PDA

View Full Version : SATA & Firewire together?

Steve Millikan
04-22-2005, 06:50 AM
I'm participating in the Platinum group buy and have a question: I've been reading about the Raptor SATA drives, and am thinking about buying one..my question is, can I split the library between an internal SATA drive, and an external firewire drive?

Those of you who use a couple of drives for the library - what's the best way to configure it?

Doug Rogers
04-22-2005, 07:34 AM
I'm participating in the Platinum group buy and have a question: I've been reading about the Raptor SATA drives, and am thinking about buying one..my question is, can I split the library between an internal SATA drive, and an external firewire drive?

Those of you who use a couple of drives for the library - what's the best way to configure it?

If you use firewire it MUST be firewire 800, however, your internal Raptor will still work better. WD have a 74Gb drive which holds the complete library. Don't put any software on this drive, only the sample data.

- Doug

Steve Millikan
04-22-2005, 08:50 AM
Thanks, Doug... are you saying it's better to have the library exclusively on the internal Raptor rather than split between the Raptor and an external firewire 800?

Doug Rogers
04-22-2005, 09:08 AM
Thanks, Doug... are you saying it's better to have the library exclusively on the internal Raptor rather than split between the Raptor and an external firewire 800?

That's what I would do - the WD SATA 10,000rpm drives are fast, and accordingly give you the best performance.

- Doug

Steve Millikan
04-22-2005, 09:22 AM
Okay, one more question - what about having 2 of the internal WD 10,000 rpm drives? I would need to get the hardware to be able to do that, but I'm looking ahead to when I have the Platinum upgrade as well as the Platinum.

Doug Rogers
04-22-2005, 03:57 PM
Okay, one more question - what about having 2 of the internal WD 10,000 rpm drives? I would need to get the hardware to be able to do that, but I'm looking ahead to when I have the Platinum upgrade as well as the Platinum.

That works great too!

- Doug

Scott Rogers
04-22-2005, 04:12 PM
Doug, have you tried using the Raptors externally with one of these?

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Firmtek/SATA1SEN2/

I'm curious to know how well this works.

neoTypic
04-22-2005, 05:11 PM
Also curious if anyone has any experience with the 16MB cache HDs since they score similiarily to the Raptors in the stress tests while having bigger capacities which would allow for storage of the Platinum + Pro upgrade on the same drive.

Chaim Goldman
05-02-2005, 09:11 AM
Doug, have you tried using the Raptors externally with one of these?

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Firmtek/SATA1SEN2/

I'm curious to know how well this works.

I'm also interested in this...