That's one problem I have. I guess I've been poisoned by those who've warned me that most compositions stretch on much longer than they ought. I'm always paranoid that I'm going to "wear out my welcome" so to speak with a particular theme. :) I know there's a way to keep it fresh for a longer period of time, but I have difficulty identifying it. I'd absolutely LOVE any advice you could offer in this regard.

The verb on this mix was SIR 1.008 using an impulse I found free on the 'net called something like "HOTHALL"...? It's supposed to be an impulse of a real place, not made off of a hardware or software verb unit. That's one area where I have a hard time - finding good reverb. I have a tough time grappling with the settings, and I don't have the funds at the moment to get a nice package like Altiverb or GigaPulse.

I actually don't do anything musically here. :) I mainly do this because I love it, and because I intend to package some of my compositions with some of my software releases (I write screensavers among other things). Though I'd welcome an opportunity to work on a professional project of some kind.

Thanks again for your comments, Jose!

Laurent JUILLET
04-18-2005, 04:43 PM
Very nice job Brady. Really majestic and nobility feeling. Bravo.

Brady
04-18-2005, 05:00 PM
Thank you, Laurent! I appreciate your kind comments very much.

josejherring
04-18-2005, 05:16 PM
Brady get this book then we'll have lots to talk about.

It's called Fundamentals of Musical Composition

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0571196586/qid=1113865931/sr=8-8/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl14/102-7886946-7168907?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I don't know why people don't know this book. It's saved my bacon on projects all the time. You would like it. It's all about how to "think" musically. He compares motivic writing to logic. Thinking in differences and similarities. It's quite facinating and very useful. Just too bad he didn't follow his own advice.

Jose

Evan
04-18-2005, 05:55 PM
thats just simply a good composition.

Brady
04-19-2005, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the tip on the book, Jose! I'm definitely going to look into it, it sounds fascinating.

Thank you for the kind words, Evan. I'm glad to know you liked it.

neoTypic
04-19-2005, 08:02 AM
Seems we share the same problem. *laughs* A friend once told me that I could write chapters if I'd just elaborate my sentences. ;)

Very nice work.

Stefan Podell
04-19-2005, 12:30 PM
Many people seem to say that EWQLSO only shines in big, bombastic pieces.

To them, I shall now say: "Balderdash! Birth of Stars!!!!"

Very nice.

steveb
04-20-2005, 06:44 AM
I really liked this - your programming is excellent and the piece is very soothing, reflective. My only comment would be that the choirs sound a little "synthetic" in places, which only really jumped out at me because the rest sounds so good. I think it may only need the trimming of a few note lengths to fix it? Anyway - great! Look forward to hearing more of your music. :)

wayne_rowley
04-20-2005, 06:57 AM
Nice Brady, very nice!! I like this a lot. I too have Symphony of Voices (for the Kurzweil synth). Maybe try to adjust the mix so that the boys choir is more prominant as I find it sounds a little more realistic than the London Chorale (they really should have had more vibrato sounds here imho).

Lovely though - looking forward to the next piece!

Wayne

Brady
04-20-2005, 09:51 AM
Thanks for all the kind comments, guys! I really appreciate you taking the time to listen to this piece.

Wayne, I know what you mean, that's one thing to like about VOTA (the vibrato). Although I was poking around in the extra voices disk (I think that was the one) and found a low, medium, and high vibrato patches for the London Choir. Sounds a little better in some things... but also sounds slightly fake in others. I'd have used VOTA, except I don't have it. :) I only have the small patches that come with Silver. I'm waiting for EWQLSO Choirs.

Kayamb
04-27-2005, 11:41 PM
Great job Brady.

Very smooth, very peaceful. Exactly what I needed after a stressing day at work :)

Nothing really to say about the techniques, you seem to manage quite well this aspect.

Congratulations and please keep posting!

josejherring
04-30-2005, 08:06 PM
Just one more thing
I think that the tutti climaxes could be beefed up with better orchestration to contrast the very nice lyrical sections.

Rimsky Korsakov's orchestration books are really helpful in learning how to balance a full tutti section.

Great work.

Jose