PDA

View Full Version : Large String Sections

aplanchard
04-22-2005, 08:22 AM
I have Gold and am trying to figure out what advantages are gained sonically by splitting out two multi-note string parts across the five string sections versus assigning the two parts to the same Large String patch.

Can any one shed some light on how the "Large String Section" patches in Gold are set up? If I play a middle C, is it:

(1) played in unison by all strings sections that cover that note (violins 1 and 2, violas and cellos); or

(2) are the sections layed out in non-overlapping (or cross-faded) octaves (e.g., assuming middle C is C4 -- cellos cover C2 to B2; violas C3 to B3; 2nd violins C4 to B4; 1st violins C5 on up).

And finally, if you have two tracks accessing the same Large Strings patch and the parts overlap in places (creating unisons), will that cause phasing issues?

I know it is "better" to split out the parts for programming flexibility and "realism" but the large patches are a good sounding alternative. By the way, I do haveto open two instances of Gold, otherwise I get weird dropouts, especially when the attacks from the two parts are very close together.

obmit
04-22-2005, 12:20 PM
1. Not too sure but sounds like an overlapping spread,

You will get phasing.

The other issue is that Melodies will split accross the sections and use the same notes as the harmonies.

If you have a tune that should be in the celli but go into their top register, it will be more of a viola sound. Same if it is a 1st violin melody. As you get lower it will go more viola and pan to the center. Also if you have a melody that crosses the harmony parts it will use the same samples. No biggy but will kill any realism you may be trying to make.

The ensembles are good for skecthing and for tutti hits and pads. They are not ideal for making it sound like a real orchestra. If you want to keep your ensemble patches consider at least adding a 18vln patch to the melody.

Obmit

aplanchard
04-23-2005, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the reply Obmit. I figured. Hmm, still sounds interesting though.

AndyFinkenstadt
04-23-2005, 10:18 PM
I have Gold with library update 2.5, and there are 5 different large string sections. I had some fun playing around with direct-from-MIDI-piano playing (no expression controller, just weighted keys with sustain pedal) on the large string sections this evening.

It took a little practice to get used to instruments whose sustain effect is not to decay like a piano's does, and I had to change the velocity-touch sensivity to avoid overdriving the instrument with my normal playing style. But the end result is, I might use this string section to do sketches of various arrangements before assigning them to parts.

And if I had recorded the midi stream, i might ahve been able to adjust the velocity of errant notes and just left well enough alone.