PDA

View Full Version : Ascension

Liam
04-24-2005, 03:30 PM
I posted this in the contest area, but I wanted to post it here too for feedback.Going for the big Hollywood drama/fantasy flowing feel on this one. Mostly created with GOLD, choir is from Silver, additional percussion is Stormdrum, ethnic instruments are from Rare Instruments.
All comments are welcome!

Liam

Ascension (http://web.tampabay.rr.com/rip/MP3s/Ascension.mp3)

metrobot
04-24-2005, 04:54 PM
beautiful stuff. The structure is kinda wild, but it gives it a fantasia sound. Some of the ethnic singing and flutey stuff in the beginning sounds nice, but I bet it's the exact same sounds everyone who owns Rare Instruments uses.

Once the choirs and strings come in, of course everything totally changes. I think it's really effective. Maybe doesn't sound like an acoustic orchestra (probably too many violins going on at the same time for that) but that's not the point, imo. Sounds great. Excellent decorative scoring.

Liam
04-24-2005, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the comments Metrobot! You're right, I was going for a more fantasy type feel. It's funny that you mentioned the familiar Rare Instruments parts in the intro, it was different before, I had previously used some sounds from Atmosphere instead, but I had to change it to EWQL sounds to qualify for the contest. :rolleyes:

Liam

Kayamb
04-25-2005, 07:03 AM
That's pretty nice. I like the percussions at the beginning. Really sets the atmosphere. I like the choirs as well. Too bad it's so short, I would have had it keeping on for a while like that :)

Nice job!

Liam
04-30-2005, 01:57 PM
I hate to have to ask this, but there hasn't been much response, so does anyone else who has listened have any comments or critiques? I'd love to hear what you have to say, good or bad!

Kayamb, thank you for the comment! I agree, it is a bit short, I hope to expand on the theme in the near future, and may need some remixing.

Thanks,

Liam

matthew82475
05-06-2005, 12:20 PM
Hey Liam,

I wasn't going to say anything, but Ascension sounds disturbingly similar to Hans Zimmer's Ascension music written for the movie K2. That's not to say that immitation isn't the sincerest form of flattery, but I think the piece lacks a bit of originality.

My only musical critique would be a lack of structure. The piece doesn't really go from one place to another with much intent. It sort of meanders about several different interesting textures but lacks a clear sense of direction. Coupled with a piece of film it would probably do well; however, as a stand alone piece of music I would say it could use some clarity of intent.

Just some thoughts...for what they're worth.

Best Wishes,

Matt

Liam
05-06-2005, 10:08 PM
Thanks for he reply Matthew. The structure is a bit wild on this piece I agree. I was writing it as a cue. I have to say I'm still not quite happy with the transition from the ethnic intro into the orchestral, but the piece was a bit rushed, so I'll probably rework that. Now you said it sounds similar to a Hans Zimmer piece, was it actually called Ascension also? I'm not quite sure what K2 is, but I'll look into it because now I'm curious. The theme I was actually structuring this piece around was more of a Passion of the Christ type theme. Thats where the title Ascension came from. Thanks again for the critique, I appreciate it!

P.S. Do you know where I can hear a sample of that Hans Zimmer piece?

Thanks,
Liam

UPDATE: I looked up K2, looks like his track was called "The Ascent" I still haven't found a sample of that piece yet though.

James W.G. Smith
05-07-2005, 02:02 AM
Hey there, I played through this piece about three times to get my ducks in a row and I would have to agree on the "direction" remark mentioned previously. You do have some great textures here but I didn't really notice anything that came out, slapped me in the face and said "LISTEN DAMNIT!". But of course I am just one of those people that want obvious themes so that is not to say this is a bad piece, I just wanted to it break free at some point. Anyhow, good job, and if you make a longer one let me know :D .

