PDA

View Full Version : Platinum on RTAS? Am I Crazy?

bloombaber
04-19-2005, 06:04 PM
I am using Silver on a Powerbook 1.25 GHz, in ProTools LE with RTAS. I have just maxed out RAM (to 2 GB) and this seems to have alleviated problems I was having with playback stopping suddenly, error messages about CPU interfering with audio playback, etc. I am also going to move the ound library off my internal drive and over to an external 7200 RPM Firewire, which I understand will improve performance. After reading a post here, I am also going to give up on using the internal reverb.

Now, with the Platinum group buy going on, I am very tempted to upgrade, but my question (for those of you in-the-know types) is this: will my little less-than-optimal computer set-up be able to handle it? Any idea how many programs I should expect to be able to use at once? (Right now, utilizing some reverb-- and with my library on my internal drive -- I max out at about 12-13 intruments.)

I'm by no means a power user (more of a hobbiest who sometimes makes some money at it), so I'm not going to go out and buy some more computers. With my computer, will I be able to get my money's worth out of Platinum, use the 3 mic setups. etc?

Thanks in advance...

evaclear
04-20-2005, 03:20 AM
I'm keen to know about Platinum's performance on Protools Le too... (although I guess most SO library composers would be using different host programs- Cubase etc)

Have you heard that you'll get better performance from an external drive? Are you currently using 2 seperate hard drives within your DAW, or are you partitioning one?

dubaifox
04-20-2005, 03:22 AM
Another Pro Tools LE user very interested in how well Gold or Platinum would perform.

Doug Rogers
04-20-2005, 08:22 AM
There is a significant update for RTAS users coming in about a week. After that, everything should work as well as other formats.

However, running Platinum on a laptop would require the use of a Firewire 800 external drive, and at least 2 Gigs of ram (preferably 3) IMO. Gold would be better, but I still think you need a faster drive. Most laptops only have a 5400rpm drive in them for heat reasons. Silver is made for laptops.

- Doug

dubaifox
04-21-2005, 01:49 AM
There is a significant update for RTAS users coming in about a week. After that, everything should work as well as other formats.

Well......this is VERY exciting news!!!!

Would love to be able to use EWQL products exclusively in Pro Tools LE but the disclamer (below) on the Gold website has really put me off. So Doug are you saying that this is the issue that is being fixed? Will it also improve how other NI products work within Pro Tools LE?

(***RTAS USERS PLEASE NOTE - If you encounter performance problems while using the RTAS version of your Kompakt instrument, please keep checking back at the Native Instruments updates section. Native Instruments and Digidesign are aware of this problem and are working together to solve the problem as soon as possible. RTAS is not supported for MAC OS9***)

Scott
04-21-2005, 12:36 PM
dubaifox,
I'm surprised I haven't seen you on the beta team for the new NI RTAS GPO.
The beta agreement prevents me from giving specific information, but to date, the reports from NI and my results differ. The beta is continuing......, but the "in a week" timeline would surprise me; pleasantly though.
BTW, did you receive my email inquiring as to your comparison voice counts with DP?
I bought DP, but the manual sits unopened as the creative urges have superceded software learning. Can anyone share their voice count benchmarks between PT and DP??
That RTAS statement discouraged me from the Gold Group Buy, but at this point I've become so accustomed to bouncing each track after it's recorded, that I've accepted the limitations as part of my workflow. It would be nice if EW would allow RTAS users to still get in on the group price when it works better. Yea, dream on :rolleyes:
Scott

dubaifox
04-21-2005, 09:47 PM
dubaifox,
I'm surprised I haven't seen you on the beta team for the new NI RTAS GPO.

Hi Scott:

I had planned to be on the Beta team but I have been traveling a ton in the last two months, plus my computer has been suffering from some MAJOR problems. I couldn't run Digital Performer for more than 5 minutes without it unexpectedly quitting.

Didn't want to try Beta Testing anything under these circumstances.

But, in terms of Benchmark, I could get roughly twice as many voices using DP internal sound on the MAC VS PT LE using the 002r.

Doug Rogers
04-22-2005, 07:45 AM
but the "in a week" timeline would surprise me; pleasantly though.

The update is already included in RA, Colossus and Symphonic Choirs, and the other titles will be updated in approx. a week. GPO uses a Kontakt player, not a Kompakt player, that might be a reason for the difference.

- Doug

Scott
04-22-2005, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the info guys. Sorry about your probs dubaifox. Doug, that's great to know. So I should be able to update titles like Stormdrum in a week and get an idea of how titles like RA and Gold will work?? Is there a ProTools version that RTAS was specifically upgraded for, or will all ProTools versions using RTAS be improved?
Thanks,

bryandaste
05-11-2005, 10:57 PM
So....where's the update??

Has anyone had success with using a VST-RTAS wrapper with EWQLSO Silver (or higher)? Does this totally screw stuff up?

Thanks,
Bryan

dubaifox
05-14-2005, 11:44 PM

I can't find any answers either.

I have not been able to find a single person using RA or Colossus as an RTAS plug in PT 6.7.

I have posted on the TDM AND LE site at Digi, Soundsonline, Northern Sounds and NI. Very little interest or response.

Doug can you at least give us an idea on when we might see an update?
Will we have to wait for PT 7.0?

evaclear
05-16-2005, 04:30 AM

Has anyone had success with using a VST-RTAS wrapper with EWQLSO Silver (or higher)? Does this totally screw stuff up?

Thanks,
Bryan

I use a wrapper for a few VSTis in ProTools, but can't see how that would help overcome the problem in question with EWQLSO (that being dissabled midi allocation in PTools).

I have Gold and use it both in PT and Cubase. Really wanting this fix to become availible soon. Any news? :confused: I know of a fix patch that's going around for silver.

evaclear
05-16-2005, 04:32 AM
I
Doug can you at least give us an idea on when we might see an update?
Will we have to wait for PT 7.0?

Yes please. I'll keep my eyes peeled.