PDA

View Full Version : EWQLSO-Platinum vs Colossus

SANMAN
04-20-2005, 01:07 PM
I can certainly use some of your expert advice and opinions. I currently use GigaStudio 3 with a general midi library I purchased from Conextant (GM500). I also have some nice drum sets from Sonic Implants. I'm now looking to upgrade my sound library and have been "blown away" with the EWQLSO products.

My decision has centered around two of the product sets, EWQLSO-Platinum and Colossus. With the current "Group Buy" pricing of Platinum, there's only a $200 difference between these products. I've listened to some of the demo's from the Colossus library and was really impressed.

My current musical interest (as a hobbiest) is arranging and orchestration of Movie themes, big band classics, Sinatra, etc, and pop.

With Platinum, can I get the right sounds (especially Brass and lush strings) or, is that library more conducive to large ensembles, rather than unique solo playing or small sections???

Should I be looking at other products for my specific musical tastes?

I would greatly appreciate all input and suggestions.

Regards,

Mark

Nicky
04-20-2005, 03:16 PM
It's not the same product..
I have Colossus, and her vocation is a generalist and large hight quality insturments (drums, bass, guitar, keyboard, orchestral, piano, synth, ...), and QLEWSO platinum is a dedicated very hight quality orchestrale instruments.

The best choice for me ? Colossus is a very good choice, bundled with the special crossgrade QLEWSO Gold (499$ !!), it's a choice more expensive that QLEWSO Platinum, but very interesting...

QLEWSO Gold (crossgrade) + Colossus = 1500 $
QLEWSO Platinum (group buy) = 1200 $

loogoo
04-20-2005, 04:41 PM
I agree with Nicky that the Colossus/Gold combo might be your best bet. Platinum might just be overkill. Bear in mind also that if you want to do pop stuff or use anything outside of the realm of strictly orchestral instruments, Colossus is the obvious choice. It is designed to be a comprehensive collection of different instruments, though even with 32 gigabytes, it can't go very deep with each one. What it offers is so way above my old GM module that it is truly indispensable to me now. Gold would give you more articulation options with the orchestral instruments and they complement each other very well.

neoTypic
04-21-2005, 01:18 AM
I'll third that Colossus/Gold is probably your best choice for your interests as EWQLSO is very much geared to orchestral music and does not contain guitars/jazz instruments/etc.

Michael Naz
04-21-2005, 06:11 PM
Like its been mentioned, Colossus will give you a broader range of instruments for jazz and pop.. but you need to make sure that the stage mics of Gold will fit the music you want to do. I have a friend that bought Gold during the group buy and is using the strings for pop and R&B and doesn't like the amount of reverb that is built into the library, he has a hard time making them fit in a mix. With Platinum you'll get the 3 mic positions that you can use to fit any mix.

Just something else to think about..

Composer
04-21-2005, 07:02 PM
Michael, in response to what you just said - it is my understanding that you could actually turn the release trails, the ambience of the hall, off. I know that the release trails aren't included in Silver, and if you don't add reverb the samples sound dry. Couldn't your friend have turned the release trails off and added artificial reverb to suite his needs, or is this not possible in Gold?

Journeyman
04-21-2005, 07:07 PM
That is a common misconception. Even if you turn the release tails off, there is still a lot of remaining ambience that takes place DURING the note. That ambience isn't removable. The only way to get the dry samples is to get Platinum.

Michael Naz
04-21-2005, 08:11 PM
That is a common misconception. Even if you turn the release tails off, there is still a lot of remaining ambience that takes place DURING the note. That ambience isn't removable. The only way to get the dry samples is to get Platinum.

Exactly.. even with the release trails turned off there is still hall reverb in the sounds during the note and it doesn't sit that well with dryer samples of drums and bass, especially in R&B stuff. With rock I think its easier to get away with adding reverb to the other sounds to even the mix.

SANMAN
04-22-2005, 09:54 AM
All,

Thank you all for the expert advice. And yes, I need to control the ambience/reverb. I would prefer more dry samples and to have the control of the overall blend/mix.

I'm definately headed towards the purchase of Colossus!

Mark

Journeyman
04-22-2005, 10:41 AM
Do I take it that the orchestral samples in Colussus are dry? And if so, are they from Platinum?

Silent223
04-29-2005, 02:45 PM
i would like to know this as well, also, let's say you bought hardcore bass, ewqlso gold, and colossus, would there be much overlap?

I was thinking of getting, ewqlso gold and col. but i was wondering if there would be alot of overlap.. and also, wondering if colossus had enough bass patches and samples.

SANMAN
04-29-2005, 09:44 PM
Silent223

From the Colossus user's manual, the following "BASS" patches are included:

Electric Bass and Upright
66 Silvertone.nki
72 Rickenbacker.nki
Fat Rock Pick.nki
Fretless Bass .nki
Lakland Finger.nki
Lakland Pick.nki
SLAP BASS 1.nki
SLAP BASS 2.nki
Stingray.nki
Upright Bass Exp 1.nki
Upright Bass Exp 2.nki
Upright Bass FX.nki
Upright Bass Vibrato.nki
Upright Bass.nki

Synth Bass
Notes:
Mod-wheel crossfades between 2 different bass programs.
Club Bass MOD.nki
CS80 Bass 1 MOD.nki
CS80 Bass 2 MOD.nki
Fuzz Bass MOD.nki
Hollow Bass MOD.nki
Juicy Bass MOD.nki
Nicks Modular 1 MOD.nki
Nicks Modular 2 MOD.nki
Nicks Modular 3 MOD.nki
Oberheim Bass MOD.nki
Short Bite Bass MOD.nki
Steroid Bass MOD.nki