James W.G. Smith

(The beginning of it does sound ALOT like something I have heard before though, but I can't figure out what)

Liam
05-07-2005, 02:24 AM
(The beginning of it does sound ALOT like something I have heard before though, but I can't figure out what)

Hey James,

Another late night composer I see! :D I did stick with variations on one melody after the intro, but I think with it being so short, you're right, maybe it didn't have time to progress much further. I think the intro sounds familiar because I used an ethnic flute phrase from Rare Instruments that has been used before I'm sure. The intro was changed to qualify for the contest, (to use EWQL sounds). It wasn't my original idea, so I'm hoping to revise it later and extend the piece like you mentioned.

Thanks for the comments!

Liam

matthew82475
05-07-2005, 09:17 AM
Liam,

Sorry, you're correct it is called "The Ascent". Hans Zimmer was hired to compose the music for the film K2 (released 1992 & directed by Frank Roddam). However, after the final cut of the film was made Zimmer's music was not used. The music survives, though, in a special CD realease which I found several years ago. If I remember correctly, it was a bit tough to find. It was released under the Varese Sarabande label and published by Miramax films.

I'm surprised to hear that you weren't specifically trying to evoke the feel Hans Zimmer created. If you can find a copy of it, you'll be amazed how similar your piece really is. I guess you must have film music in your blood. :D

Matt

Veron
05-12-2005, 12:17 AM
Nice composition :)
The begining had the feeling of "Gladiator", which I like.
Rare Instrument sounds really nice.

Also, I don`t know about K2, but I also have an experience,
which I`ve been told "your music is very similar to xxxxx",
but I haven`t heard that "xxxxx" music before.
Maybe all of the motif`s, good melodies and stuff have been used,
and all we have left to do is , reconstruct them, IMHO..

Sorry for being a little off topic .

Liam
05-12-2005, 11:18 PM
Nice composition :)
The begining had the feeling of "Gladiator", which I like.
Rare Instrument sounds really nice.

Also, I don`t know about K2, but I also have an experience,
which I`ve been told "your music is very similar to xxxxx",
but I haven`t heard that "xxxxx" music before.
Maybe all of the motif`s, good melodies and stuff have been used,
and all we have left to do is , reconstruct them, IMHO..

Sorry for being a little off topic .

Thanks Veron. You're right, I'm sure that does happen quite often where someone hears a motif they feel they've heard before. I think that can happen very easily if you are going for certain feel or emotion, and another film has that same goal. I try to write mostly as cues, and not stand alone pieces. After all, how many of us are really trying to write a "song" anyway? Probably not many. As long as the theme, emotion, or feeling you're trying to get across is there, and the listener or viewer feels it, then we've done our job. I guess I went a bit off topic too! :D

Liam

ToddK
05-13-2005, 07:52 PM
Depending on the job, coming up with really "Familiar" sounding themes
is good.
It can get you work. Alot of clients i find, dont know what they want, until
they hear it. So you have to find out what they like, and then give them
something they can somewhat recognize and relate to something else
they heard.
Sometimes you'll feel like thats not what's best for the project, but sometimes
what's best for the project doesnt get you hired. ;)
Other times you can manage to impose your will.
Its a wierd buisness indeed.:) You've got alot of music supervisors
out there who dont know sh!t about music. :) Strange thing eh...

I thought that was a nice composition Liam. Great choice of sounds.
Great mix. I saw a mention of "no direction" but i didnt take this piece
that way. I see it as more of a soundscape/ or a vibe/ mood setter for
picture.
Great job. I didnt hear anything i would change.
TK

lovelysilence
05-14-2005, 02:13 AM
Liam, I love this mate. You show off plenty of talent there. Keep up the good work and we'll hear you in future film scores no doubt.

Liam
05-20-2005, 10:01 PM
Liam, I love this mate. You show off plenty of talent there. Keep up the good work and we'll hear you in future film scores no doubt.

Thank you for the nice comments Lovelysilence an ToddK! I always love to hear from people here. It really helps to get an outside honest opinion on new music pieces. I think it makes us all better in the long run!

Thanks again all! :D