PDA

View Full Version : Nova

Brady
04-21-2005, 09:24 AM
Here's a new piece of mine titled "Nova". The original idea was to musically paint the picture and tell the story of a star going nova. Theh brooding mood at the beginning is intended to kind of foreshadow the coming death of the star, and to convey the pressures at work within the star at the onset of the nova event. The climax around the middle is supposed to represent the glory as the star shines its brightest just before death. The more optimistic theme that rebounds after the death of the star represents the beauty and new "life" that emerges from the star's remains.

This is almost 100% EWQLSO Gold. I used the VOTA patches from Silver, and an ever-so-slight bit of the SOV London Choir for softer choir parts toward the beginning and right at the end of the "death" of the star part.

All feedback is eagerly desired! :)

http://www.anbsoft.com/downloads/Brady_Wright-Nova.mp3

ChrisE
04-21-2005, 10:07 AM
Love the piece, it sounds awesome :)

I really enjoyed the menacing start, the growling brass reminds me of 'Mars' from Holst's Planets. That tritone leap is a favourite of mine, and the tremelo strings sounds great too :)
I'm always a great fan of dark and brooding themes and this was a pleasure to listen to.

Not to say that i only enjoyed the start though, as i thought the whole piece was terrific. Look forward to hearing more pieces :D

neoTypic
04-21-2005, 10:14 AM
Well done. I really like what you managed to get out of the simple choir patches from Silver.

steveb
04-21-2005, 10:43 AM
Really nice! Enjoyed it very much. Definitely conjures the imagery in the mind's eye. :)

Brady
04-21-2005, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the kind comments, guys! Yes, Holst's planets suite has had an influence on me, I'd have to say. And I'm glad to hear the imagery is working! That's what I was going for. :)

Wes37
04-21-2005, 04:15 PM
Excellent piece, Brady! I don't think you need to change anything, but am curious what it would sound like to have the choirs swell and decrecendo to emphasis their presence.

Just a thought. Great job! :)

MCS
04-22-2005, 04:08 AM
Thats great!

I want to hear another 10 minutes!!

Best,
Michael

Steve Karl
04-22-2005, 05:51 AM
Very nice. The beginning is really perfect. The swells ( horns?) around 1:09 - 1:12 are a bit too close to the front for me, coming from the tighter beginning, but that's just a matter of taste for sure. Great composition.
Thanks for posting.

Steve

Steve Karl
04-24-2005, 11:01 AM
Enter the contest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

Brady
04-25-2005, 07:45 AM
Thanks you for the great comments, everyone! Hmmm... I'll definitely consider entering... although I'll have to remove the hint of SOV first. ;)

Thanks again!

Epiano
04-25-2005, 03:23 PM
The beautifull music of silence, space and air...
You have painted a dark deep sky in midnight, and it's really breathing...
Greetings,
Epiano.

Kayamb
04-26-2005, 06:56 AM
Congratulations,

It's full of images and very poetic. I do appreciate your work!

josejherring
04-30-2005, 08:17 PM
Really good on this one too.

I think this one needs some more polyphony to pull it off fully. Harmonizing out some of the brass parts would help a lot. Like the begining is good that it starts out with that two note motive but it's repeated unvaried too many times and even though you have other things going on that stands out as the lead line. And it sounds like its a little unrelated to what's going on around it.

Jose

PaulR
05-03-2005, 04:10 PM
Really good on this one too.

Jose

Yes, I liked the first one and I think this is good too. So now you'll have to do another one for the competition. Work, work nothing but work Brady. :D